Every Frenchmans dream?

Logan

Surely the point of the (rather poorly written - I must write a letter to the editor) article was that SW7 is the only place to live. Won't it get a bit crowded if we all move there? Or perhaps I misunderstood.

Given the amount of rain falling at the moment and the grim September

forecast for Europe in general I think I might prefer somewhere higher

above sea level than South Ken.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

But Jon, just read what he says (what on Earth are we all doing here?)...   [:-))]

It was drizzling. “I always tell my French

friends that the weather is better in London,” he said. “You never get

a completely grey day, like you do here. There’s always a ray of

sunshine.”

[/quote]

I do seem to remember more than the odd "completely grey day" during

my eight years tenure in the city of Dick Whittington, smog and Jack

the Ripper. But I lived nowhere quite so upmarket as SW7. Perhaps they

can afford a more clement climate there?

I've always liked London, although would probably struggle to be able to afford anything within reasonable commuting distance let alone London itself. I question the value of comparing a capital city to an entire other country though: it would be rather like comparing the relative merits of Hyde Park and the Lake District.

The old saying "The grass is always greener....." comes to mind![;-)]

I was born and brought up in West London and can also vouch for many very completely grey days - but I have to say that I think London is a more exciting and beautiful city than Paris, it is just that when you live there you forget to look up at the architecture, admire the views down the Thames, appreciate the lovely parks etc., etc.because you are usually so busy 'earning a crust' and battling the rush hour. I moved away from London when I was in my early 20's and didn't live there again until a couple of years ago when I was there working for 2 years while my husband stayed over here. It was then that I really appreciated what a magnificant city it is.

However, I'm a country girl at heart so came home with no regrets[:D]

I used to live in SW 7 in the sixties. It was hip even then. I was young. I moved to France in the seventies and now back in 2006. Funny how the circle turns and turns. I love both so moving betwix le deux seems best.

In one place you become a little too 'native.' Better a broader canvas on which to draw. It also keeps the taxman guessing!  

For a couple of years, when I was in my early twenties, I lived at Princes Gate-Exhibition Road-South Kensington.  It was certainly the poshest address I have ever had in my life.  Quite where in the posh league Mayenne figures I haven't a clue, but I have lived in some far worse places than here.