Dress codes

Meg

Just reading the previous topic about etiquette reminded me of something.

Today we drove passed a church with a funeral which had just finished. Odd thing was the only folks wearing black/ formal-wear were the undertakers. I saw the 'old boys' in their jeans and flat caps etc and the whole group spilling out of the church looked like they were in regular 'going to town' clothes. nothing formal at all, clothes wise.

Is this usual for a funeral? Are there other dress code issues i have been previously unaware of??!!

Louise

Apart from those who live in Paris and other large cities, nobody seems to dress up for anything, they were saying on breakfast television this morning most countries have very expensive clothes or Tat, but in the U.K. you can get stylish clothes in the mid price range,and I think that is very true of France.

Phew, thankfully  i haven't been to any formal do over here, could have been embarrassing! Bit of a shame though, it's nice occasionally to put some glad rags on.

So do they never dress up then??

I can't get my head round this one??!

Louise

We went to the funeral of one of the village "venerables" on a hot day in July. The small, rural church was packed to overflowing but no one dressed up though most of the older women were in sober dresses rather than their customary pinnies or tabards. [:)] Some of the men were in their bright and breezy best, short-sleeved summer shirts. No ties. It was rather cheerful really and lovely to see the coffin carried down the aisle by friends of the deceased who were also in bright casual. It matters more to be there rather than what you wear.

When my other half and I set out for a village funeral I felt seriously under dressed. He had a suit and I had nothing remotely formal. In the event he was the only person in a packed church wearing a suit and I was much more like everyone else.

The original question asked about a military dinner though, and I would imagine that in an organisation where rank matters so much, it would be more formal, but this is only a guess.

Hoddy

Now you see I don't care about being dressed correctly.

If  I go to a wedding here and I feel like wearing a hat then I will.  I've been to funerals here and I do wear black - so what? 

We are not French, why on earth should we try to resemble them?  They know we're Brits anyway and however long you live here they will never think any differently.  Dressing differently isn't going to offend them.  Just be yourself.

I've (sadly) been to several funerals in our small community.

One thing that is interesting, only the 'believers' go into the church,

the rest 'non believers?' wait outside for the churchy bit to be over,

the follow the cortege with the rest to the cimtere.

Nice that there's room for a bit of honesty :)

David

[quote user="Tresco"]

I've only been to one funeral here - OH has been to 2 - and it was the same at both. I'll definitely dress down a bit next time. OH had warned me but I just didn't listen, and felt very out of place.

[/quote]

Trez, what did you wear then.  Please tell me it wasnt that yellow Vivian Westwood number.[+o(]