Break In

Aitch

My house suffered from a break-in over the weekend. Thankfully it appears to be non-vindictive and the only thing taken was a RIDGEBACK mountain bike. I don't think it's as a result of the recent riots (you never know). Damage was small but windows/ lock on front door/ shutters, had been forced to gain entry. The police discovered it on their routine patrols and notified my neighbour ( who was able to effect repairs). I later contacted the police and during the conversation asked for a crime reference number. They said they did not have one, unless I missed it in the translation. As I now need to inform the Insurance Company etc. I foresee lots of bureaucracy and paperwork. Can anyone give some some advice as to how to deal with this or is the French System a parallel to the UK one?

Thanks,

Aitch

When I had a MTB nicked off a French campsite, one year, on holiday, I reported it, got the usual Gallic shrug, and claimed on my UK insurance when I got back.

My UK insurers were only interested in the name of the police station where I reported it.

Alcazar

PS: I have four MTBs in the barn at our french property. The barn is padlocked, (obviously), and the bikes have a 15 foot Kryptonite cable wrapped round them through each frame and round an 8" beam, D-locked at the ends. Further shorter cables protect the wheels which are QR type, so easily nicked. Now I'm not saying anyone couldn't get them if they REALLY wanted them, but the amount of noise they'd make would definitely arouse our neighbour's German shepherd.........

When my car was broken into, the police came round, wrote out a crime report and I sent that to my insurance company and as it was a car, details of the garage where the repairs were to be done for their inspector.

When I needed to claim on my house policy you need:

a. a lot of luck and determination.

b. a sense of humour

c. to have no hope for actually getting any money from your insurance company(certainly not in the foreseeable future)

d. etc.

Two years “down the line and 3 “experts” having visited my insurance claim is still not settled. I believe somebody here once commented that the French regard insurance as another form of tax – which in my experience is quite true.

A bit more seriously, call your agent and they should authorise and immediate expenses to make the house secure. They will probably tell you to get quotes, etc. but they would be the ones who know what your ploicy covers and what their company procedures are.

Ian

Thankfully, have had a lot of help from neighbours and friends so repairs have been effected, as well as the fact that they have emailed me pictures. I might possibly need new door and shutters as a result. I hope to speak to the Insurance tomorrow, but as is always with instances like this, it is hassle I can do without. I have determination and a sense of humour, patience is sometimes lacking as my wife keeps telling me. Thanks for the responses.

Aitch 

I’m really in the dark about all this break-in stuff. I live in a town of 20, 000 in the states, have a home and two businesses, and have (knock on wood) never had anything stolen in twenty five years!. So, the concept of locking barns and bikes is new to me. We plan to move to France next year, will we be able to survive? I can’t imagine being so “proactive”. It’s just not me, guess I’ll need a big dog so he can worry about those details...

[quote]I think Alcazar may just have suffered another coffee / keyboard conflict[/quote]

Well after losing a Motor Torpedo Boat you would need a coffee,

Good job he has three left in his barn, most people keep theirs in a harbour though  Wonder where he keeps his his torpedoes, next to his baseball bat

Break-ins,theft etc not very nice and worse when you are absent. However,you may be interested to know,if you have a branch near you, that the CMB do burglar alarms and protection devices. I went in our local branch on thursday and there was a very large expo of all different equipment,details of guarantees and workmanship etc. Might pay you to ask and possibly get some cheaper house insurance through them at the same time.

This thread reminds me that we are going to change our insurers at next renewal, after poor experience with the present ones. I had thought of going to another French insurer but now I'm wondering about going with one of the British insurers that handle insurance on French properties. What are people's experiences of this, so far as price and service are concerned?

Patrick

Not able to consider burglar alarms yet as we do not have electricity at the property (currently a/w EDF and poles but that's another saga) but i'll certainly be investigating the options when the electricity is installed. As fo the MTB, or whatever anyone else wants to call it I don't expect to see it return, but for those around the Le Blanc/ Saint Gaultier area, it's a RIDGEBACK 601 LX, Yellow/ Blue with shimano gearing and rack. It's quite distinctive, plus it's not sold in France.

Aitch

Got a photo? Get one off the internet? Got a computer?

Make up some "Stolen/vole" posters and have them dispalyed around the local area.

At least then, if the thief is local, he/she can't ride it/sell it on.

Alcazar

BTW: I got mine back! It was nicked from a campsite near Frejus. Around 6 months later, the campsite owner, who was devastated when it was stolen, rang me to tell me he'd done some detective work, tracked it down, and demanded it back, or the thief's grandma would no longer be welcome at her mobile home on his site!

Lo and behold, it came back to them, and was then shipped to me, at their cost (they insisted, and would not take any, even part, payment).

Meanwhile, I'd claimed off my insurance and bought a better one. I contacted my insurers, who simply told me if it came back, it was mine to do with as I pleased.

It now belongs to a good mate in Lille.

Alcazar

I don't have picture at home, and the brochure has long since gone. However, I have been able to source another pic so I'll be copying and emailing that to the police and the mayor etc., as i'm not in France at the moment. I'm inclined to think that they are juveniles. The bike is so distinctive it will stand out from the run of the mill ATB's. At least I can hope!

When we had our series of break-ins culminating finally in a loss of all the furniture we had transported down and stored in a newly secured barn (a very large van full); we found the local gendarmerie quite happy to give us a copy of the crime reference, which they said we would need for the insurance.
(AXA had refused cover for theft and vandalism, since we don't live in the property; guess who won't be getting the renewal).
However the gendarmerie did ask for photographs of all the items we had stolen, unfortunately we didn't have many and they quickly lost interest. The insurance broker also suggested that photo's would have been essential if we had been able to make a claim!. So when our renovation is sorted and we get round to furnishing it again we will be taking photo's of everything in sight.

http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=288&MessageID=212149

If anyone sees an Edwardian Satin wood Double wardrobe with Tall boy and matching wash stand and full length dressing mirror drawer set up for sale, or some barley twist drop leaf oval oak tables let us know!

John & Sue (Bristol & 16)