French Visitors to England

If they're driving : Don't sit 10 cms from the car in front - you'll get brake tested eventually.  Indicate when leaving roundabouts.  Oh, and don't forget to sit in the middle lane all the time on motorways, regardless of what speed you're doing.[Www]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The children will go into hysterics at the sight of "Pet shop", "Pet food" etc signs. Wink [;-)]
Oh, and "Soft Verges" notices always crease up the French !
  Wink [;-)] Wink [;-)]

Is Pet (petard) short for bum? :-) and those soft virgins should be interesting.

Deby

Thanks Tourangelle,  I didnt know that and neither did my husband - his french is fluent!  Obviously we don't have those type of conversations :-) and our children left La France before they had time to 'refine' their language skills. 
Deby

[quote user="Deby"]

Thanks Tourangelle,  I didnt know that and neither did my husband - his french is fluent!  Obviously we don't have those type of conversations :-) and our children left La France before they had time to 'refine' their language skills. 

Deby

[/quote]

[:$] Neither of them is rude or childish and the first is just ... anatomical![:P]

Sorry, going off topic a little

Tourangelle

"Baguette"

please can you supply some extra meanings for this word,

AFAIK

bread stick, conductor's baton, poles

and I think a slang word for flies (of boys trousers variety) am I right?

Blanche Neige

always ready to learn more

Les baguettes are chopsticks, also, with Harry Potter about to come out, a baguette magique is a wand. Nothing else comes to mind right now. However, for flies on a pair of trousers, I think you mean la braguette, which isn't slang at all, it just means the fastening!

Tourangelle

Thanks.

I just did a search from Eng. to French and then found the word Braguette, just goes to show what a difference one letter can make!

I heard this word recently it was then followed by a rather witty (pos. slightly risky)[:$] comment and I got the impression that I was hearing a slang expression.

Thanks for your help