Euphoric France Syndrome

Teamedup

Nobody has to read le bouffon's messages.  It is quite simple to look at the name of the poster and skip a bit.

I do it all the time[:)]  No, not le bouffon but there are others who are not on the same planet as me.  I would never say that they should not post however.

Mad as they are!!![:^)]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was I doing 30 years ago, ah yes, going off to darkest Africa - Nigeria to be exact, Lagos and Ashaka in the desert. They spoke a different language at Ashaka but we managed - many of our friends were taking the plunge as well. It was work (just in the way that TU went with her husband for work) and we managed not to get shot.

Next it was Chile, the tanks were still on the street corners but again - we got paid for what we did (why did idiots like us go to places like that if not to get out of the rut and get up a rung on the ladder). Whilst I was there the earth moved quite literally on a daily basis and once for a long and nasty time - I have due respect for earthquakes ever since.

Finally it was Mexico City - give me either of the other two in in preference - Chile being the best place.

No TU, in the circles below Watford Gap and many above, we packed our bags and went where we were sent if we were lucky enough to get a chance of a job abroad - it was better than renting a flat and could get us the deposit for the better house we wanted. I also took the children - life is for living.

I think that those who come to France expecting it to be a 'long holiday' probably find that it is and have to return 'home' when the holiday money runs out. I have always said I have never worked so hard and I know that the same is for John. John came to France, I did the thing many of you despise, I left the UK but I had mentally left it years before.

Women are not all able - either for money or mental reasons to be at home for their families when they need them, TU was. I was sent back to work on the advice of a doctor - neither state is wrong.

TU, you might be different from your local friends and relations, but you are not that different from the people I know in the UK and the younger they are now the more likely they are to leave (one of my sons has just gone to OZ and our friends two children have also just gone there - no time limit, they just want a change of scene).

I hope that things go well for you now you are back in the UK - if I do ever have to return it will be for the shortest time possible while I find out where else an old fart can go and live some sort of life away from the 'green and pleasant land'.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

I've been away for a few days and missed some of the thread.  According to James (Forum Admin) it seems that being banned makes no difference so long as you come back using a different name even when the person concerned admits to being the person previously banned.

Admin and Mods, is that right?

[/quote]

Is that the question? The answer is basically yes, though it's not quite as simple as that. For one thing, anybody stupid enough to admit to being a banned member is liable to be banned again at the first sign of any breach of the code of conduct.

More to the point, why do you need to know? [6]

Hi Will

Sorry Will, that's not the point at all and to try to duck the issue with a question to me questioning my motives is not the article is it?   It's not that I NEED to know, I'm just curious about the way that the rules are applied here that's all.  I'm just trying to understand the criteria for being slung out and why some people get away with being rude, aggressive and the like.

Obviously if somebody is banned, comes back and then lets everybody know, directly or indirectly, that they're the banned person, like other users here I would have expected the Mods to deal with that person.  And as the Forum Admin person seems to have confirmed Mr O is indeed le bouffon, as other people have suggested that he is in the past, I thought that the Mods would do something about it but apparently not.  Apparently the banned person now has to commit another breach of the rules to get banned.

What I don't understand is why people that have been banned feel the need to come back here at all - like being banned from a pub, why go back when all you're going to get is grief unless you just want to wind people up or continue to be obnoxious which is why most people seem to get banned in the first place.

And there was me thinking you were asking about coming back as you were about to do something to get yourself banned [:D]

As far as I know returning with a new identity after having a registration terminated is not in breach of the code of conduct. There may well have been a lot of speculation about any former identities of some users. I don't personally subscribe to such conspiracy theories. We have better ways of spending our time (like earning money to hand over to the French government) than cross-checking registration details of members or going through every posting looking for clues as to who might have been whom in an earlier life. If somebody is breaking the forum rules  (and being rude or aggressive is not necessarily proscribed by the code of conduct), regardless of whether or not he/she may have been banned previously, then if the incident is reported to admin, the appropriate action will be taken. I am not aware of any valid and official complaints about user 'le bouffon' other than speculation that he/she may have been banned before. If we receive complaints about any user and they turn out to have been previously banned then, depending on their 'offence', their registration would quite likely be cancelled immediately without again going through the usual process of warnings.

That is how such things are dealt with. If users want more, then Living France would have to consider charging for access to the forum in order to pay for full-time administrators. We trust users to be capable of behaving sensibly, and to sort out disagreements among themselves in an amicable and adult manner. 'Banning' is a last resort, and is of dubious value for several reasons, not least because it is the easiest thing in the world to re-register.

No, I don't understand why a banned person would bother to come back. But apparently some do return.