Taxe d'habitation

ctc

We own a maison secondaire in Deux Sevres.  We have just received our first bill for Taxe d'habitation.  On top of this tax, there is an amount of 116 Euros for 'redevance audiovisuelle' (votee par le Parlement et versee aux entreprises de l'audiovisuel public).  Can anyone explain what this charge is for and do we have to pay.  Thanks

Yes, we are in Deux Sevre and have received the same thing, As from 2005 the are invoicing everyone with the TV License when they send the taxe d'habitation. The only Problem is we don't have a TV. We know you can state this on the annual tax return but it is easier to pay the £80 and buy a TV. At least I'll be able to watch the rugby

ctc

the licence is for having receiving equipment (TV, digital/alalogue sat. receiver) - whether you use it or not and what you watch is up to you, but the tax is still payable.  Even a TV hooked up solely to a computer as a monitor should be taxed.

*(EDIT Andy you type faster than me),

You have to pay the French TV license if you have any TV equipment capable of receiving TV pictures in the house.

....even if it only for my poor sick grandchildren to watch their videos on or play video games" as one poster asked.  YES. 

PS  If you are watching only UK TV programmes, the satellite dish might be a bit of a giveway

We live in the Charente Maritime (17) and tax d'h arrived 10 days ago with the TV section included for the first time.  Back in March we were asked by the Hotel des Impots if we had a receiver - which we had just purchased.  Also understand that the place where you purchase a TV from in France is obliged to pass on your details to the local aithorities.

PeterCD 

We are just in the process of finishing renovations (La Creuse 23), and have also received our Taxe d'habitation with TV Liscense attached.

We do not have any, tv, video, monitor etc, but we included a TV point on our plans... (not sure whether it has been completely fitted yet!).

Does any body know whether this counts as having to pay the lisense?

Also, if it means we dont have to pay for lisense, can we just send a cheque for the Habitation amount(+letter stating we have no TV), or will this cause all sorts of administration problems!? 

Thanks in anticipation

maw

I had the same. My place is a total building site and has been for 3 years. I sent them a basic letter translated using Systrans and scanned a couple of photo's of the internal state of the house. I now do not pay the redevance. My friends who live locally are also looking at whether I should be paying the habitation tax anyway!!

On the subject, I have a caravan with satellite tv that will be parked at the rear....no one will see it, its not in the house, and its not permanent or fixed. So thats my tv sorted when I am over there!!

Cheers

Rob G

• 2 weeks later...

We, too, have just received our first taxe d'h on our maison secondaire in dept 50.  We do not have, and do not intend having,a TV or receiving equipment of any kind.  So, how do we go about not paying this tax?  Do we just send a cheque for the basic amount, together with a letter, or will we end up in all sorts of beaurocratic poo?  Has anyone else done this, and what were the consequences?

Thanks, in advance.

Lynda