Why do you love France?

For those of you who have made the permanent move, for those of us who have invested in property and long to make the move, and for those who just visit or dream about France, what is it we all love about the place?

In recent times it has taken a few knocks with the property market slowing down and allegedly, ex-pats returning to the UK in their droves (I don't actually believe that). And the health changes have left so many people still up-in-the-air with folk like cooperlola continuing to work on the subject with such magnificent spirit and, I believe, showing no signs of giving up.

So what is it that draws us to this wonderful country? Why, after travelling nowhere else in the world during the last five years, am I really looking forward to my next regular trip to France this coming Wednesday?

For my wife and I, it is everything about the place! We love the people, the culture, the food, the wine, the old streets (especially in Loches) and I cannot wait to be rooting about in LeClerc for our goodies! We love the language, the French air we breathe and we absolutey adore our French neighbours who we cannot wait to hug as soon as we arrive. And summer in France has a special bonus for me as the delightful noise from the Frogs and Crickets is one of the few sounds that can actually drown out my tinnitus!

I will try to sleep for a few hours on Tuesday evening, before setting out at about 1.00am Wednesday to drive to Newhaven for the early ferry. But I will fail, I will be too excited... 

What does la belle France do for you? 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sweetie - it's great isn't it...

We will be travelling in a hire van on this trip, bringing lots of nice stuff for our lovely French house, but I will still enjoy every inch of the journey and the regular stops for coffee and cakes...

Can't wait... So old, yet so excited! 

Someone has put their rose tinted specs on this morning!

You are right, visiting France is exciting. Very different situation for those who need to earn a living in France and like all love affairs the excitement does fade with familiarity, or irritation, like with the current blockading of some ports by the French fisherman!

Yes Sprogster, I guess have got rose tinted specs on this morning, but I honestly have always felt that way about France.

I confess I had forgotten about the French fishermen - have you heard if Dieppe is one of their targets?

[quote user="Mel"]

sweetie - it's great isn't it...

We will be travelling in a hire van on this trip, bringing lots of nice stuff for our lovely French house, but I will still enjoy every inch of the journey and the regular stops for coffee and cakes...

Can't wait... So old, yet so excited! 

[/quote]

And, Mel, I used to feel this ridiculous pride and oneupmanship when I looked at our Volvo filled to the gunwhales with household goodies and compared that unfavourably with "mere" holidaymakers whose cars were only filled with suitcases!

And, yes, it's wonderful stopping for coffee and for lunch.

And those first words of French that you get to speak when you embark sound to your own ears like the most delicious and profound thing you could utter!

Why ever not?  You keep those rose-coloured spectacles on all you want.  I guess some of us stay child-like all our lives.

Sometimes I wish I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up.

[quote user="Mel"]

Yes Sprogster, I guess have got rose tinted specs on this morning, but I honestly have always felt that way about France.

I confess I had forgotten about the French fishermen - have you heard if Dieppe is one of their targets?

[/quote]

Keep 'em on Mel!

Pay no heed to some of the moaners on this forum! [:P]

You must have weighed up the pros ands cons and made a decision based on  this.

Of course France isn't perfect, but for many of us, its imperfections are outweighed by its benefits.

Hope it all goes well.

And BTW; those fishermen may well create such a stink that not only le petit Nicolas, but the idiots in Brussels and Strasbourg are forced to listen: and EU governments will realise that their insane greed for taxes cannot exceed the ability of people to afford to pay them!

You can't rely on the pathetic British truck drivers protests: all they do is incovenience members of the public. Now, if they blockaded Godron in number ten, and prevented food and booze being delivered he might at last listen. However that's a fantasy and a vain hope, 'cos Governments Storm Troopers would break it up ASAP.

Viva la France !

The home of free public expression!

I tend to agree with sprogster that the excitement will fade with familiarity and irritation. Yes enjoy those things whilst you can but  once you can communicate in French that itself will lose its (dare I say ) je ne sais quoi. And it doesn't matter what coloured specs you wear you will soon get bored of rooting around leClerc.

Oh now I sound like one of Gluesticks "moaners" but of course it is a great country to live in - warts an' all. Some "dreams " just need an edge of reality, some specs need clear glass. 

Sweet 17 wrote :

"

And those first words of English that you get to speak when you embark sound to your own ears like the most delicious and profound thing you could utter!  "

I only have to change one word in my case , it does the same to me, but just the reverse.....!

Can't wait to go to the UK again in august , St Helens, Northern England.

Ok the roads are busier but I feel .. at home...

I guess this is somethign that can't be explained.

I was sure some people would say that, but I'm very happy in St Helens, honest to God !

Just a leap and we are in the lake district on the week end ; and  Liverpool is up the road.. Lots of things happening there, especially this year.

My son; now 14, also can't wait to go back ..

Must be running in the family.. [:D]

Nickel - I actually communicate in French quite well and, in my late 50's, I still enjoy rooting around Sainsbury's...

What I was trying to say is that even though I have been going back and forth to France for much of my life, with an increase in intensity since I bought my house five years ago, I still get just as excited as the first time.

But then, for me, the glass has always been half-full - even when surrounded by catastrophe. And I think I like these rose coloured specs - they suit me!

Mel , that is great for you and yes enjoy it all as you should - I was only echoing the thoughts that that sort of "buzz" will diminish  I am not saying that is a bad thing - but mundanity and familiarity will of necessity change one's perspective.

I just don't think one needs rose coloured specs to see clearly. 

[quote user="woolybanana brother"]so you speak Urdu then Frenchie?[/quote]

[blink]

English is enough for me, I sometimes struggle speaking with scousers  [:D], but they ve always been VERY welcoming and friendly and helpful to me .

Nickel - yes, I understand that - no problem.

Lostinfrance - I travel to my house from Dieppe via Rouen, Alencon, Le Mans, Tours and Loches. Up until now (and including this time) the trips have invariably meant arriving at chez nous and working. But the work is just about finished on the house, both inside and out, so from our next trip, we are hoping to start enjoying ourselves a bit more and spread our wings. Whilst it might be apparent that I love our house and the village, I do yearn for the sea a bit, so I guess I will starting trundling west in a straight line and see which town I hit!

PS - to Nickel - My wife loves the fact I am a supermarket addict and I do all the cooking as well...

[quote user="Mel"] For those of you who have made the permanent move, for those of us who have invested in property and long to make the move, and for those who just visit or dream about France, what is it we all love about the place?

In recent times it has taken a few knocks with the property market slowing down and allegedly, ex-pats returning to the UK in their droves (I don't actually believe that).

I will try to sleep for a few hours on Tuesday evening, before setting out at about 1.00am Wednesday to drive to Newhaven for the early ferry. But I will fail, I will be too excited... 

What does la belle France do for you? [/quote]

I'm looking forward very much to spending the summer at our French house (we go in a fortnight). I enjoy the space and the tranquillity in our bit of Normandy, the scenery is gentle and unspoiled, and I love the food, wine and cider.  Life is relaxed when we're there (in between finishing the last of the renovation [:)]) but that's because we're retired and don't have to try  to make a decent living in a country where this is notoriously difficult, especially for immigrants.

Sadly, whatever you believe, Mel, the hard fact is that many who move to France can't make a go of it for one reason or another and go back to the UK, a good number within the first 2 years. You only have to look at the number of houses advertised for sale on French forums to see that though many come, many also go.  The fall in the pound will compound the difficulties for those on fixed incomes.

So wear your rose-coloured specs, Mel, but don't let them blind you to the fact that life in France is far from perfect for many.  Just like life anywhere, really.....