Electricity Supply

Hi,

We have just updated our kitchen and have installed an electric hob and oven, and now I think we must contact EDF to get our electricty supply upped.

Can anyone tell me the financial implications (if any) of this please?  For example, will we go onto a more expensive (or perhaps cheaper) tariff?

I think we will need to go from 6 kw up to about 12 kw.

Many thanks.

Lou.

The upgrade will (normally) be free.

The abonnement will increase depending on which tarif you are on:

Base: 60.78€ increases to 172.10€

Heures Creuse: 105.82 increases to 272.89

On Tempo a 12/15 or 18kw supply is 222.36€

Tempo is almost always a money saver if you are not 100% reliant on heating by electricity in the winter.

[quote user="Ziggy Stardust"]

Many thanks!

That's a bit frightening, wish we had installed a gas hob now! [blink]

Lou.

[/quote]

What?[blink] With the price of GAS as it is? It's what we did though.

It's a lose-lose situation, really.[:(]

Alcazar

[quote user="Ziggy Stardust"]

Many thanks!

That's a bit frightening, wish we had installed a gas hob now! [blink]

Lou.

[/quote]

EDF are unable to supply any more than the 6kw we have now (inadequate wires on their side). Hope you have more luck. 

John

not

I would get your application in ASAP.

If you have an electric hob and oven as soon as you need to use two rings and the oven you will need to switch off everything else in the house.

You would probably need to have someone  positioned by the tripswitch  to reset it every five minutes.Sad [:(]

I used to have an electric cooker in a previous cottage. Could only have three out of four rings on at a time, or oven+2 or grill+2.
Oh, and obviously not at the same time as the water-heater!  Or the washing machine.  Or the dishwasher.  [:(]

My present house was a new-build, and we assumed all would be normal with that (especially as we were having a bottle-gas cooker!).  But when we asked the electrician whether we would henceforth be able to run dishwasher and washing machine at the same time he looked stunned that anybody would want to do such a crazy thing, and said a firm n-o-n. 
And I can't.

I have just checked my bills to see what level of power I am on, but can't see it mentioned anywhere.  Sorry.

Angela

Angela

There is something strange happening if you cannot have your washing machine and your dishwasher on at the same time with an abonnement of 12Kw. We only have 9Kw but can run the washing machine [2Kw] and the tumble dryer [3.8Kw all by itself] at the same time as the water heater [2.2Kw] and lights, fridge, computer etc and the power does not fail unless you also plug in the kettle [2Kw] by mistake at the same time! [;-)]

Sue

Angela

If you look at you main power switch you will see a small round window (1/4inch diameter approx)) that shows a number. If you are in fact on 12kw then this number is 60. It might be worth checking this as I suppose that it's possible that the supply hasn't been set to match what EDF are charging for.

[quote user="Alane"]Has he perhaps put both appliances on the same 16A circuit? This would prevent you from using both at once.[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts, and AFAIK, it goes against French wiring regs. I'm pretty sure that my books say that each appliance like washer, dishwasher etc MUST have it's own dedicated socket, wiring  and mcb.

My new box is designed with just that in mind

Alcazar

Loiseau / Angela,

Just in case you are going to ask how to check ( sorry if its 'teaching grandma to suck eggs !!!).

If using washer + dishwasher trips the 16A mcb, leaving the rest of the house OK then they are both wired to the same circuit - which is wrong. If however the main incoming supply trips taking the whole house off then its (probably) a low set main supply.

Regards

Thanks so much for all this input - though I fear I seem to have hijacked this thread rather.  I certainly will check in that little window to see what it says.

I am not in France at present, but I know that each of the two appliances has its own specially chunky socket (a bit like 13amp ones in the UK) beneath the sink.  i.e. they are not plugged into the same one.

The installation was completely done from scratch in a brand-new house, by our local electrician so no reason for any add-ons later. 

I have electric wall heaters (convector-type) in all rooms as well as electric water heating, and am very careful not to run all these at once when I am starting up the heating on arrival on a cold day as I know that will trip it, too. I get a neighbour to put the water heater on a day or two before I get there, and then I switch the wall-heaters on progressively as the house warms up.

Once everything is up to temperature, I can run what I want - EXCEPT the washing machine/dishwasher combo.

Angela

EDIT
PS  Steve, the whole house supply trips so it must be the second scenario.  Would I just ask the electrcian to set it differently, or is it a job for the EDF?

Angela,

Its not the individual wall sockets that are being referred to, its the feed to those sockets which may be common, ie from the same 16A circuit breaker in the distribution box ( tableau d'electricite).

Regards

Have just seen your edit, sounds like a job for EDF