Brits Abroad

Agree, extremely interesting.

The figures for France are more or less what I had always understood to be the case.  However, I have read some ridiculous articles putting the number of Brits in France as high as 1/2 million and always wondered how these writers did their research and where these Brits were hiding.   I think writers on this issue often confuse figures for Brits with homes in France with those of permanent residents, hence inflating the figures.

However, I thought the figures in Spain were around 600,000 so I was way out there...

Thanks for the link RH. The next time, the French get too paranoid about Brits taking over their country,  I suppose we can always show them this.

You're no doubt right.

I think they should update the number of French in Britain though because the 2001 figures have no bearing on the realites of 2006. The huge influx of French into the UK occurred after 2001 due to the onset of the French employment woes.

I suppose it's easier for them to check the Brits living permanantly abroad as IR must be a great source of info.

Don't you think that people often move over to France aged around 50 (early retirement), and then move back to Britain at 65+ when decrepitude/death of a spouse/need to be near aged parents or young grandchildren kicks in ?

I am not surprised about the 25-44 age group being so strong, in fact. Just reading the posts on the forum for the last year or two, I have thought that age group seems to be on the increase.

Angela

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="helene"]i was surprised by the 25-44 age group - apart from the Alps where are this age group? i am late 20's and in France and only ever seem to meet pensioners living fulltime in france! if you are under 40 - where do you live? h x[/quote]

I agree with you Helene.  I don't think there are many British under 35's resident full-time in France.

Re under 40s, apart from Paris, PERHAPS there is a small concentration on the Cote D'Azure around Nice/Cannes/Antibes. I mention this specifically because of  Sophia Antipolis where many expats work. However, they may not be full-time residents but here on contracts.

It is indeed very difficult to emigrate to the USA for a Brit. However, if you buy a business in the USA it is relatively easy to obtain a business investor non emigrant visa that enables you to move to the USA to manage your business and permits your spouse to work freely.

For example, a lot of Brits are buying businesses in Florida such as pool cleaning companies, restaurants and launderettes and as long as they employ two Americans you can live there. The problem is that you can only remain in the USA for as long as you own and run your business, as if it closes or you sell it you have to leave the country.

Also a significant number of Brits get transferred by their employers to work in their firms American offices. Again the visa issued only allows you to stay in the USA whilst working for the employer that brought you over.

By comparison Australia, Canada and New Zealand have recently relaxed their immigration controls and are actively encouraging Brits under 45 to emigrate there. Something to do about concerns as to their falling birth rates and aging populations.

If you are over 45 like me most countries don't want you, as they perceive your best working and breeding days are behind you and you are more likely to become a liability of the State such as through an increasing need for health care!!