We are in France so we must speak French...why?

Wendy

[quote user="Miki"]Betty,

Is it Rommel ?  or 
Beckanbaur ? or Fridge ? Mmmm.............surely not....Fräulein Bouilloire ?

[/quote]

A distant uncle on the distaff side of the family was the inventor of the Schickelgruber patent raclette. I believe he was the first to coin the phrase "Vorsprung durch technik" whilst picking molten cheese from his handlebar moustache.

Mind you, should I choose to marry again, Betty Rommel has a lovely ring to it, don't you think?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Bugbear"]

How, exactly, does any of the above actually justify your original quote...................?

[/quote]

Quite simply, it explains the historic intolerance of the British by the French,

I must say, my usage of the word "hate" and reference to the war in the original post was rather tongue in cheek, and I wasnt trying to suggest some kind of consuming hatred...

[quote] Mind you, should I choose to marry again, Betty Rommel has a lovely ring to it, don't you think? [/quote]

I think it is a vunderful name and hope one day you will meet a Herr Rommel and fall 'ed over zer 'eels wiv 'im. [:)]

[quote user="Patf"]Here's another reason for trying to speak french as much as possible - a Canadian researcher found that french/english bilingual people had  a later onset of altzheimers disease than those only speaking one language. There was a difference of 4-5 years ie 75/6 as against 71/2 .She concludes that the mental exercise of making the effort to translate, understand etc keeps the brain ticking over with consequent improvement in memory and mental agility. Pat.
[/quote]

Well, I don't know what I'm doing half the time.  But maybe it would be worse if I didn't speak French !

I must say that at my age if I suddenly went to live in Germany without speaking a word of the language, I would probably be pleased to find a dentist speaking English or French.   [:P]

[quote user="Blitzen"]Well, it seems to me this is the delight of this kind of forum.  This kind of open ended question gives a wide range of scope, and I would rather define some of the 'petty bickering' as 'good-natured banter'.  [:D]

[/quote]

Ok. Point taken. Good natured banter it is then [:)] [:D] [8-)] [;-)]

WEN SAYS :

" I have lived in several countries around the world but it is only in France that I have encountered the attitude of  'our language or nothing' ... it is racist and it is ignorant. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So you came here to say I'm a racist and ignorant ???

GO BACK HOME, Wen !!!!!

I DO NOT HAVE to speak your language, just because you decided to come here !!!

Do you speak chinese, Wen ???? You don't ????

Chinese is the first spoken language in the world , and I'm quite sure nobody in LONDON's streets is able to help a chinese guy to find his way !!!!

You take things for granted, but when people go abroad, nothing is granted !!!

French people are ignorants because they don't speak your language ?

But .... you are also ignorant and racist if you don't speak french !!!

If you consider that the world should be GB, but in bigger, you will be disappointed everyday ....

DOMY:

A french guy who makes effort to learn foreign language, for his pleasure, and not because you order him !!!

[quote user="DOMY"]wen says :

I have lived in several countries around the world but it is only in France that I have encountered the attitude of  'our language or nothing' ...it is racist and it is ignorant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So you came here to say I'm a racist ???

GO BACK HOME, Wen !!!!!

[/quote]

I get your point Domy but that phrase of Go Back Home will never do your case any good. That shows the dark side of any discussion about views in France. It is all too common, to see that the minute some people criticise anything to do with France or the French, that phrase is inevitable to come from the luvvies who see no wrong with the country.  You, I know, will naturally understand much of France (of course !) so you too will know just what Wen was talking about, what she did do though, was put it across badly......I think you would admit to knowing there is much wrong with France (is there really another recession on the way, some economists here think so !) and whoever we are, or where we were born, if we are living in another country, one is surely entitled to a view without being told to go home.

[quote user="DOMY"] I DO NOT HAVE to speak your language, just because you decided to come here !!!

Do you speak chinese, Wen ???? You don't ????

Chinese is the first spoken language in the world , and I'm quite sure nobody in LONDON's streets is able to help a chinese guy to find his way !!!![/quote]

Domy if a Chinese guy goes along to Gerrard street, he will have little or no problem on that score [:)][;-)]

So was Go Home... touché

But look again, she states it all from her own personal view point. We cannot argue that it has not happened to her as she says, well we can but then we must call her a liar. No, she starts by saying we should talk French but says she and her husband have had problems with some French. To deny that never would happen would be wrong. I have also witnessed it in England from another side.I have witnessed it here, I have known one or two Bretons simply dismiss someone because they were from Paris and I have found that Parisiens in general to be alright, especially the young.(OK not all !)

Discrimination and racism happen here, to deny that would be wrong. We may not agree with it but to put ones head up ones jacksy (that is maybe a new one for you Domy but I think you know that phrase) and say it is not here, would be miles off target. Ignorant people range from Australia  to The Yemen, good people funnily enough range from exactly the same places [:)]

We are entering our 5th year here in France and although my French language has improved I do not think I will ever become fluent. I am being helped by by a young French boy of 11, he always trys to get me to pronounce words correctly but I just cannot get my tongue round some of the rolling R's (no comment) he is learning English and is quite happy to correct MY English for me, South London is not taught in the schools here it seems...! dunno why. Yesterday I went with a French friend to help move wood on another friend's farm, before starting work we sat in a nice warm kitchen and tried out his home brew from rasin marc through the prune to the pomme, they spoke very quickly and I knew they were speaking about politics only because I caught 'sarkozy' in amongst the chat. I do wish that one day I would understand more so that I could join in and although I do make the effort my lack of English is probably what lets me down because when I get onto grammar then I just would not understand some of it in English so have NO chance with French. I think that what I ma trying to say is that if you try and then get it wrong you have to just keep on trying. Even reading this I can see that it is wrong but i don't know why it's wrong...oh, I found my cat keys by the way.....they were in the ignition...al night!

best regards

Dago[:D]

[quote user="Blitzen"][Some of the best conversations I've had, have been where I speak 'my french, and the person I'm speaking to speaks 'their English'!![:D]
[/quote]

I suppose it depends how well you want to know people!

If neither of you are communicating naturally, neither of you are being yourselves.   So who are you being, and who is they being?

[quote user="DOMY"]WEN SAYS : " I have lived in several countries around the world but it is only in France that I have encountered the attitude of  'our language or nothing' ... it is racist and it is ignorant. " -------------------------------------------------------------------- So you came here to say I'm a racist and ignorant ??? GO BACK HOME, Wen !!!!! I DO NOT HAVE to speak your language, just because you decided to come here !!! Do you speak chinese, Wen ???? You don't ???? Chinese is the first spoken language in the world , and I'm quite sure nobody in LONDON's streets is able to help a chinese guy to find his way !!!! You take things for granted, but when people go abroad, nothing is granted !!! French people are ignorants because they don't speak your language ? But .... you are also ignorant and racist if you don't speak french !!! If you consider that the world should be GB, but in bigger, you will be disappointed everyday .... DOMY: A french guy who makes effort to learn foreign language, for his pleasure, and not because you order him !!![/quote]

I really don't blame Domy for writing this.  Its very interesting to read and learn how a Frenchman feels with lots of Brits decending on their country.

Domy do you live in France?

Our French neighbours speak very good English, but when we get together they insist we speak French.  They tell me its good practice for me and I tend to agree.  Though if I'm really struggling they will of course help me out in English.

Perhaps the folk who feel this way towards the French and their language, should go back to where they can speak fluently, especially if its making their lives so difficult.  Would you expect to move to Mongolia and be able to converse there?  Would you not have to learn the language spoken there to try and fit in.  I think many people take it for granted, especially in France that a French person will be able to speak English.  Many can but choose not to, many can and do, its just luck of the draw. I am pleasantly surprised at how generally good a French persons English is.  I'm also surprised at how well most of my kids friends speak English, it would seem the schools give a lot of time to this subject and its a shame Britain has got its head up its jacksy (Mikis phrase) and taught more languages from an earlier age.  I always try and speak French and if the other person speaks English, well that is a bonus, I just don't expect it.

If your background experience before coming to France was living in the UK wen, I could well understand your point.  In our local hospital you are lucky to find leaflets in English - however, there are millions of the things in urdu, hindi, bengali, punjabi - in fact our hospital has dedicated staff available to translate into urdu...

So maybe its a cultural thing - or French being behind the UK again??

Kathie

[quote user="Dotty "]

Many can but choose not to,[/quote]

Why would anyone do that?   Is that not just rude, from anyone anywhere?   I'm quite sure it would be regarded as very arrogant if an English person did it!  

[quote user="Dotty "] many can and do, its just luck of the draw. I am pleasantly surprised at how generally good a French persons English is.  I'm also surprised at how well most of my kids friends speak English, it would seem the schools give a lot of time to this subject [/quote]

The learning of English is driven by the fact that the English-speaking culture is, at the moment, the dominant one, the one that yoofs aspire to.   English is where music and films and books and TV programs (and McDonalds!) come from.  

The view I hear most often here, from French people, is that the French are really, really bad at foreign languages.   They regard the Dutch and Germans at being masters in foreign languages. 

I think that if you want British children to learn more languages you either have to lengthen their school day to fit the extra lessons in, or you ditch the things that make school interesting, like cooking and woodwork, none of which happen in French schools, or at least not round here.

Can't have it all, eh?  [;-)]

Perhaps a French person is rude for not speaking English when they can, but I think moving to another country and not even trying to speak the language is far worse.

I dissagree with your point about English speaking culture.  I think we are on the brink of change with regards to the way English is looked upon but other countries and cultures.  We only have to look at the way other countries are experiencing massive growth and wealth.  The likes of China and India are soon, in my humble opinion, to become the leaders in terms of greatness.  Britain is strugglingto hold on to its greatness as it once had and was a country many nations aspired to.

I don't think there is a problem with kids learning woodwork or cooking, though my daughter spent a whole term learning how to make pizza in year 7.  Hardly cooking.  I think generally UK kids should be more aware of their own geography as well as the rest of the world.  I listened to a R2 programme recently, whereby a large percentage of UK kids, aged 12/13, I forget the exact details, but they couldn't even point out on a map of the Bristish isles where they lived. 

At least they can make a nice toast rack or pizza though.

I'm not saying that French people are masters at all languages.  Yes the Dutch and Germans are miles ahead of the French, but we are not talking about them.

[quote user="Dotty "]

Perhaps a French person is rude for not speaking English when they can, but I think moving to another country and not even trying to speak the language is far worse.

[/quote]

I think that misunderstandings can occur in regard to this in that sometimes a person who has a limited knowledge of another language (french or english) is reluctant to try the 'other' language for a simple fear of embarrassment.