Must you be resident in France to vote?

This is probably a question for Clair, but must you be resident in order to register to vote or can second homers also vote? I should know the answer to this and my instinct tells me it must be so, but I can't find the actual legislation that confirms this, despite loads of searching.

[quote user="Judie"]Thanks Clair, I had read the french part and your post, but I've seen elsewhere that you can vote in municipal elections when not resident. Can you or anyone else shed any light on that?[/quote]

Isn't this the answer?

Les citoyens de l'Union européenne résidant en

France peuvent participer aux élections municipales et/ou européennes

dans les mêmes conditions que les électeurs français, sous certaines

réserves. 

Sont considérés comme résidant en France les

citoyens de l'Union européenne qui y ont leur domicile réel ou qui y

résident de façon continue.

Why would you need any other opinion?

There has been a misunderstanding in the past caused by the possibility for a resident in France to register to vote either in the commune of his main residence or in the commune of his second home.

But this option only applies if the person resides in France.

[quote user="NormanH"]

Isn't this the answer?

Les citoyens de l'Union européenne résidant en France peuvent participer aux élections municipales et/ou européennes dans les mêmes conditions que les électeurs français, sous certaines réserves. 

Sont considérés comme résidant en France les citoyens de l'Union européenne qui y ont leur domicile réel ou qui y résident de façon continue.

Why would you need any other opinion?

[/quote]

As I said in my post, I had read this, but having seen elsewhere that it was possible to vote more than once in municipals, I wanted others opinions; not too much to ask is it NormanH?

[quote user="Clair"]There has been a misunderstanding in the past caused by the possibility for a resident in France to register to vote either in the commune of his main residence or in the commune of his second home.
But this option only applies if the person resides in France.
[/quote]

Many thanks Clair

I don't see what " opinions" have to do with it.

The text quoted is from the official Service Public website.

You seem to be one of those who prefer to take the advice of 'the man down the pub', rather than the official version.

Why should the fact that Clair says it is like that suddenly make the perfectly clear  regulations any more valid?

[quote user="NormanH"]I don't see what " opinions" have to do with it.

<snip>

Why should the fact that Clair says it is like that suddenly make the perfectly clear  regulations any more valid?

[/quote]

Half of the fonctionnaires in France apply the regulations according to their "opinion".

And Clair is intelligent, experienced, insightful and totally trustworthy.  [:D]

We have a maison secondaire in our commune, owned by a British couple, and I noticed on Sunday that they are registered to vote in our commune for Municipales and European elections.  I know this couple are quite active politically in the UK and I would be amazed if they weren't on the electoral roll in the UK.  So theoretically, they could vote twice ib the Europeans if they felt so moved to do.  I've raised the issue with the Maire.

They are not entitled to vote in both countries.  It's one or the other:

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F1937.xhtml?&n=Papiers%20-%20Citoyennet%C3%A9&l=N19810&n=Elections,%20arm%C3%A9e&l=N20070&n=Elections&l=N47&n=Inscription%20sur%20les%20listes%20et%20carte%20%C3%A9lectorale&l=N362

"A noter"

[quote user="Catalpa"]
Half of the fonctionnaires in France apply the regulations according to their "opinion".

And Clair is intelligent, experienced, insightful and totally trustworthy.  [:D]
[/quote]

I am sure that even NormanH agrees, like most of us, with your assessment of Clair.

It is also true that half the fonctionnaires in France have opinions, and can use them indiscriminately.

Some person I know (my lips are sealed, I won't reveal anymore even under torture), a French resident but definitely NOT French, was able to vote in the French presidential elections.... when they presented their voting card at the voting office, asking "is it really OK for me to vote?" they were told "Of course it is....we know you, you are practically French!". No ID was asked, as that person was known to the people manning the voting office.

This is absolutely authentic. I was there.

[quote user="Catalpa"][quote user="NormanH"]I don't see what " opinions" have to do with it.

<snip>

[/quote]

[/quote]

100% agree on both points.