The congé season is nearly upon us...

Kitty

Our favourite which will close for 4 months, and did the same last year. They are very busy all through the summer, just a husband and wife team and a waitress - two in high season. They went travelling last winter, then had a big re-opening in March; local wine growers came and dispensed free wine, and lots of lovely nibbles were provided. We didn't need dinner that night! The place was packed out, and put them back on the map in a big way! It's such a comfortable place to visit, all very smiley; the food doesn't change a lot, but is very good, with a good wine list. We really miss it during the winter.

Jo

[quote user="Cathy"]How can they afford to completely close up?

[/quote]

By charging extortionate prices to holidaymakers who they'll never see again. I posted on another thread some time ago of the seasonal establishment in La Tranche sur Mer who charged €3,60 for a 25cl glass of beer. We'll stick to the CMU bar which is open all year round in future.

The restaurant I mentioned doesn't make a fortune from tourists, Benjamin. Of course they get a lot in, but I guess half of their customers are locals, including the people who run the big posh hotel in town. While they are open in winter locals tend to be the only customers. They did reduce some prices in the VAT cut, unlike many others. We can't afford to eat there every week, but we're there when we can.

Jo

[quote user="gardengirl "]The restaurant I mentioned doesn't make a fortune from tourists, Of course they get a lot in, but I guess half of their customers are locals ,..[/quote]

One of our local restos does just the same - it closes in November and reopens in March. It is done purely for financial reasons; the reasoning being that the tourists have gone away and the locals cannot afford to eat out all the time. The owner tried staying open throughout all of his first year but ran into dreadful cash-flow problems in the January and had to close for 2 months. Must say though he does have a fair number of staff as he doesn't cook and his wife is a teacher.

Sue

• 3 weeks later...
Gosh you are lucky, the local village boulangere closes for his conge right in the middle of august - because 'he believes' its the vacances for him too!! We were out in Blaye during August and the amount of shops which had 'nothing to buy' barely an ice-cream on a hot day frustrated me immensley. I stopped at a Pizza restuarant and guess what it was closed for Lunch!!

[quote user="Deby"]Gosh you are lucky, the local village boulangere closes for his conge right in the middle of august - because 'he believes' its the vacances for him too!! [/quote]

Well it is!

In my area 5 out of 6 boulangeries are shut, a good proportion of the hotels also, those that stay open are often shut at the weekend and usually the restaurant will be closed (chef en vacances), the only "restaurants" left open this year were a kebab shop and a baraque à frites.

If it weren't for the hoards of bemused looking tourists wandering around looking for something to do, eat or drink, all you would see would be tumbleweed.

It used to really wind me up and it is truly the worst part of the year for me (the rest aint so hot though!) but I have finally found the answer, if you cant beat em, join em, next year I will take a break somewhere more exciting, which leaves me rather a lot of places to choose from [:D]

Well, if the boulanger has school age children, s/he probably wants to have holidays with them, rather than when they go back to school. In our small area of southern Manche, the boulangers seem to come to some arrangement so that they aren't all closed at the same time.