The winter of my discontent.

Logan

There seem to be a quite a number of jobs advertised in our local paper every week , obviously if one is not completely fluent in French and does not have the skills they are looking for - no point applying. So obviously in the UK, a native English speaker would have 1/2 a chance of getting a reasonable job.

But I definitely think the quality of life is better here, if and a big if I know, money is not too much of an issue. We manage happily on far less than in the UK and are happy to do without the non essentials.

I,for one am happy to give up the pursuit of keeping up with the Jones' or even trying to keep my head above water every month in the Uk, just to be here.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]Propably went over the top on the 'garden' theme. (close to my heart at present)The doubt that I am the only one that seems to have a different pair of eyes when I go to France, things that I probably...[/quote]

Gay.Quite right on all points,Maple durham just around the corner from you will look its best in a couple of weeks or less,as will Westonbirt Arboreteum.

Haven't been to Mapledurham for a while, perhaps we will take a look this weekend.

Viva, I gave up keeping up with the Jones many years ago, I thought it was a more mature outlook, but perhaps its part of being a grumpy old woman.

If your friends really care what you have or haven't got are they really friends you want ? In fact, are they really your friends ??

[quote]Haven't been to Mapledurham for a while, perhaps we will take a look this weekend. Viva, I gave up keeping up with the Jones many years ago, I thought it was a more mature outlook, but perhaps its par...[/quote]

Re. The Jones, who are they?

Like Gay, I have no need to "keep up" with the Jones, the equivalent French family or anyone else.

Gill

I'm not saying that anyone on here is trying to keep up with the Jones's its just that consumerism is such a big big deal in Britain at the moment. A lot of people have to have things - now and cannot see why they should wait or/and save for them.

I found myself driving miles to do a stressful job to obviously provide a wage for household bills etc but to also finance things that I didn't really need eg a second car, holidays abroad etc and child care costs!

Friends in the UK tell me that they are having to work harder, longer etc just to stand still. 

I don't feel that the Government here is urging me out to work ( which is just as well really ) For me life is simpler, a little poorer but a lot better, thats all!