Two year old boy dies in hot car in Rhone-Alpes yesterday

We were out in the car yesterday and found it hot enough with the windows down - but this clueless couple forgot their own baby was in the back of the car and went shopping for several hours leaving him trapped and locked up in a closed up car in the baking heat. He died.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1035641/Boy-2-dies-baking-hot-car-France-parents-shopping-forget-him.html

(Yes, it's the Daily Wail...newsprint snobs can feel free to ignore)

Give me five minutes with 'em is all I can say.[:@]

Damn shame the guillotine is no longer in use...

Same thing happened here in the Hérault last year.  Father had son in car and went to work, forgetting son was in chair in back of car.  Tragically, when he realised what he had done, it was too late.  Can't remember what happened after.

Jura

I feel dreadfully sorry for them both.

At first after reading the Mail report I thought that the father was drinking in a bar but his age told me otherwise.

They are both proffesional people, intelligent rather than idiots I would hazard, they left having a family to a reasonable age of responsibility and now have to live with the consequences of losing their only child, what exactly would throwing the book at them acheive?

Given the circumstances I can understand him making the error after being distracted and no doubt worrying about opening the pharmacy on time, especially as having the child with him was not his usual regime.

A terrible oversight which they will have to live with for the rest of their life but not willfull or negligent neglect.

I do understand your anger though, after your first post I wanted to say that you would have to beat me to be the first in the queue but after knowing more I have nothing but sympathy for them.

[quote user="J.R gone native"]

Jura

I feel dreadfully sorry for them both.

At first after reading the Mail report I thought that the father was drinking in a bar but his age told me otherwise.

They are both proffesional people, intelligent rather than idiots I would hazard, they left having a family to a reasonable age of responsibility and now have to live with the consequences of losing their only child, what exactly would throwing the book at them acheive?

Given the circumstances I can understand him making the error after being distracted and no doubt worrying about opening the pharmacy on time, especially as having the child with him was not his usual regime.

A terrible oversight which they will have to live with for the rest of their life but not willfull or negligent neglect.

I do understand your anger though, after your first post I wanted to say that you would have to beat me to be the first in the queue but after knowing more I have nothing but sympathy for them.

[/quote]

Seconded......................................................

It seems the true story was that the father was being a Good Samaritan. I am sure the last thing on this Earth he wanted was for his child to die. I have tremendous sympathy for him and his family.

As for being a newsprint snob, anybody who has worked with the media for as long as I have will know that you should always be careful about believing what you read in some newspapers...

I wonder how many people walked past that car and saw a child in it and thought nothing of it.  You could easily assume he'd been there five minutes (not that that makes it ok).

We should all keep our eyes peeled for children or dogs left in cars in hot weather - if the driver doesn't return in a few minutes, something should be done.  I wouldn't hesitate to smash a window if I thought a dog was suffering (or a child of course)..... if you don't feel you want to do that, at least alert the shop the car park belongs to (if relevant).  Or kick up a fuss in the carpark and somebody else might take matters into their hands. 

Incidentally, I don't feel that being turned off by the hatred and twisting of facts that is the Dail Mail makes one a newsprint snob.