Tesco in England

David

What is happening here - are we turning French? We now have Creme Fraiche, Green Pepper Corns and decent Black Olives! All to be found in Tesco. So, no longer do I have to bring the freezer box home with the Creme Fraiche and combined with the absence of the Corns and Olives in the car means more VWS (valuable wine space). The Pepper Corns are even cheaper than in France! Hope this is useful as I know that many budding chefs are searching for these in GB.

I always found that Sainsbury's and sometimes Waitrose were one step of the game when it came to sourcing hard to find ingredients. Indeed creme fraiche has been available at Sainsburys for a few years now...perhaps it's because a famous Norwich supporter writes for their magazine?

We seem to get a pretty comprehensive range of French products at out local Waitrose too. Though the inconsiderate wotsits spread them throughout the store, rather than grouping them together like the French supermarkets do with the English goods.

Even the wine run may run down a bit. Apart from the very cheapest plonk, you can often find decent French wines in the British supermarkets on special offer at very little more than you would pay in France. The gap is definitely closing.

The last time I was in Waitrose they were selling "real" french bread made with " real" french flour - including the usual additives of gluten etc. I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to buy it, as it dries out so quickly, but no accounting for taste. Pat.

[quote user="Spongebob"][quote user="SaligoBay"]

[quote user="Patf"] as it dries out so quickly, [/quote]

Just like real French ones, then!  [:)]

[/quote]

But SURELY better than the additive stuffed "keeps fresh for a week" loaves we get here?

Spongebob

[/quote]

But you waste less!   Leave half a baguette out overnight and it's a job for Chris and his chainsaw.  

[quote user="SaligoBay"][quote user="Spongebob"][quote user="SaligoBay"]

[/quote]

But SURELY better than the additive stuffed "keeps fresh for a week" loaves we get here?

Spongebob

[/quote]

But you waste less!   Leave half a baguette out overnight and it's a job for Chris and his chainsaw.  

[/quote]

Ah........but upend one in it's supermarket plastic cover, and place it hung up in the bread bag, and it can last three days!

AND I'd still rather eat a chainsaw carved one than week-old additive-stuffed bread.

Spongebob

[quote user="Spongebob"][quote user="SaligoBay"][quote user="Spongebob"][quote user="SaligoBay"]

[/quote]

Spongebob

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah........but upend one in it's supermarket plastic cover, and place it hung up in the bread bag, and it can last three days!

AND I'd still rather eat a chainsaw carved one than week-old additive-stuffed bread.

Spongebob

[/quote]

Bet you wouldn't!  [:D]

I don't know!

What are you like SB?  You know that you are supposed to lavishly butter the offending baguette the next morning and dunk it in your bol de càfe.

I have seen a ham sandwich being dunked but only briefly as I closed my eyes.  Put me right off my breakfast.  I nearly spat my muscadet out.

One of the advantages of being dyslexic is thar sometimes one reads things wrong and the seem more interesting that when read correctly. ("Pope stars in drugs scandel" is better than the mundane "Pop stars in drugs scandel").

When I saw this thread "Tresco in England" I thought what is she doing there that merits a thread all of her own? Now supermarkers can be jolly interesting but not the same as chronicling the adventures of the blue bunny person back in England. 

There used to be SO many things that we used to lug back with us. I even remember the days when Petit Filous were a a rare and strange phenomenon. Now the only thing I can think of that I simply can't find here in the UK is pots of Bordeau Chesnel rillettes - preferably the type that's 'only' 20% fat (less lardy and more moist, mmmm)! On the other hand, perhaps it's for the best that it's a special treat.

[quote user="Renaud"]

When I saw this thread "Tresco in England" I thought what is she doing there that merits a thread all of her own? Now supermarkers can be jolly interesting but not the same as chronicling the adventures of the blue bunny person back in England. [/quote]

I read it like that too Renaud! Thought she had managed to get to a puter. Ah well, she'll be back soon![:D]

Brit supermarkets are great for foreign foods, can't understand why some people get funny when fellow expats want to buy tastes of home over here.[8-)] No matter what they are.

[quote user="Alexis"]

Mais non!  Tripes don't 'go' with muscadet.

[/quote]

Mais si!  Ils sont les partenaires parfaits!

Ingredients
1 kg de tripes de bœuf blanchies

1 pied de veau

1 grosse carotte émincée

1 gros oignon piqué de deux clous de girofle

1 bouquet garni

200 gr d'échalotes hachées

6 gousses d'ail hachées

1 bouteille de Muscadet

50 cl de bouillon de bœuf

sel & poivre

100 gr de farine (pâte)

Directions
Prenez un terrine de 26/28 cm environ, déposez-y carotte - oignon - échalotes - ail - pied de veau et le bouquet garni.

Mettez ensuite les tripes découpées en petits carrés de 3 à 4 cm de côté, en salant et poivrant au fur et à mesure.

Mouillez avec le Muscadet.

Ajoutez 50 cl de bouillon de bœuf.

Délayer la farine avec de l'eau de façon à former une pâte pour fermez la terrine hermétiquement.

Mettez à cuire au four à feu doux ( 130° - thermostat 4,5 ) pendant 12 heures.

Servir avec des pommes de terre cuites à l'eau, et un bon verre de Muscadet.

Abject apologies.  I asked the Man Who Knows and he said muscadet.

As you can imagine, tripes have never passed my lips but as a small child it was a different story.  Chitterlings too.

Strangely enough, we bought some tripes de Caen for the MWK yesterday and I will be having the pleasure of cooking them tomorrow.

I would rather starve....