Rural violence

NormanH

[quote user="Mel"]That is exactly right Quillan, but I guess that is how the world has evolved. And I have to admit I am keen to help the flow of humanity by eventually becoming an immigrant in France. Or will i just be a semi-permanent ex-pat resident of France by retaining a home in the UK?[/quote]

I guess its how you view your move to France and if you want to call it home. Personally I realised quite early on that I was sticking out like a sore thumb so I flogged the big brassy car and bought one similar to what the French drive in my region. I started playing boule at the French club with the French instead of joining the Brits who take it over one day a week. I don't go in to town of Wednesdays which is market day and all the sad old "I've got considerably more money than you" Brit brigade take up residence in the local bars and apart from the two English friends I have, who incidentally would be the same people if I lived in the UK, I mix mainly with the French. I keep my head down and try in general to blend in. I consider myself a resident in France and thats where my money is, where I live and where I pay my tax's. I have been back to the UK four times in nearly nine years (twice out of necessity) and have always looked forward to coming home to France. I am sure many live their life differently and good luck to them if thats how they wish to live, I just simply keep away from them at its not how I want to live mine.

Hi Quillan, I like your response very, very much. If we are able to make the move, your way of living is the way we would hope to do things.

In fact, living between the two places as we do at present, we have adopted that attitude for our times in France. We have got involved in the French things in our village and made a point of being present when they are set up and, perhaps more importantly, being present to help clear up after the event.

We will be back at our French home this coming Sunday and we cannot wait! If only it were permanent...

Mel I would ask you to reconsider your view.

You must ask if the way of life you have subscribed to is honest? Why was a big brassy car needed in UK and why treat the French differently than the English?

Why mislead the French to your real type and form a sort of fifth column - subverting the French society from your real aims, ideals, 'morality' and living a lie?

The French are not stupid and would far prefer incomers to be honest decent folk that add something to French society rather than crudely and  rudely ape what they consider is the French way. What's more they laugh about this behaviour behind the backs of the faux Frenchies.

I am forever amused at the large amount of English in France that think they fit in as they drive Citroens.

You are not what you drive or the contents of your wallet - it is best to be the only person you really can be which is yourself - rather than pretend to be a Gauloise smoking local communist, while hiding your real intentions.

It is impossible to change years of conditioning and daft to be faux French.

Cheer up be yourself and put the coffee table, rose tinted magazine idea of life aside.

Hi Dog

I kind of see where Mel is coming from, but speaking for myself, I love the coffee table rose tinted magazine idea of France in addition to my UK lifestyle. I know I can't divorce the two and how I live in England provides me with the income to be a complete fraud in France. By that I mean I can have my second home, drive my gas guzzler and go out to French restaurants without needing to apologise. I don't think my French friends think any less of me in fact I think they feel quite chuffed that I want to indulge in aspects of their lifestyle albeit admittedly not every-day humdrum occupations. What's the point in my coming over to France if I can't enjoy the pleasures and indulge myself a bit? Roll on Friday!

I think you are right that we cannot change who we are and I would have to think very carefully about who I really am if I came to live in France, but for the moment I get what I consider to be the best of both worlds.

And back to the original posting, there is often trouble when a group of youths, whether from the valleys or from the town, get together. If "un simple regard" is all it takes to set them off then that proves that violence is not necessarily triggered by language, religion or even race - just a lack of respect and values.

I integrate as much or as little as I want, because I can and have that right. I have never been a massive fan of France ie it was never my dream to move here, but at the same time, now I am here, I do love living here.

At the end of the day, it's another country and has its pros and cons, just like any other country. For me, it's like a cross between living in England and Australia. You have the culture and history that England has, while having a similar laid back approach to life that Australia has.

But most importantly, I am here because it feels like home. I am me, and I will be who I want to be.

I think every region of France is slightly different and you adapt accordingly if you live here. We have a very poor economy here with a lot of unemployment and since the war (2nd) it has been a communist stronghold. I don't think it is always true to say that you are living a life that not really you if you change. It could simply be that you realise that the life you had before may not have really been you and that it was your work and/or peer pressure that made you indulge in things that you wouldn't have if left to your own devices.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Nice one dog. You been at the drinkies already?[/quote]

I don't know if that is a veiled compliment but I haven't had an alchoholic drink for over two weeks the strongest thing I've had is a paracetamol yesterday.

[quote user="Quillan"]I think every region of France is slightly different and you adapt accordingly if you live here. We have a very poor economy here with a lot of unemployment and since the war (2nd) it has been a communist stronghold. I don't think it is always true to say that you are living a life that not really you if you change. It could simply be that you realise that the life you had before may not have really been you and that it was your work and/or peer pressure that made you indulge in things that you wouldn't have if left to your own devices.[/quote]

So you are saying that peer pressure is OK in France but not in UK - you seem easily led.

Your third sentence perhaps shows the confusion you are suffering from while trying to fit in - have you opted for filterless cigarettes?

I'll get you a stripey blue and white jumper and a beret for the seasonal festival.

I've been thinking about this over lunch, (an M & S sandwich, which I would have to change if I lived in France!), and it occurred to me that yes, I would have to be who I wasn't for my own protection. The peer pressure bit would be even worse in a foreign country where I would be ignorant of backgrounds and views. Therefore the only option would be to mimic those around me as I half feel that is what would be expected. If I tried too hard to hang onto my own peculiar identity would I not be more ostracised?

[quote user="Dog"]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Nice one dog. You been at the drinkies already?[/quote]

I don't know if that is a veiled compliment but I haven't had an alchoholic drink for over two weeks the strongest thing I've had is a paracetamol yesterday.

[/quote]

In which case give up the paracetamol and get back on the drink then perhaps people will understand what your are talking about [;-)] .

[quote user="Celine"]I've been thinking about this over lunch, (an M & S sandwich, which I would have to change if I lived in France!), and it occurred to me that yes, I would have to be who I wasn't for my own protection. The peer pressure bit would be even worse in a foreign country where I would be ignorant of backgrounds and views. Therefore the only option would be to mimic those around me as I half feel that is what would be expected. If I tried too hard to hang onto my own peculiar identity would I not be more ostracised?[/quote]

I've stayed who I am (I think mostly). Why change? It's hard to live a lie. Just be yourself and meet people and if they like you, that's great, if they don't, it's their problem not yours.

[quote user="Celine"]I've been thinking about this over lunch, (an M & S sandwich, which I would have to change if I lived in France!), and it occurred to me that yes, I would have to be who I wasn't for my own protection. The peer pressure bit would be even worse in a foreign country where I would be ignorant of backgrounds and views. Therefore the only option would be to mimic those around me as I half feel that is what would be expected. If I tried too hard to hang onto my own peculiar identity would I not be more ostracised?[/quote]

I am a foreigner in France, and so I expect to be treated as one and feel like one. Strangely enough I feel less alienated here however, albeit known as the 'p*tain d'anglais'  than in some groups of people I used to have to be with in the UK, where I expected to be treated as a native, but was in fact a stranger.

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Dog"]

[/quote]

In which case give up the paracetamol and get back on the drink then perhaps people will understand what your are talking about [;-)] .

[/quote]

Most intelligent people understand me, if there is something you do not comprehend in that sentence please feel free to ask.

Tyler barked; [quote]You are not what you drive or the contents of your wallet [/quote]

I couldn't agree more Dog, but what if you really are a beautiful or unique snowflake....or a Gauloise smoking communist....?  (did I mention that Fight Club is one of my favourite films?) [:D]

[quote user="buelligan"]

Tyler barked; [quote]You are not what you drive or the contents of your wallet [/quote]

I couldn't agree more Dog, but what if you really are a beautiful or unique snowflake....or a Gauloise smoking communist....?  (did I mention that Fight Club is one of my favourite films?) [:D]

[/quote]

If Fight Club is one of your favourite films are you allowed to tell?

It's the other Tiler that needs to watch the film - perhaps we could find the reason for violent crime in France - just look for the Pepsi machine...

I was put off the film by the name and the fact that I like so few films made in the last 50 years - I was more than happily surprised at a film that works on so many levels. I have an aversion to rewatching film or rereading books but on the few occasions I have watched Fight Club I see and find more in the film - it is a superb film.

Anyway must dash have to put my false nose and leggings on and nip into Bergerac for a meeting of The Vichy Old Timers Association they really know how to deal with the English. It really pays to get along with the local fascists. I will be driving my Horsch there to fit in with the anti-proles.

Do as thou wilt because free men that are free, of gentle birth, well bred and at home in civilized company possess a natural instinct that inclines them to virtue and saves them from vice. This insinct they name their honour.

Why have my fonts all gone Paraguian and the leading gone all Hillman Hunter?