South African Visitors.....welcome or not ?

Hi ,

We have some South African friends who would like to come and stay with us during their holidays . They are UK residents with permanent residency permits . They have been advised that it is lots of paperwork and awkward for them to visit France . They have also been told that they would be unpopular !? .

Could anyone advise as to whether this is correct or not ......and if so why ?

In our own experience the locals are very friendly and we think they are being misled but we thought we would check .

Many thanks .

Notwithstanding they have UK permanent residence permits, I believe as South African Nationals they will require a visa to vist France, even on holiday.

Visa requirements are usually dictated by your nationality and the passport you hold, not where you are currently resident.

I believe you apply for a Schenigan Treaty Visa which also covers other EU countries such as Spain, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium. The UK although part of the EU did not sign up for the Schenigan Treaty, hence immigration controls between the UK and other EU countries such as France.

Do they not have any EU national parents or grandparents, that would qualify them for an EU country passport as this makes life much easier?

I worked with several South African colleagues resident in the UK until fairly recenly and they did find travelling to Europe problematical, because of the visa requirements. No hostility, just bureaucratic as South Africans are seen rightly or wrongly as an illegal immigration risk.

Hi we are going to our Cottage in France with our South African friend ,the paperwork is astonishing besides a visa they want travel documents where she is staying how long and my driving license details hope this doesnt put you off, coming the other way just a passport wonder who has got there immigration laws correct thanks Don

This is all BS. South Africans have been the butt of many jokes but this is all too much. What is different from your average English person. I would be tempted to give a two fingured salute. Why dont they just apply for a UK passport and travel on that?

What a load of bolox.

UK nationals require a visa to visit many countries outside Europe, such as Russia, Australia and India.

So what is so strange about a non European, such as a South African national, needing a visa to visit Europe?

To apply for British Citizenship, I believe you must have resided in the UK for at least five years.

<< We have some South African friends who would like to come and stay with

us during their holidays . They are UK residents with permanent

residency permits . They have been advised that it is lots of paperwork

and awkward for them to visit France . They have also been told that

they would be unpopular !? >>

So my point is why should they have a problem if they have permanent residency permits. Even if you are a proper UK citizen you dont have the right to live in France for ever so why can't some Soud Afriques come her on a holiday?

As I said previously. This is a load of bolox.

Fulcrum, as I mentioned earlier visa requirements are based on your nationality and the passport you hold, not where you are resident.

Although, they have a permanent UK residence permit they are still South African nationals and therefore do not enjoy any of the benefits of an EU Citizen.

As an EU/British Citizen you would require a South African visa if you wanted to go and live and work in South Africa! 

After five years residency in the UK, they can apply for British Citizenship and get a British passport. Problem solved! 

[quote user="Sprogster"]

UK nationals require a visa to visit many countries outside Europe, such as Russia, Australia and India.

So what is so strange about a non European, such as a South African national, needing a visa to visit Europe?

To apply for British Citizenship, I believe you must have resided in the UK for at least five years.

[/quote]

It's interesting that an Australian doesn't need a visa to visit the UK or France if they are staying under 3 months.

It's not the coming that's the propblem. . .it's the going.

Visa's are a legal way of telling you when your stay has been outwelcomed.

Try marrying a non UK visa national and then trying to travel with said

spouse on a regular basis to you French holiday home from the UK!

D

Why should other foreigners be unpopular? After all,many british in parts of France are hardly popular either and they are foreigners. Whether you are South African or from Mars what does it matter and what a load of rubbish.

Davidball, if you are UK/European then it dosen't matter where your spouse comes from or where you travel with said spouse in Europe/UK. You are entitled to the EU residence permit and 'they' cannot deny it's issue to you. Your spouse can then work, study, live and travel anywhere in Europe the same as you are allowed. I'm Australian and my other half is Brit. We have the permit and we are not even married. I can travel back and forth to England as often as I want to. But, back to the subject, we have had several Sth African guests book and pay deposits to stay with us then discover they need a visa when they get to the airport. If we get enquiries from Sth Af's we now inform them about the visa.

Thanks for the replies , especially sprogster , (very informative and after speaking to embassy 100% spot on )

Just one of those things then , as long as its not anti SA I am sure they will sort out the visa`s etc and come ..

we lived in SA for 20 years and have many friends there, quite a few have been to visit us here in Normandy.  We just go along to our local Marie and get the form stamped by him, confirming we are providing accommodation for them etc.giving our details.  They then submit this to their local embassy to get their visa, none have had a problem, and it has never taken long.  Never a problem when they enter into France.  Far from being unpopular, we have found just the opposite reaction from local friends and neighbours, and the tourist offices we visit.

We lived in SA for many years and have dual citizenship/passports. We arrived here on our British passports but have never hidden the fact that we are also SA nationals. The only time we ever met with any hostility was from a seriously left wing couple of Brits. We have certainly never met with anything but kindness from the French, who, of course, do have their own African ex-colonies.

Anne

Just out of interest Chauffour, why have you decided to move from France to South Africa? I do remember you posting in the past, I believe just after you bought. I had a look at your site and it is lovely.

why move? well, we love France, we had almost 5 great years here, but we always said that France was not the final place (nor is South Africa... maybe...)...

the summers here are fantastic, but the winters too cold and not much to do, while in Cape Town we have many more options... ... i also have some health problems and last summer it was really hard work for me, so in SA it should be a lighter work (only a 2 bedroom B&B plus a website for managing bookings, and help is much cheaper...)

we will miss France, specially our beautiful houses and more than all we will miss our Pizza Club, but one day we might reopen it in Cape Town...

..and for sure we will miss the food, the availability of wine by the litre, the bread...

..anyway it might take years before we find a buyer, so this could not be the last summer...