back to the phone after about 10 minutes.  When I went back to the

phone it had not disconnected, but no voice was heard - I hit the

disconnect button.

Does anyone have any clue what this is???  Since the number

appears as withheld, I cannot call it back to find out what the heck is

going on.  Is there some way I can either get the number that is

calling me or stop the calls coming???

Other than this odd bit, my phone seems to receive and make phone calls

normally, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with my phone.

Really driving me nutty.

It's probably an automated dialing system, we get this a lot, those irritating calls asking if you want double glazing, you have won a prize,want your walls sealed??? etc.etc they have a system that dials lots of numbers at once and the first one picked up they speak to.... the rest?....well left hanging [:@] they don't care that they are bothering you 10 times a day for no reason do they[:@] and the numbers withheld because they don't want you phoning back and bothering them now do they [;-)]

Bassman - yes, that is the first thing I thought of, but I just can't

figure out why no one replies.when I answer the phone.  I get

those "we are in your area and want to offer you a free devis" 

for this that and the other thing, but they always talk.  Since,

during periods in the day it happens every 10 minutes, I figured my

number was in some que for callback, but I answer the call.  I

thought your number was put in a que when either no one answers or they

get an answering machine.

Yes, the "withheld" thing is maddening.  If it continues to

tomorrow, I will call France Telecom to find out if they have some

procedure for dealing with this. ...  God only knows what their

reply will be.

I find these calls seem to go in phases.  I will get a lot (sometimes hanging-up when I answer, sometimes people wanting to sell something), then they disappear for a month or so.  I don’t know if they are targeting things regionally hence the cyclic nature.

There is an “orange list” (or something similar – check in the Telephone and internet section as it has been detailed within the last few months).  I believe you can subscribe to it via FT’s web site and I believe its free and in theory it should stop you getting such marketing calls.

Ian

Christine - I agree with you on that.  However, sometimes I wonder

if someone might calling to determine if anyone is home, with the idea

of burglary.  Okay, I am too often on my own (hubby overseas) and

my mind does wander. 

Deimos - THANKS !!!!   I went to the website and listed my

number on the Orange List.  How invaluable.  If I still have

problems, I will consider the Red List.

Another reason I LOVE this forum !!!

It just started up again (1:27 pm).  This time, I picked it up and

said Oui Allo.  No response and I stay on the line, but say

nothing more.  It is as if someone is on the other end and after

five or eight seconds, there is a click and the line hangs up. 

This makes six calls today - with only a break between 10:52 am and

1:27 pm.   Just doesn't seem to fit the "we would like to

sell you something" calls.

I think there is a cold calling system whereby 20 numbers are auto-dialled for say 5 operators. Whichever numbers are the first 5 to be answered by a householder are the ones the operators take. Other numbers may also be answered but by then the operators are occupied so after a few moments, the other calls cut out. I don't know whether this system is operating in France, but perhaps so. Two other things you could do - speak with France Telecom as there may be something they can do...? Or, if you think it is a person plaguing your rather than an auto dialling system, wait a few moments to give a legitimate caller time to speak and then blow a sports whistle loudly down the phone. [Www]

It does sound like telesales automatic diallers.  Certainly in the UK (and I imaging in France as well), to make sure the people working in the call centres are kept fully occupied and at 100% productivity, the automated diallers try to avoid call centre people waiting for your phone to ring a few times before you answer.  To avoid this they work statistically and “predictably” and dial the number before there is anybody available in the call centre to actually talk to you.  The automated dialler hopes that by the time you have arrived at your phone and answered, one of their call staff will have finished the call they are on and will be ready to talk to you – which is often not the case.  They (the diallers) hold the line for a short time in case any of their staff finish on an existing call and can thus talk to you but if not, they then hang-up.

They are designed to keep their staff working flat-out and have no concept of “considerate behaviour” to potential customers.

I don’t know about the Orange List but in the UK the equivalent’ish thing (the Telephone Preference4 Service) takes a month or so before having any effect.  Its crude technology but in the UK, telemarketing are meant to filter their call lists every now and then with the TPS lists.  In the UK its non a check as the call is made.  Assuming the Orange List works in a similar way then it will be a bit of time before there is a reduction in the calls.

In the UK the TPS is not 100% but when you get to speak to the company and tell them the rules they are breaking then they do tend to become very polite and stop calling you.

If you have it happening e.g. once per day then it is probably the same company with a bad autodialler.  Most auto-diallers should be set to remove your number from the list for at least a day before re-trying is they “hung-up” on you (at least that is my impression from when I had it happen in the UK.

I think it unlikely that people wanting to check if you were in would call repeatedly as it would become too traceable (but that’s just my opinion – no knowledge, just opinion).

Ian

Lori, call me paranoid, but I would be starting to wonder if it isn't a prank caller or worse.  If it goes on, I would go to your nearest FT office (I always find these things are so much better to do in person) and talk to someone there.  If it is someone doing it on purpose, FT may be able to put a trace thingie on the line.

Good luck.

PG

Thanks Ian - that was a wealth of information.  I suppose that

could be happening.  If these autodialers could add some sort of a

recorded announcement that would help, but I guess then everyone would

hang up, but that is what they end up doing anyway - and frustrating

the potential customer (if that is in fact what is happening).

PG - There is an FT in nearby Carpentras.  If this continues I

will stop by there and talk with them.  I can't imagine people

tolerate this type of thing.

Ian, I'm sure you are right that if someone was in fact suveying the

place, they would not call so often.  That put my mind at ease.

Seems to have let up now.  We'll see how this evening and tomorrow go.

Ian has provided a majority of the answers to your problem.

In a call centre, the equipment which initiaties the random dialling process, is called a Predictive Dialler. We used to refer to them as Call Stackers. The sequentially plough through the "Stack" until all the numbers have been called and have failed to "Mature" (or be answered) or have in fact been answered. Thus these dreadful devices persist for a set number of attempts until they Wipeout. And try again the next day!

This all a result of what is called CTI (Computer Telephony Integration), which is a buzzy way to express telephone systems being controlled by computers.

Call Centre system use what is called Data Mining: which simply put, is a software process to correlate names with a task. Thus the system trawls through the core database for customers or prospects and aligns these with the service they are offering.

As systems progress, what is called Consumer Profiling should help both businesses and consumers, by more accurately aligning offered products/services to potential customers.

The optimal way is what is called Opt-In Marketing; i.e. only pitching to people who have agreed to receive sales calls.

The telephone service providers just love this stuff, as with each matured (answered) call, they earn a line revenue, even though the caller fails to reply.

All modern telephone exchanges are now digital: they are fully capable of tracking every called number and every calling number (Number Recognition), even where the caller opts for non-revelation of their number.

If you pressurise FT enough by complaining of nuisance, then they can take action: the hard thing is to persuade them to do so!

Non Caller Response calls from call centres is probably the greatest annoyance to residential subscribers: as are overseas call centres where the operators cannot adequately speak the mother tongue of the country they are calling.........................

Complain, vigorously, to FT and maintain nuisance is being caused. As it is, in truth.

[quote user="Lori"]Ian, I'm sure you are right that if someone was in fact suveying the place, they would not call so often.
[/quote]

I know that in the UK they do not need to put a trace on a line to identify who made a call – i.e. it is not possible for the caller to withhold their number from BT.  However, the normal operators cannot get at the number you have to get through to some special department who will then not give out the number.  However, if you complain often enough, then argue like made I know this department does give out the number, company name and company address as I got that info in such circumstances before (but it takes a lot of arguing and they are not meant to).

Anyway, point is that I’m sure the police can get the numbers much easier and thus I’m sure any criminals will know that as well, thus repeated calling would just identify them should they then break-in or anything.

Above is UK info, but I’m sure the French system cannot be too different in terms of capabilities.

Ian

Dont know if it exists in France but in the UK the Telephone preference service does not stop these computor generated calls, but you can stop them by registering with a system called 'Silentguard'.

Unlike the TPS you have to renew your registration annually but it is free. The number to register on can be obtained from the BT operator.

It would be worth calling France Telecom to see if they have a similar service.

cheminot