Burning conkers

Kitty

Can I burn conkers on a wood burning stove?

I found a huge bag full of my son's autumn pickings going mouldy in his bedroom.  I just put them onto the fire and they started popping.  I wasn't sure whether I could continue so I've just dowsed the fire completely (a bit of a mess, I know).

So, do I take them all out and re-lay the fire with wood again?

Or, re-light the fire using the conkers, because the popping wasn't dangerous and wasn't going to break the stove glass?

Funny you should ask that Cathy, as at this very minute I'm being serenaded by the sound of exploding chestnuts [:)]

I baked a load in the oven yesterday, carefully cutting a cross in the top of each one, and they were lovely and pealed really easily.  But today I want to use them to make a chestnut mash, and so need them a little softer.  So I put them in the oven without pricking or cutting them.  Very bad idea. 

I've turned the oven off, but daren't open the door to take them out as they're exploding with such force. I wonder where Mr Cat keeps his safety goggles.  I wonder how long it will take to clean exploded chestnut pulp from the top, bottom and sides of my oven. 

Next time I'll  pr1ck holes in them! (edit, curses, foiled by the naughty-word filter).

Take them out and throw them away Cathy.

Anything with a hard shell and moisture inside will burst open when heated.

Many many years ago, as kids we used to harden them off, for conkering, in moms oven and the odd explosion was usually followed by a clip around the ear.

[quote user="Iceni"]

Aah, now I understand - Staffordshire is not just a breed of dog but somewhere north of Watford.

Thank you

John

[/quote]

.........and I suppose where you come from there's an 'R' in bath and no 'Z' in Bus...............[:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="Clair"]You're going to have fun with that! [:D][:D]
[/quote]

I'm thinking of using the hoover to try to extract the bits that got behind the fan casing, otherwise tweezers may be called for.

[quote user="Bugbear"]Please tell me you're not blonde

[/quote]

I prefer to think of myself as a pioneer, championing radical new ways forward in experimental cuisine BB [kiss]

Behind the fan too?!

Oh dear...

The hoover is a good idea, but after several similar incidents with microwaved potatoes, my guess is there's be plenty of hardened stuff on all the walls... You'll need a lot of hot water and elbow grease...

Marigolds?

[quote user="Cat"] I'm thinking of using the hoover to try to extract the bits that got behind the fan casing, otherwise tweezers may be called for. [/quote]

Cook a bowl of water on the non-fan assisted setting, to steam-soften the crusty bits, then wipe them off. The back panel covering the fan (on mine, at least) unscrews. Voila! (easy to write, PITA to do [:)]) Or do you have the 'self-clean' setting, which vapourises anything in the oven & leaves ash.

I have, with the aid of a pastry brush, chopstick, dustpan and brush, Mr Cat's mini car hoover, and a damp soapy sponge managed to get most of the gunk off.

I do indeed have a pyrolytic cleaning option, which I will set off in the wee small hours (otherwise know as heures creuses).

Marigolds will not be called for [:)]

[quote user="Bugbear"][quote user="Iceni"]

Aah, now I understand - Staffordshire is not just a breed of dog but somewhere north of Watford.

Thank you

John

[/quote]

.........and I suppose where you come from there's an 'R' in bath and no 'Z' in Bus...............[:D][:D][:D]
[/quote]

No, we spell both bus and bath as you do - though we don't keep coal in either of them.

John

[quote user="Iceni"][quote user="Bugbear"]

[/quote]

No, we spell both bus and bath as you do - though we don't keep coal in either of them.

John

[/quote]

Oh do keep up John, ...................pronunciation !

[:)]

[quote user="Cat"]

Funny you should ask that Cathy, as at this very minute I'm being serenaded by the sound of exploding chestnuts [:)]

Next time I'll  pr1ck holes in them! (edit, curses, foiled by the naughty-word filter).

[/quote]

Next time, there is going to be a next time.....[:-))]

Not Blonde, more chestnut.....[:D]

Well.  I cleaned out my chestnuts from the wood burning stove but a few stragglers remained in the ash.  Now and again, I get a 'pop', which causes the dog to jump out of his skin.

Which makes me realise that we should keep conkers where they are supposed to be - on trees.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"][quote user="Cathy"]

Which makes me realise that we should keep conkers where they are supposed to be - on trees.

[/quote]

Or on the end of bits of string !

[/quote]

I did have a '69'er' once...................[Www][:D]