IKEA in France. Easy to order from them?

Matelot

Hi there!

Can anyone give me some advice regarding some French plumbing and purchasing some plumbing fittings from Ikea, France.

I have just ordered a new kitchen from Ikea in the UK (Milton Keynes) to take to our house in France. My better half wanted a double bowl, ceramic ‘Belfast’ type sink (the DOMSJÖ range) with mixer tap.

When we put the order in, the assistant said that we would have to purchase the waste trap assembly (ATLANT) that normally matches the sink and the mixer tap (EDSVIK), from Ikea in France as the water pressure differs in France.

I have gone online and seen that the nearest Ikea to us in France is south west Paris. We are near Vendôme in Dept. 41 and this would involve a 200 mile round trip for two items! 

I am taking the flat packed kitchen and a load of furniture over to our house in early March. However, I am not fitting the kitchen until Easter, (with the help of a French plumber friend) so I could order from Ikea in France and have the trap and tap assembly delivered to his house. Would this be feasible? Has anyone ordered items from Ikea France from here in the UK? Is it straightforward to order from them?

In addition, would I have to use Ikea fittings with an Ikea sink?  Has anybody used French fittings from Bricomarché, Brico Depot, etc.

Also, how different is the water pressure in France? Why would our fittings not cope?

I would really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks in advance.

Matelot      

Don't know about the water pressure question.  Hot water pressure tends to be higher as it is the same as the mains pressure.  Waste fittings?  No pressure differences there!

Ikea France sell the sink in question: SINK so should have the necessary bits if you want to buy here.  However, delivery charges are ridiculous.  Your French plumber friend should be able to advise. 

We've just had the single version of the sink fitted and I think you'd be hard pushed to find the trap fittings at a non Ikea shop, as you've said you've just ordered your kitchen could you not pick up the trap and tap when you pick up the kitchen as its an item that they always should have instock, I had no joy trying to order things on French Ikea website from here in the UK, I tend to take the bits with me when I fly out as I always get lost going to Toulouse Ikea[8-)] and always end up fast heading for the Spanish border! Or I'll send up to 30kilo boxes using payperdrop on ebay (as recommed by someone on this forum and proved to be really successful.)

The only issue with << the DOMSJÖ range>> is that in contrast to other IKEA sinks which are in stainless steel you cannot fit a garbage disposal unit to them  as the hole is too small and the space between to top and bottom surfaces is too big.  

If anybody has a broyeur which will fit will pay serious money.. Otherwise French fitings from Leroy Merlin will work OK 

I keep hearing people saying Ikea are opening in Brest and Rennes. Can anyone enlighten me? Someone said they were opening in 2006 in Brest but nothing yet? I said I would wait to do my kitchen but am getting fed up now waiting.

We brought our Ikea sink and fittings, had a bit of trouble with the plastic fittings but we managed okay.  They do seem a little flimsy though compared to french fittings but I would bring some just in case you are stuck, they are included anyway aren't they?

Hot water pressure will almost certainly be higher since this is mains pressure in France and is usually only the header pressure from a water tank in the loft in the UK.  Cold water pressure - depends where you are in France and the UK, but generally this will also be higher in France - typically 4 bar as opposed to 2-3 bar in the UK.

The Brest and Rennes Ikea stores have been repeatedly delayed - original dates were set for 2006 but I think the latest date for Rennes is 2008.  Believe it when you see it.  Access problems or something of the sort. 

Have you looked at Lapeyre's kitchen range?  Solid carcasses, proper wooden doors, quality fittings etc.

[quote user="Cassis"]The Brest and Rennes Ikea stores have been repeatedly delayed - original dates were set for 2006 but I think the latest date for Rennes is 2008.  Believe it when you see it.  Access problems or something of the sort. 

Have you looked at Lapeyre's kitchen range?  Solid carcasses, proper wooden doors, quality fittings etc.
[/quote]

Yes, it is good quality but you always have to order everything and trail back for it.

Even a small blind I had to trail over an hour to find they had to order it.

Je suis en France!

Georgina

I want it now I want it now I want it now je suis Anglaise[:)]

[quote user="Georgina"][quote user="Cassis"]Have you looked at Lapeyre's kitchen range?  Solid carcasses, proper wooden doors, quality fittings etc.[/quote]

Yes, it is good quality but you always have to order everything and trail back for it. Even a small blind I had to trail over an hour to find they had to order it. Je suis en France! Georgina I want it now I want it now I want it now je suis Anglaise[:)][/quote]

I've only ever had one stock problem with Lapeyre and they're the first place I check for prices and offers. Over the last 4 years, I've bought a kitchen, wooden worktops, numerous double-glazed windows, shutters, dressing room interior... I must be lucky ! [:)]

• 2 weeks later...