Proposed changes to shops in France

Clair

I liked the first contrasting paragraph!

Methinks most French people will be in favour of the new law. The rising cost of food is becoming a real problem and the competition between supermarket chains helps to keep prices in check. Try going to a supermarket that's the only one in town. I don't buy the argument that the character of France will change. They have been saying that for years to keep monopolies in place. A good business always adapts to a new situation to survive.

[quote user="Logan"]

I liked the first contrasting paragraph!

Methinks most French people will be in favour of the new law. The rising cost of food is becoming a real problem and the competition between supermarket chains helps to keep prices in check. Try going to a supermarket that's the only one in town. I don't buy the argument that the character of France will change. They have been saying that for years to keep monopolies in place. A good business always adapts to a new situation to survive.

[/quote]

I'm surprised Logan, is there a reason why France would not follow the UKs example and gradually lose its smaller shops, stores and artisan suppliers ?

Perhaps you support a cosy world of the nineteen thirties Russethouse? Today is a new world, not a brave one, just different. You may not like it but if you are in business you operate according to the market. Unless you prefer France as a giant theme park living from subsidy and state benevolence?

If a business is uneconomical it has two choices. Adapt and change, find a niche market or fold.  

[quote user="Logan"]

If a business is uneconomical it has two choices. Adapt and change, find a niche market or fold.  

[/quote]

Thats three isn't it.......................................[:)]

joking...................................

The article I quoted has some interesting facts in the context of the current changes:

"le territoire français est le plus maillé au monde en terme de mètres carrés de grandes surfaces par habitants

La France compte en effet un hypermarché pour 46 000 habitants

lorsqu'il y en a un pour 51 000 habitants en Allemagne et un pour 130

000 habitants en Italie !"

France has the largest  ratio of supermarket surface per inhabitant in the world.

There is a hypermarket per 46, 000 inhabitantsn whereas there is one for 56000 in Germany, and one for 130000 in Italy (my VERY free translation)

If this is right, there is something wrong with Sarkozy's argument.

[quote user="Logan"]

Perhaps you support a cosy world of the nineteen thirties Russethouse? Today is a new world, not a brave one, just different. You may not like it but if you are in business you operate according to the market. Unless you prefer France as a giant theme park living from subsidy and state benevolence?

[/quote]

It was an observation, not a platform, however the evidence of my own eyes suggests that town centres change due to the development of out of town hypermarkets etc, whether or not this is a desirable thing is another matter...

Fast becoming a part of our regular trips to our French home, is having our car well-loaded with the essential 'storable' basics purchased from UK supermarkets. Of course, we buy fruit, veg and meat when we are there, but most other things we bring with us because they are much cheaper in the UK. 

[quote user="Mel"]Fast becoming a part of our regular trips to our French home, is having our car well-loaded with the essential 'storable' basics purchased from UK supermarkets. Of course, we buy fruit, veg and meat when we are there, but most other things we bring with us because they are much cheaper in the UK. [/quote]

You are right, Mel.  When I'm back in the UK, I try to get all the children's clothes (I have 4 children), all their shoes, all their school stationery supplies - all these far, far cheaper in the UK than in France.

I don't understand why things are so much cheaper in the UK.  Do the French not import so many foreign-made goods?

The other thing is the lack of charity shops in France.  Where do their second hand clothes go - surely not all to Emmaus?

[quote user="Cathy"]

The other thing is the lack of charity shops in France.  Where do their second hand clothes go - surely not all to Emmaus? [/quote]

There are charity shops but they are usually not in the front line or High Street as in the UK; and second hand clothes are regularly sold in vide grenier. The first time I went to a vide grenier here I remember being astonished at the sheer number of racks of s/h clothes for sale.

Sue