New car, whole new set of questions...............

mint

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Sprogster"]sweet17, you are certainly right about cars being significantly cheaper in the UK compared to France at the moment, not only due to the weak £ but second hand car values seem to depriciate a lot faster in the UK, mainly I understand due to the influence of the fleet market. The other factor in play at the moment is the lower UK VAT rate of 15% compared to TVA in France of 19.5%. The other thing I have noticed is that the car manafacturers and dealers seem to offer far more promotional and finance deals in the UK, whereas in France car dealers are much less negotiable.[/quote]

Less negotiable is one thing, Sprogster, but it's when they can't be bothered to stay open for a few minutes after lunch-time that upset a friend of ours.

This friend went to a Peugeot garage just before lunch to buy one of their cars (in excess of 40k euros) and was told to go back after 4.00 pm!  He was so cross about it that he went off and bought something else.

Teapot, I doubt they'd consider my car for scrappage as it's on French plates!  BTW, hope you got my last PM OK.  Thanks again, Teapot.   

Won't start another thread now I have your eyes and ears.......

Found an ex-demo Mazda in Times on Line today.  Trouble is it was only registered 31 March this year.  That means the magic 6 months for not having to pay French VAT will not be up till end September......ggggrrrrrrrrrr..........

What might be an answer but not be a silly thing to do?  How many kilometres (miles) do I need on the clock to be VAT exempt?

Can I buy it and keep it somewhere in the UK until the 6 month period is up or can I bring it here and keep it in my garage until October?

Don't want to pay the VAT if at all avoidable, otherwise the car won't be such a "bargain".

If only life were different and I could buy Steve's Fiat Barchetta (see his post earlier on in the thread)....then it would already be LHD, no need for changing the lights and no need for these questions!

Two things spring to mind without knowing anything about the value of the car, if you are not paying VAT in the UK perhaps you could arrange to insure and go touring France on hol[Www], until you are able to import it into France?
Personally rather than all the fuss I'd keep looking, maybe have a few test drives and wait until Sept to buy anyway when the new UK reg's come out and all the used stock is revalued down by Glass's; there's always another deal and usually the best one is just after you have bought [:D]. If you're looking at the Mazda 6 remember my DPF prob? (Honest John says 4* but DPF problem with 2.0 diesels can lead to engine failure.)

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Won't start another thread now I have your eyes and ears.......

Found an ex-demo Mazda in Times on Line today.  Trouble is it was only registered 31 March this year.  That means the magic 6 months for not having to pay French VAT will not be up till end September......ggggrrrrrrrrrr..........

What might be an answer but not be a silly thing to do?  How many kilometres (miles) do I need on the clock to be VAT exempt?

Can I buy it and keep it somewhere in the UK until the 6 month period is up or can I bring it here and keep it in my garage until October?

Don't want to pay the VAT if at all avoidable, otherwise the car won't be such a "bargain".

If only life were different and I could buy Steve's Fiat Barchetta (see his post earlier on in the thread)....then it would already be LHD, no need for changing the lights and no need for these questions!

[/quote]

You would have to change the lights Sweet (unless the Fiat has a changeover switch like BMWs) as its on UK plates and would have to have UK dip headlights.

I wonder how much a 4 yr old Barchetta with very low mileage is worth in France ????????

Steve, it WAS a beaut, no doubt about it.  Would be a wrench though, wouldn't it, to buy it and then sell it on?

No good keeping it as I don't think a zimmer frame would fit in it with the roof up...........[:-))]

[quote user="powerdesal"] 

I wonder how much a 4 yr old Barchetta with very low mileage is worth in France ????????
[/quote]

Well at the prices for these old things, http://www.argusauto.com/occasion/index.cfm?action=8&type=1.5&marque=102&modele=Barchetta&x=23&y=9 you could buy, have fun in it for the month or two it took to register and sell it for a large profit in time to go looking after the Sept sales![6]

JJ, I suggested to Cooperlola that we do a Thelma and Louise in her new car (this was when she was still in hospital) and she said she wasn't going to drive off a cliff.  I guess it's no go, then?

But, what I really want to know is what to do about a nearly new car that is only 3 months old and hasn't got the minimum mileage in it to avoid having to pay French VAT.  How to make it legit and not end up with paying 19.6%?

I was hoping one of you would know the answer, or even better, that SD would take pity on me and tell me.[:P]

I thought I alluded to it in an earlier post, I believe when buying a car for export it is possible to have a temporary english registration and insurance that allows you to drive the car for about 3-6 months, touring europe for instance, before exporting it; I know my brother did something like this about 20 years ago. That way the car remains on temporary english tourist plates and insurance while you tour on holiday, until such time or mileage is reached to qualify to import into France.

A company dealing in cars for export should be aware of this scheme if it still exists?[8-|]

ps I thought Coops had all but driven off a cliff and survived to tell the tale[:D]

We had one of these as the family bus for a good while, not the sexiest car but it did feel solid and demonstrates driving off a cliff and surviving!  1987 Volvo ad[:D]

Thanks, guys.  I don't mean "brand new", I meant 3 months old, so already UK registered and only 2000 miles on the clock.

So, do I drive touring the continent until I have clocked what 6000 miles (is this mileage correct?) or tour around till October and then register?

Nah..........not brand new, too much depreciation in the first year![:(]

Thank you, Les.  Have had a quick read and have understood almost everything.  Will have closer read with dictionary, if the situation becomes critical.

I thought you'd know and I was hoping you'd come on the forum [:D]

Have re-read your link, Les.  Under paragraph 1, it says "6 months and 6000 km".

So, it's got to fulfill BOTH conditions, right?

I was hoping 6 months OR 6000 km but I guess that was wishful thinking...........[:(]

Oops, sorry, another question has come to mind.

Is it necessary to reveal mileage and period of registration at the time of buying to the tax authorities?

Is it possible to buy it and keep it in the UK until the 6 months are up?

Just looking at all ways that are open to me and not want to have to deal with a googly at short notice!

Blimey Sweets you are high maintenance! Here's a solution perhaps; tell the dealer you'll pick the car up in August, go over for a months hols, drive up to Fort William for a few days[:)], then down to St Davids for a few more, (lovely walks)[:D] drive down to the Lizard for a pasty, cream tea and a bit of coast walking, then across to Plymouth for a game of bowls, by which time you'll have done your mileage and had a lovely time[:P] Go for a minicruise down to Santandar, have a few more days down there soaking up the Sangria by which time it should be September, hey presto![8-|]

Slightly off the way this thread is going but .... we recently bought a car here in France from Hertz.

Ex rental job, a few scratches and a bit of mistreating on the way but........only 18 months old, still under manufacturer's guarantee, and a very good price.

We just walked into their local airport rental office and asked.

[quote user="gosub"]When you go for the Quitus fiscal they will ask you for the current  mileage and the original registration document, you obviously won't need to produce a CT.[/quote]And it were 5999km they would know how..................and before I get jumped on that is not an incitement or suggestion, simply a question [:)]

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="gosub"]When you go for the Quitus fiscal they will ask you for the current  mileage and the original registration document, you obviously won't need to produce a CT.[/quote]And it were 5999km they would know how..................and before I get jumped on that is not an incitement or suggestion, simply a question [:)]

[/quote]

Maybe, because you would have to sign a déclaration sur l'honneur, would you chance it?[:)]