Sapeurs Pompiers

Gardian

It's the time of year for their calendar and we've just been willingly relieved of some €'s.

For those who may be new to it, there's a tradition of the crews 'selling' a wall calendar to support injured (and worse) firefighters' families. I think that a bit goes towards their annual bash and believe me, they deserve it. We live next to a forest, so these guys are close to our heart. 

Our one this year is professionally produced and well worth a decent contribution: happily the number of ads in it must easily cover the cost of production.  Do keep a note aside for when they pass by you over the next week or so.

They came by us last week  ... I don't know what's the going rate but I gave them 10 euros which they looked very pleased with!!!  I agree with you, they do a good job and it's good to make their acquaintance, particularly since we live a little out of the way so I took great trouble to introduce ourselves (we're newcomers here) and give them time to look around just in case we ever need to ring them and get them down here in an emergency!

How much do other people give them, by the way ...?

My pompiers have a variation on a theme here.  Instead of a calendar, you just get a little 'membership' card with 'Honorie Pompier' on it for €5.  My neighbour is on of these guys so when he came round with half the crew, all fully dressed up in their gear, I bought one of these for €10 and asked if that meant I could now drive the fire engine (a really cool one based on a Unimog).

He just looked at me and said 'To drive the engine, you will have to give a lot  more than that!'

Ah well

[quote user="JSA Aude"]Two v good looking hunky chaps arrived yesterday evening[:$]  I also gave them 10 euros and IMHO worth every centime.[/quote]

Our elder son is a police officer. He once said, "People are always wary of us, but they always like firemen in their big red lorries."

Mine was €10 too.

I also think €10 is about right.

Having said that , for the second year running when they rang the bell the smallest note I could find was €20 ! - I don't have the gall to ask for change.

Must remember to get my wife to answer the door next year.

rgds

Hagar

Yep, 10€ too, here in l'Hérault ...

(I'll admit there was a bit of guilt money here.  One of our former tenants used to phone up les pompiers threatening to kill himself every time his flat mate locked him out.  And les pompiers are required to respond, of course.  A right little B88t**d, that tenant - only too glad he's gone ...)

Cheers

Craig

We know all our local pompiers - a couple of them were even born in our house ! Like everyone else in our commune, we open a bottle of red wine which they never refuse ! They get the 10€ and we get the calendar and the Pompiers membership card. The off they go to the next farm.......I often wonder what time they get home and in what state.....