Ferrari and Porsche confiscated

[quote user="Jon D"][quote user="Alcazar"]

Parity? I think not, Priorities? NOT A CHANCE!  Revenue, Yep, bring it on!

Alcazar

[/quote]

This, surely,  is absolute rot? If the exercise were simply about revenue then why bother dedeucting points until a point is reached were the licence is suspended? It would be far more sensible to allow persistent speeders to stay on the road, thereby providing a consistant revenue stream (not a bad wheeze - it paid the wages of several thousand Eastern European police officers for some years after the end of the Cold War). The more one were prepared to pay, the more one could "drive as conditions & ability dictate." Maybe discounts could be offered for advance payment or direct debit...

[/quote]

Sigh, (rolls eyes), So how long do you reckon folk get banned for under the totting up procedure? Forever?

Alcazar

[quote user="Alcazar"]

Sigh, (rolls eyes), So how long do you reckon folk get banned for under the totting up procedure? Forever?

Alcazar

[/quote]

Even if it is only a couple of years it is still a dent in the revenue

stream, and no way to run a business. Plus, being banned might actually

encourage some people to stop speeding once they've got their licence

back. No, my approach is better. If the intent is just to make money,

that is.

Actually, I've no idea how long people get banned for. Does anyone ever

get banned forever? Perhaps that might provide some deterent to

persistant offenders on the basis that since they are clearly too

stupid to avoid getting themselves caught, they are too stupid to be

left in charge of an automobile.

[quote user="Jon D"][quote user="Alcazar"]

Alcazar

[/quote]

Even if it is only a couple of years it is still a dent in the revenue stream, and no way to run a business. Plus, being banned might actually encourage some people to stop speeding once they've got their licence back. No, my approach is better. If the intent is just to make money, that is.

Actually, I've no idea how long people get banned for. Does anyone ever get banned forever? Perhaps that might provide some deterent to persistant offenders on the basis that since they are clearly too stupid to avoid getting themselves caught, they are too stupid to be left in charge of an automobile.
[/quote]

I think those who are the worst offenders don't actually get banned. Some time ago my boss got done for for doing 160 m.p.h on a two lane 60 limit road. He got fined but of course "his car was essential for his work" so no ban. Its only those of us who might make an occasional mistake who aren't "high flier" business/sales people who get banned as well as fined.

When in the UK I got burgled a couple of times and both times the police commented (in a dis-hearted tone) that even if they caught the person, all that would happen is that he would get told not to do it again. What I find frustrating (as I think others have already commented on) is that the police is a "limited resource" - yet they spend their time doing people for speeding when maybe they should catch a few drug dealers, rapists, bank robbers, etc. When resources are limited you have to prioritise and balance. Concentrating on "easy targets" might make the prosecution rates look good and might help people meet targets but there are some nasty criminals out there who really need to be caught and dealt with (and I'm not talking about the person doing 35 in a 30 limit because they are late to collect the kids from school).

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"] 

What I find frustrating

(as I think others have already commented on) is that the police is a

"limited resource" - yet they spend their time doing people for

speeding when maybe they should catch a few drug dealers, rapists, bank

robbers, etc. When resources are limited you have to prioritise and

balance. Concentrating on "easy targets" might make the prosecution

rates look good and might help people meet targets but there are some

nasty criminals out there who really need to be caught and dealt with

(and I'm not talking about the person doing 35 in a 30 limit because

they are late to collect the kids from school).

Ian

[/quote]

Not an unreasonable point - but what proportion of the polices'

recource is actually spent on traffic control? I'm sure someone will

know, but I'd be surprised if the personnel and expenditure involved

were more than 5% of the total, particularly with the degree of

automation (ie cameras) now in place.

[quote user="Jon D"] ... particularly with the degree of automation (ie cameras) now in place.
[/quote]

Before somebody is prosecuted/fined from the traditional speed cameras (the ones with the painted comb on the road) a human must check the two photos to verify that the radar reading matches the time/distance from the two photos. The authorities have recently "come a bit of a cropper" as it has emerged that they have been skipping this. It emerged when some people were convinced they had not been speeding when they were fined and defended their case. It then emerged that they really had not been speeding and the radar inaccuracies had put them over. Thus the investigation showed that the time/distance measurement from the two photos proved they had not been breaking the speed limit, and it then emerged that the authorities had been skipping this verification stage that is mandatory under law. Thus there are now hundred and thousands of drivers who have been fines, given points, etc. who were not speeding yet who "just paid-up". So much for justice.

Ian

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Roads are for getting from one place to another, safely. 

Racetracks are for driving fast cars.

[/quote]

Exactly my friend.  And between me and you, you have driven me around Brands Hatch on many of an occasion.  (As well as around the bend)

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Roads are for getting from one place to another, safely. 

Racetracks are for driving fast cars.

[/quote]

Nope.

Roads are for lorries, to move the goods that we all crave.

Racetracks are for motorbikes (as is the IOM).

That leaves no room for cars, so scrap 'em all, I say.

Tosser!!!!

The point is more money is spent on catching people who have assets i.e.for crimes like speeding ( which makes the police money) then for other petty crimes. It seems to have money makes you a target and a criminals in the goverments eyes. If goverments spent the money it cost to set up traffic cams, etc ( now recouped meny times) nf pedo's and rapists, maybe the world would be a safer place for kids. BUT WHERE IS THE PROFIT IN THAT.