The hardest thing about NOT living in France...

MrCanary

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a phone call last night from an English ex-customer and friend who had lived and worked in France for over 30 years, could speak more of the local Picard patois than the locals and who visited me here in my second week here.

I was telling him what life was like now that I really know, and more importantly, speak the language well enough to understand the people in my village, the local town, and their values.

He said that he had tried to warn me that I had moved to the ar5ehole end of France, if not the world, but played it down a bit as he didnt want to dispirit me at such a crucial time, and in any case he said that I was wearing inch thick rose tinted glasses.

I reckon that it took me a good 3 years to stop wearing them, I might still be wearing them now if I didnt speak French.

Mel, you've got it real bad, haven't you?

We've discussed this in the past and talked about the excitement of disembarking at the French end and driving off the ferry in a flutter of excitement.

Well, I live here full-time now, have been for over 2 years and I still have to remind myself that this is now "home" and that if it never gets better than this, I shall have no cause for complaint.

Mind you, apart from selected friends (Brits, Dutch, American, Brazilian and French), I seldom engage with other people and what I love about France is that it's such a large country that it's no problem avoiding people that I don't particularly like.

I have taken the same morning walk with my dog for over 6 months now and I can count fewer than 10 times when I have met anybody.  Gone are the days when I couldn't walk a few steps outside my house without being stopped by people that I knew and couldn't get away from.  B l i s s [:D]

[quote user="Chancer"]

I had a phone call last night from an English ex-customer and friend who had lived and worked in France for over 30 years, could speak more of the local Picard patois than the locals and who visited me here in my second week here.

I was telling him what life was like now that I really know, and more importantly, speak the language well enough to understand the people in my village, the local town, and their values.

He said that he had tried to warn me that I had moved to the ar5ehole end of France, if not the world, but played it down a bit as he didnt want to dispirit me at such a crucial time, and in any case he said that I was wearing inch thick rose tinted glasses.

I reckon that it took me a good 3 years to stop wearing them, I might still be wearing them now if I didnt speak French.

[/quote]

One of the lovely old ladies in the village married an English guy...back in the fifties.  Their children and grandchildren have grown up in the village but he is still referred to by his nationality.  I reckon you have to be third generation before the rural french recognise you as a 'local'.

Hi sweet - good to hear from you - are you saying I've got it real bad, or I'm getting it real bad on here? (joking everyone...)

I've been about long enough and dealt with some really dodgy people through the years, used car dealers, scrap dealers, estate agents and more up-to-date, dodgy bankers, so I know all about rose-coloured spectacles and a serious health issue has taught me all about my mortality. But from what you have just said, sweet, as long as I am happy believing and doing what I want to, then that is fine by me and my lovely wife and she is the one that really matters...

Oh, and as I am going into hospital in the morning for another couple of tests, it was great that I also can speak French which enabled my non-English speaking neighbours to phone me from France last night to wish me well.

Good night folks.

[quote user="Chancer"]

He said that he had tried to warn me that I had moved to the ar5ehole end of France.

[/quote]

That's funny Chancer, 'cos I thought my end was just that, and I'm a long way from Picardie.[:D]

There must be a few of those ends about.

Must be I used the wrong seed packet.

[quote user="Mel"]Oh, and as I am going into hospital in the morning for another couple of tests, it was great that I also can speak French which enabled my non-English speaking neighbours to phone me from France last night to wish me well. Good night folks.[/quote]

All the best with your tests, Mel.  Just think about your next visit to France and that should make you want to be well so that you can return, non?[:D]

[quote user="Richard"]One of the things I love is the privacy. You can talk in English in public places and 99% of people don't know what you are talking about. I live in rural France, and most can barely speak French, let alone any other language, so I know I'm pretty safe lol.
[/quote]

Personally, I wouldn't be so sure.  In my volunteer work, I am the only native english speaker amongst a team of (other than me) French people.  I occasionally take calls from customers and friends and will be speaking english.  When I finish on the phone a few of those I am with will delight in repeating and translating at least some of my phone call.  Beware[Www]

[quote user="Maricopa"]

[quote user="Richard"]One of the things I love is the privacy. You can talk in English in public places and 99% of people don't know what you are talking about. I live in rural France, and most can barely speak French, let alone any other language, so I know I'm pretty safe lol.

[/quote]

Personally, I wouldn't be so sure.  In my volunteer work, I am the only native english speaker amongst a team of (other than me) French people.  I occasionally take calls from customers and friends and will be speaking english.  When I finish on the phone a few of those I am with will delight in repeating and translating at least some of my phone call.  Beware[Www]

[/quote]

It's mainly in my local bar I feel this way, and I know the locals there do not understand English.

Normally have a mock fight with one of the locals. He's an old boy and he hurls abuse at me in Berrichon, I hurl abuse back in English. I guess in that respect, there is an understanding lol. Must ask him if he speaks French one day...

The whole experience, each time I leave, it's a wrench, the space, the architecture, the weather, the light, cost of gazole, driving even, though an acquaintance tells that les flick chased and fined them for giving way instead of stopping at a Halt sign. Curiously they were driving a french car and when stopped they were addressed in English, obviously you can spot les Anglais at a 100 metres[:)]

[quote user="just john "]The whole experience, each time I leave, it's a wrench, the space, the architecture, the weather, the light, cost of gazole, driving even, though an acquaintance tells that les flick chased and fined them for giving way instead of stopping at a Halt sign. Curiously they were driving a french car and when stopped they were addressed in English, obviously you can spot les Anglais at a 100 metres[:)][/quote]

When I went on le shuttle a couple of years back, I had the top down on the car. Was French registered, steering wheel on the left etc, and on the French side, one of the blokes there said in his heavily French accented English "You've forgotten your roof". How he knew we were English speaking, I'll never know.

Richard, was this in the summer?

I ask because I am told that it is a universal truth to the French that all les Rosbifs turn pink in the sun!  So, if you had your roof down and it WAS summer, he didn't need much in the way of deductive powers, did he?[:P]

It was in the summer, but you've missed one very important point.

Before moving to France, I spent 8 years in Australia, my wife is Australian, so neither of us turn pink or red in the sun. After my first Australian summer, I got very bad sunburn, but thereafter, I get an awesome bronze tan. Shame I don't have a six pack to match. It's more like a barrel!!!

As a matter of fact, the Aussies play spot the Pom at lot too. You can always tell as they are either lilly white (ie landed the previous day), or lobster red (ie been in Australia more than 24 hours!)

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I ask because I am told that it is a universal truth to the French that all les Rosbifs turn pink in the sun!  So, if you had your roof down and it WAS summer, he didn't need much in the way of deductive powers, did he? [:P][/quote]

You may already know this Sweet but we are not called les rosbifs for the same reason that some people call the French frogs, i.e. because it is our national dish.

I was told it was because of the above, particularly noticeable on the Riviéra, the brits would arrive, get lashed in the bar at noon, sleep it off on the beach in the afternoon and end up with skin looking like (French) rosbif.

While I am on the subject why do all the French suntan lotions advise you to keep out of the sun at midi when the mid-day sun in France in summer is at 14.00 hours?

[quote user="Chancer"][quote user="sweet 17"]

I ask because I am told that it is a universal truth to the French that all les Rosbifs turn pink in the sun!  So, if you had your roof down and it WAS summer, he didn't need much in the way of deductive powers, did he? [:P][/quote]

You may already know this Sweet but we are not called les rosbifs for the same reason that some people call the French frogs, i.e. because it is our national dish.

I was told it was because of the above, particularly noticeable on the Riviéra, the brits would arrive, get lashed in the bar at noon, sleep it off on the beach in the afternoon and end up with skin looking like (French) rosbif.

While I am on the subject why do all the French suntan lotions advise you to keep out of the sun at midi when the mid-day sun in France in summer is at 14.00 hours?

[/quote]

I thought Britain's national dish was curry?