Just when you think it's safe....

......to answer the door, along comes a pompier with his big handful.  Of calendars, that is.

I really don't mind, and always give WILLINGLY.   Usually they just say a nice thankyou and go on their way.   But this one came in the gate and all the way down to the door and stayed and talked.   And truly, as I looked UP into these lovely lovely eyes, I was gabbling away semi-intelligently while my head was awhirl and wanted to say  "You.  Are.  Absolutely.  Gorgeous." 

I am still all a-flutter, I just can't believe it!   And he was wearing BOOTS, too...... and those long legs.....

Ah well.  Here comes Mr SB arriving on his bike.  Be still, my beating heart!   

A couple of years ago the local fire service were collecting at a local supermarket and several of them could have changed their careers to be on the catwalk (the female ones that is). Struck me then that the UK requirement for a fireperson to be able to lift a small lorry single handed does not apply in France and that beauty can be an “equivalent qualification”.

But none of them (the supermodel ones that is) ever visit me to check if I’m short of calendars.

Ian

Ahem SB, so going by just how some fires are started by pompiers themselves (overtime issue on occasion!) can we expect some sudden "bush fires" next year when the temperature rises.....and ones own flames are burning for that one petit moment with Jean-Pierre le beau pompier........

Now now, titter ye not, that was a serious demand, bush fires can be seen all over the south every summer

No no no, I had absolutely nothing to do with the little forest fire at the end of our road a couple of months ago.  No really, I wasn't even in the country at the time.  Well, okay, I was, I was right here, but you know, I mean, it was at least 60 metres away.....

Truly, this man was drop-dead gorgeous.  We have no staircase up to this little mezzanine just now, access is by a ladder, so descent is slow.   When I finally got down there and looked up at him, I said something like "sorry about that, it takes me a long time to get down the ladder.  Bet you're really good at it though".

Aaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

I think they recruit from male model agencies in September just for the calendar months of October and November. 'Cos I never see the cute ones at any other time. And y'now, I have no issue with that. None at all. <is there a 'smirk' icon I can use...?>

[quote]......to answer the door, along comes a pompier with his big handful. Of calendars, that is. I really don't mind, and always give WILLINGLY. Usually they just say a nice thankyou and go on their w...[/quote]

A year ago last July at 0300 we had to call them out for me. Five of them arrived in 12 minutes and whisked me off to the Hospital in St Malo. They literally saved my life. Later my wife started talking about one who was 'drop-dead gorgeous' and I started to worry for my own safety that she might do something dreadful to me just so she could call him out again. (g) Needless to say our contribution for the calendar was more than generous that year. Madame lucked-out because it was he who came to the door. I did manage to prevent her from giving him 10,000 Euros, however. (g) I have to admit that he was one good-looking hunk.

There just isn't enough praise we can heap on these people and the job they do.

Well I once had seven of them in my bedroom! all there in the course of their duty though.

OMG, they do bedroom duty too??????   I wonder if they need some in-house training...... mind you, they'd probably take one look at me and ask if they could do it by correspondence course instead! 

• 3 weeks later...
I was out in the fields this afternoon and heard a car door. Went to the road and saw somebody in uniform but a private car. By the time I had walked to the house he had gone. They it clicked. My opportunity to get next years calendar in advance of the official start to the year.

Juts out of interest, how much do people donate ?

Ian