Unfortunate experience with french insurers!

My partner and I have this week have found to our cost that we do not have the correct cover for the house contents insurance.

We have an antique walnut glass topped dining table and unfortunately the glass has been broken.  (A light fell on it).  We found an artisan who was able to repair the table and we were duly supplied with an estimate of €900 ttc. [:'(]

When I approached the insurance office about how to make a claim for this, I found that the insurance does not cover accidental damage, so therefore it was a case of sorry but you do not have cover. [:(]

Now, whilst I remember being clearly told what insurance we had for the contents i.e. water damage, theft, vandalism, etc, it didn't occur to me to check we were covered for accidental damage.  I suppose I just assumed it was as I believe that with english house insurance it is standard, or at the very least you are asked if you would like this type of cover.

For some of  you reading this sorry little tale, you are probably thinking 'serves you right for not checking' (perhaps rightly so), but I can only hope for a few others it may prompt you to check your own policies and make adjustments where necessary!

Lou.

When we first got insurance cover I asked about accidental damage cover and was laughed out of the office. Tried a few others and was told no, so gave up and have never had that cover. It seems the French philosophy ( not mine)  is be more blooming careful!

I suppose it helps keep everyone's premiums down - yours is obviously a valid claim but for every honest claim I wouldn't like to hazard a guess how many are dubious.

Be interested to know if any one has got it and what difference it makes to the premiums.

If you did manage to get "accidental damage" you would almost certainly be paying much higher premiums and them you would still have to try to get the money out of the insurance company (which can be quite a challenge). They would still be finding 101 excuses why, despite having xxx, the conditions of the accident were yyy and thus you are no longer covered.

I think many regard insurance in France as more of a tax than something that actually "pays-out".

Ian

When we arranged our house/content insurance it was explained to me that 'accidental' damage did not exist as such, as an incident was always the fault of someone or something ie gales, theft etc. Also the person who caused the damage or loss was liable and could be held responsible ie charged/sued etc. If, whilst tiling,  you drop a tile in the bath and crack the bath - tough; if the tiler does the same - charge him for the cost of the repair or a new bath.

Sue

[quote user="Diva Star"]

When we first got insurance cover I asked about accidental damage cover and was laughed out of the office. Tried a few others and was told no, so gave up and have never had that cover. It seems the French philosophy ( not mine)  is be more blooming careful!

I suppose it helps keep everyone's premiums down - yours is obviously a valid claim but for every honest claim I wouldn't like to hazard a guess how many are dubious.

Be interested to know if any one has got it and what difference it makes to the premiums.

[/quote]

After this weeks experience, we have been offered Accidental cover at an extra cost of €100.  The agent then suggested we add this to the policy and then claim, but then realised that he would probably remember me and would know I was claiming fraudulently! [8-)]

Lou.

In my long experience French assurance is not worth the candle. They never pay out without a costly fight/argument/investigation/teeth sucking. Take out just the legal minimum ie: fire for a house and third party for a car. Then anything else take the risk yourself. Its cheaper!

I am with Groupama, fortunatly I have not had to put the house ins to the test, but I did have a car vandalised a couple of years ago and expected my premiums to hit the roof on the next renewal, nothing of the sort, my car was repaired and paid for, I seem to remember I was about 70 euros out of pocket, as the vandals had slashed 3 tyres and when the garage replaced them they insisted that the fourth was also replaced as we were near control technic time(and they do like even wear on tyres!) and my premium just went with the inflation rates.