Adopting French ways.....

mint

Well, Frenchie, either the number of Brits in France is far higher than anyone thinks, or all the Brico Sheds must be selling all those showers to someone!

I fear that the typecast vision of the French most Brits enjoy is sheer xenophobia adopted from their parents, whose experience of France was as exchange students when they were 16 a few years after WW II!

Things have changed a little since those days!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Frenchie2"]

Now I wonder if I'm really French.. I feel strange suddenly   [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

[/quote]
I know what you mean... [blink]
[/quote]

Count me in too. Although, to be perfectly honest, I do change my clothes sometimes several times a day, as I go from one activity to another. I have never known any other French person do it though, and Mr. 5-E thinks it is typical of me as a person,  rather than an ethnic/national characteristic.[:P]

[quote user="Frenchie2"]I have adopted the washcloth instead of " gant de toilette"..  But flipping heck... a good fresh baguette with cheese , and a good glass of red wine.. wouldn' t change that for the world !! [:D][/quote]

Frenchie

Good that "flipping heck"; I think you are the first French person I have ever heard say that!

Gluestick said

"I fear that the typecast vision of the French most Brits enjoy is sheer xenophobia adopted from their parents, whose experience of France was as exchange students when they were 16 a few years after WW II!

Things have changed a little since those days!"

I fear many French people have similar views about the British, very much based on a single exchange visit with the school during their teenage years!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Frenchie2"]I have adopted the washcloth instead of " gant de toilette"..  But flipping heck... a good fresh baguette with cheese , and a good glass of red wine.. wouldn' t change that for the world !! [:D][/quote]

Frenchie

Good that "flipping heck"; I think you are the first French person I have ever heard say that!

[/quote]  I must be under influence !!  [;-)][:D]

[quote user="Nicos"]I will if you will!!!!![:-))]

No halloween horns allowed though!!! [/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]        When I think about it, I still feel sooooo ridiculous..

What surprises me in Liverpool is the number of occurences of the F words in sentences... yes, in F****** sentences !! [:D] 

Ok here is one not yet mentioned.

My kitchen cupboards now contain far more medications than food!

This is admittedly following several hospitalisations but I usually refuse 3/4 of what is on the ordonnance. As an example I had some laser retinal surgery yesterday, it was for some reason a lot more painfull than normal and the intern (being unusual in that he didnt enjoy seeing patients suffer) gave a local anaesthetic and proscribed me some painkillers to take when it wore off.

The prescrition was two to be taken (si douloureuse) maximum 3 times, the chemist came back to the counter weighed down by 10 boxes of 20 tablets each!

I refused all but one box but to reassure her of my Frenchness complained that it was a generic brand and not the one that I usually have[:)]