Adapting

Teamedup

I find it really easy to drive either a right hand drive or left hand drive car. And find it easy to drive on the right hand side of the road or the left hand side.

What I find really really hard is swopping from a qwerty keyboard to an azerty key board and back again. Is there a way of easily adapting as I haven't sussed it yet.

As many people probably know, the QWERTY keyboard was designed in the days of mechanical typewriters. The idea behind them was to slow your typing such that the mechanical components did not jam. The French took this a stage further and designed the AZERTY keyboard basically to stop you typing anything at all (or for experts, to limit you to speeds that are of no benefit and not worth bothering about).

Ian

Its having to press the shift key to get a full stop that gets me. I’m sure the AZERTY bit would not be too hard, but shift for a full stop !

Also, I’m so used to QWERTY – the labels on my laptop have now mostly worn off (company too broke to buy me a new one) so I have to use the keyboard pretty much from memory anyway and starting on an AZERTY might just make my laptop unusable !

Ian

The Azertyuiop keyboard only knows it is French if you let the system tell it that it is - try changing the windows keyboard setting to read UK or Qwertyuiop and hey presto! sorry, voila! - it works - but be warned - it is very confusing if you can only type by looking at the keys!

It all depends on what you're used to. I started with a QWERTY keyboard (first a typewriter and then a wordprocessor thing) but when we bought our first computer, I had to get used to the AZERTY keyboard. For the first months, there was a lot of gobbledy-gook and I had to check it all as our computer only had French spellcheck. Now, I'm so used to using a French keyboard that when I use my parents' computer in the UK, I'm back to typing with one finger hoving over the keyboard while I look for the right key.

I use an AZERTY at home (husband needs it) and a QUERTY at work, so I'm always mixing up q's and a's. But it helps that our home keyboard is a Microsoft "natural" keyboard where the left-hand and right-hand keys are slightly separated, so my hands are in a different position when using it. It seems to help my brain make the conversion!