I don't like snakes !!!!

I know many of you like them and take nice pics, but I don't like them, I am scared to dzeath of them and because of that I don't dare let my dog run in the countryside , and I avoid  it myself...  Good grief, am I the only one ??? [:-))]

A few weeks ago a neighbours dog was bitten by a vipère and unfortunately died, it was a very small doggie and had apparently been bitten on the face.

Villagers assure us the last such incident was over 25 years ago so given the number of dogs and the number of vipères I guess it is an extremely rare occurence - sad nonetheless.

Hope that hasn't put you off your morning stroll !! 

Poor Frenchie.  I, too, am scared of snakes.  Also of earthworms and anything that is long, thin, slidey and could be venomous.

I triesdsome aversion therapy years ago.  Went to see snakes and reptiles at various zoos and so on and they just seemed more repulsive with each visit.  So, no, I didn't ever get to a stage when I felt I wasn't frightened of them.

Had the shock of my life when I first came to our house here to do some decorating work and wandered out into the garden one fine sunny day to fine a snake slithering off when it heard my approach.

I have had dreams about snakes and I shudder just looking at pictures of snakes so you are definitely not alone.  What I want to know is, are there more snakes in Deux Sevres than Charente Maritime or vice versa?

The woods I regularly walk in just outside Norwich, has loads of snakes. They are mainly the bigger harmless grass snake, but there are quite a few adders as well.

At chez nous in Indre et Loire, I have seen the quite large local snake, but I'm not sure if it is harmless or not... ?

If you mean a coulerve (hope I've spelt that right), it's the big, long greeny-yellow one that my French neighbour assures me is pretty harmless.

He says there's a small reddish one no thicker than your finger that's the evil, poisonous, aggresive b****r.  Not that I'm staying around to find out if I ever come across one!

Jumble, our last dog was bitten on the muzzle by an adder in Cornwall. His face became very swollen but as we got him to a vet in good time he recovered. The vet thought that the bite would have killed a small dog. I would like to say that became a more cautious dog - but I can't.

[quote user="Mel"]Yes, it is the long greenish one that I have seen. But poisonous or not, they all give me the creeps so I will avoid anything that resembles a snake...[/quote]

Oh I understand that, poisonous or not, they are my worst nightmare!![:-))]

I am fairly sure I heard somewhere that snakes have very bad eyesight but that they are very sensitive to vibrations.

Therefore, I stamp my feet hard whenever I think there might be snakes nearby.  Not sure if it really works but I haven't seen any snakes at all this year.  Unless, of course, they don't like the rain or the cold, anymore than humans do, and they haven't been coming out!

Ever since I saw a huge grass snake in our garden that's exactly what I do Sweet 17.  Big stampy steps whenever I'm walking through longish grass.  I'm not scared of snakes really, it's just that they do make me jump and scream a bit if I come across them slithering unexpectedly.

Even Jacques, our big burly builder, said that "our" grass snake nearly gave him a heart attack the first time he encountered it.

Snakes dont like people and will, for preference, get out of your way. If surprised (or cornered) they will instinctively strike, its a natural defence reaction. So noise, vibration and stuff like that will give them a warning and they move.

People who get hit by snakes have inevitably "snuck up" on them however inadvertently. IMHO.

edit. Not all snakes of course, some are just natural nasty bas***ds, but I dont think European snakes fall in that category.