I Can Help You Can Help Me

AnOther

I've started this thread from an idea I had whilst reading this topic http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1022403/ShowPost.aspx and it's basically for people who have skills, abilities, or perhaps resources, which they are willing use to help others. Not for no monetery gain, but in the spirit of plain old simple helpfullness and neighbourliness and maybe receive some help in return if or when needed. Initial queries could be raised in open forum then go to PM for specific's and actual contact. If it took off it might be possible to eventually create a database of who's put their hands up and for what and to match people up. 

I'll kick off as an example;

Things I might be able to help with: Computers, fixing electric, electronic and mechanical gadgets and "things" in general (one of my real specialities!), Car problems, Classic cars, fixing and restoring (Predominately MG but most British cars), general DIY inc. Electrics (although still coming to grips with the quirks and foibles of the French systems!). Installing and setting up Sky TV, Just being an extra pair of hands.

Resources I Have: An 8cu/m box trailer, a 200 sq/m secure barn for storage, (can get caravans and campers in it). Currently setting up a garage/workshop which will including an inspection pit, engine hoist, Oxy/Acetylene and MIG welding gear, air compressor and grit blasting cabinet. Cement mixer.

Hope you get the gist.

If you think the idea is pants and a waste of time feel free to say so and I'll shut up and go away...[:D]

This idea is pants and a waste of time...........................................[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Seriously, though, I think you'll just end up doing stuff for other people simply because they can't be bothered to do it themselves.

Advice, on it's own, is of course, different.

IMHO, of course.

You have not been charged for this mesage...............................[Www]

Two opposed views, not surprising I suppose...[:)]

I quite take your point BB and of course there is that danger, there will always be takers and users, but on the basis that there is no financial outlay or significant tangible loss to be made sometimes one has to give people the first chance. I think p**s takers would soon be tagged.

Free advice is €0.50 BTW...[Www]

Ernie - Eddie (husband) has similar skills to you. Except cars. He did a course with Sky just before we moved here and was a tv engineer. He has done work for several people here and we have been repaid by them doing work free for us. Usually. Lately he's been more reluctant to go up onto rooves though  - not so nimble as in the past. I think your plan is worth a try but more likely to work just by word of mouth in your area.

Hi

Been doing this for years, last one was a complete house strip for a 3 year old  conservatrie sliding doors etc (ideal for the back of our french house), although I am having to bring it to France.  I have always prefered this way of exchange, but when I posted a similar thing some years ago, decorating in exchange for another trade, there were replies that was not so clear, insurance for example. Me I would love to have someone help at my house in exchange for my skills.

Ernie

Have seen this in action back in the UK, seemed to be very succesful

LETS - Local Exchange Trading Systems or Schemes - are local community-based mutual aid networks in which people exchange all kinds of goods and services with one another, without the need for money LETS - Local Exchange Trading Systems or Schemes - are local community-based mutual aid networks in which people exchange all kinds of goods and services with one another, without the need for money.

LETS are revitalising communities throughout Britain. As grassroots initiatives they are open to everyone - people of all ages, skills and abilities; local clubs and associations; voluntary groups, charities, community initiatives; housing co-operatives, small businesses and local services - helping everyone to give and take, connect to new resources, and find a genuine community identity.

LETS offer equal opportunities to all - whether employed or unemployed, financially secure or on low income, black or white, able or disabled. LETS use a system of community credits, so that direct exchanges do not have to be made. People earn LETS credits by providing a service, and can then spend the credits on whatever is offered by others on the scheme: for example childcare, transport, food, home repairs or the hire of tools and equipment.

"Illegal" is probably far too strong a word, but I was under the impression (and until I can think of a better way to put it) that essentially LETS is (or are) "illegal" in France. I think they're know as Systemes d'Echange Locaux (SEL) and read on another forum some time ago that there have been instances of prosecutions being brought against groups trying to operate them.

Interesting site, wish I could read it better...[:$]

Loads fast enough for me though.

Very good point about "the time spent doing someone a favour has the same value, regardless of the nature of the task" a favour is a favour and is of the essence of the concept.