Old bones

Frenchie

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/plesdermystere.jpg[/IMG]

In my father's village in Britanny , there's a house with some bones sticking out of the front wall , and we' ve never found the real explanation to this ..

Some villagers have their own ideas about it, but none really satisfying to me ..

Any idea ?

Spooky to me ...

[quote user="Pads"]

Can you tell if they are human or animal ?  NO IDEA ..........

Could be that they are being used to see if there is any movement in the walls ?? although not the first thing that springs to mind to use [8-)]

[/quote]

I really have no clue .........

Is it a south-facing wall?  Could be for training climbing plants of some kind.

I'd guess that they had been there since the house was built, as hammering/forcing them into cracks or holes at a later date would probably have shattered the ends.

Nah, you are all way off. It is an old Banana tradition. When a lady Banana gets married (which is rare these days) the bones are put in the walls to remind mothers-in-law that they will suffer the same fate if they don't keep away. When the first one dies, her leg bones are put in the wall and a huge party is had, just to celebrate the half way route to freedom from oppression.[6]

Life in the SoftFrillyBanana household:

[quote]Monsieur le Ministre de la Défense Nationale,

Permettez-moi de prendre la respectueuse liberté de vous exposer ce qui suit et de solliciter de votre bienveillance l'appui nécessaire pour obtenir une démobilisation rapide.

Je suis sursitaire âgé de 24 ans, et je suis marié à une veuve de 44 ans, laquelle a une fille qui en a 25. Mon père a épousé la fille. A cette heure, mon père est donc devenu mon gendre, puisqu'il a épousé ma fille. De ce fait, ma belle-fille est devenue belle-mère, puisqu'elle est la femme de mon père. Ma femme et moi avons eu en Janvier dernier un fils. Cet enfant est donc devenu le frère de la femm de mon père, donc le beau-frère de mon père. En conséquence, mon oncle, puisqu'il est le frère de ma belle-mère. Mon fils est donc mon oncle. La femme de mon père a eu à Noël un garçon qui est à la fois mon frère puisqu'il est le fils de mon père et mon petit fils puisqu'il est le fils de la fille de ma femme. Je suis ainsi le frère de mon petit-fils, et comme le mari de la mère d'une personne est le père de celle-ci, il s' avère que je suis le père de ma femme, et le frère de mon fils. Je suis donc mon propre grand-père.

De ce fait, Monsieur le Ministre,ayez l'obligeance de bien vouloir me renvoyer dans mes foyers, car la loi interdit que le père, le fils et le petit-fils soient mobilisés en même temps.

Dans la croyance de votre compréhension, veuillez recevoir, Monsieur le Ministre, l'expression de mes sentiments les meilleurs.
[/quote]

That is so clever, Clair.

Does anyone remember the rag and bone men that used to come round with horse and cart? They sang out "Any old ragabo......"

As a child I used to wonder what they got up to with all those old bones, maybe they had a lot of dogs to feed. Or maybe they buried them for later. And the rags to clothe their poor children. I wonder if they existed in France?