Be careful at the Post Office,......

you don't know what you might end up with.  I swear the following is totally true.

Well, there I was, this day at 1400hrs, sending a recorded delivery to the EweKay, (well, actually the Channel islands but RA might be reading this so gotta be careful!), and being served by a perfectly dressed and presented lady of some 50 summers who was sufficiently confident to show a modest amount of clevage.

As she battled with the sticky labels which go on the envelope to be sent, I sympathized and asked if the service extended to the whole world. She replied affirmatively, to which I asked how delivery was assured in Afghanistan. She looked up and smiled, saying that there were some exceptions, to which I replied that I was aware of that.

She smiled and said  "Vous essayez de m'avoir, monsieur"

I replied, " Non madame, je suis beaucoup trop vieux pour ça"

She reddened from the top of her cheeks right down to her cleavage, and somewhere beyond, I imagine, and then burst out in a delightful laugh and said, in English

"Mmmm perraps not, monsieur"

I shall perhaps need stamps a little more often in the next few weeks!

[quote user="woolybanana"]

being served by a perfectly dressed and presented lady of some 50 summers who was sufficiently confident to show a modest amount of clevage.

[/quote]

My dad always used to say, "Many a good tune played on an old fiddle".

I think that you should work on the translation of that and offer it to the lady in question asap + report back on her reaction.  We will await your report with baited breath.[blink]

Oh, Wools, I have had SUCH a laugh at your post and I forgive you all.

Coincidentally, I, too, was at le bureau de poste this afternoon and some disreputable looking fellow with a distinct lack of teeth tried chatting me up, honest!

Wanted to know where I came from originally, etc etc.

Anyway, when it was my turn to be at the counter, I noticed a very elderly gent behind me and I said to the woman at the counter:

Oh ces hommes, ils veulent conter fleurette toujours, c'est certain!

She laughed delightedly and complimented me on my understanding of "cette expression" and the elderly gent nodded so hard in agreement that I thought his head would fall off.

Anyway, THAT was a much more pleasant encounter than the one I had at the Trésor Public, but that, as they say, is another story altogether.

[quote user="sweet 17"]Oh ces hommes, ils veulent conter fleurette toujours, c'est certain![/quote]

But that is just so super and so very French - here men 'do' woo; IMO it's in their very genes. They cannot miss a (very gentle) appeal to an attractive women - ever.

Sue [:)]

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="sweet 17"]Oh ces hommes, ils veulent conter fleurette toujours, c'est certain![/quote]
But that is just so super and so very French - here men 'do' woo; IMO it's in their very genes. They cannot miss a (very gentle) appeal to an attractive women - ever.

Sue [:)]
[/quote]

Yeah, Sue, keep applying that adjective "attractive" when speaking about me..........us old crones need all the ego-propping we could get!

There's the same double entendre in english too - eg "ever been had?" after someone pulled a fast one. And the sexual implication of "to have."

I think you could base your blog on happenings in the Post Office, Woolly. So many dramas take place there [:)]

Many years ago a French girlfriend related to me in a very matter of fact way that she had had my best friend the day before.

I got in a pre-emptive strike and punched him on the nose before discussing the matter whereapon he told me it was a telephone call [:D]

Well, WB.

Are we planning a little (unnecessary) visit to the Poste this week?

Is the lady in question giving some thought to her 'appearance' in the event that l'Anglais turns up?

Will there be a run on stamps in rural Vendee post offices by male ex-pats?

The world is waiting to know.