Public Holiday

Fi

Is Monday (1st June) yet another public holiday?  I know the sous-prefecture is closed because I was going to sort out my driving license, but other people seem to be a slightly non-committal..... I suppose I should ask at school but the monsters usually make their own way there and back and I have to plant the runner beans, so I am wearing gardening clothes which are not for public consumption. 

Thrills and spills.

Fi

Pentecost Monday used to be a public holiday until 2005 when it was changed to a day of solidarity where people worked for no pay to support the elderly and disabled.  Following objections and public demonstrations, the day of solidarity idea was abandoned and it reverted back to a normal public holiday.

The English, who have an Established State Church, abandoned Whitsun and secularized it as the Spring Bank Holiday. The French, who are determinedly secular, keep the Monday after Pentecost as a holiday, as they do Ascension Thursday, and the Assumption, and Toussaint. Who can explain it? Who can tell you why?

[quote user="Edward Trunk"]The English, who have an Established State Church, abandoned Whitsun and secularized it as the Spring Bank Holiday. The French, who are determinedly secular, keep the Monday after Pentecost as a holiday, as they do Ascension Thursday, and the Assumption, and Toussaint. Who can explain it? Who can tell you why?[/quote]

They're hedging their bets?