Perhaps we should start an insomniacs club -AnOther

Morning world, kettle's on. The temp's at -4 just now, with the forecast for snow flurries up to the weekend; promising 'several centimetres' by Saturday night; that should be pretty! Probably just promises, though. Think I'll put lots of warm clothes and a flask in the car for our trip to Norfolk today; delivering Christmas presents starts today.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get to Norfolk, GG?

More importantly, have you managed to get back home?  I don't recommend a night in a snowbound car as a cure for insomnia.

I think the temperature in my bedroom is only about 12 so I guess it will be thermal vest, hot water bottle, husband etc to try and get to sleep.

C'mon, Kid, you don't imagine for one minute they's gonna give us the good news, do ya?

The good news is only in the bible these days and, if you don't read that good book, then, I'm afraid you've had your chips!

Keep warm and sleep well tonight!

Hi all, got there and arrived back this evening; set off back a few hours earlier than planned, as the weather seemed to be closing in. We had taken a shovel in the car, plus eats and drinks, remembering the awful time people had on M11 a while back. But in fact it wan't a bad trip back, just odd patches of snow and hail here and there. It was very pretty as we left Berkshire yesterday, but haven't seen much snow at all.

Unfortunately, when we got back we found OH had forgotten to put the overnight bag in the car in the rush to get off during the snow storm ; he'd put the box of presents etc in though, so lots to open on Christmas Day! I'll have to go in to town tomorrow to buy a whole new lot of make-up; now there's a thing - a silver lining behind that cloud! Son will pick up the bag for us over Christmas.

Trying out some new sleeping pills tonight; will report back.

Slept better than usual, although I woke up several times; travelling often aids my sleeping, will have to see if the new regime helped.

Glad we set off for home early; it snowed hard most of the night. It all looks very beautiful, and there's as much snow as I remember in 30+ years (we don't usually get much of a covering here, and we were even in France for February's snow!). I imagine there'll be a lot fewer children in schools for the last day before the Christmas holidays!

Have you woken up to lots of snow? [:D]

Kettle's on. If you're still up Richard, it doesn't have to be coffee!

I thought there'd be more snow this morning, but no more has arrived. It was so pretty yesterday; it's still pretty out over the back garden; the front view is of the road, looking black and shiny - I think there's been a big freeze during the night!

I woke up at all hours, and finally left my very warm bed for a very cool sitting room. Having stoked up the wood burner and made a cup of tea, I have spent an hour or two trying to answer Mickie Hill on another thread. I am now fully awake while my wife and children sleep without my intrusions. Onset of cold means snoring, and snoring means my wife prods, shouts and kicks me until I leave the room! Fair enough I think.

[quote user="gardengirl "]

Kettle's on. If you're still up Richard, it doesn't have to be coffee!

I thought there'd be more snow this morning, but no more has arrived. It was so pretty yesterday; it's still pretty out over the back garden; the front view is of the road, looking black and shiny - I think there's been a big freeze during the night!

[/quote]

That's because yesterday I bought my rock salt [6]

LOL, Teapot, how on earth do you manage to time these things?  First, you changed money just before sterling rose against the euro and now you have bought rock salt just as the big thaw begins!

It seems to me that you have some special hotline to whoever is in a position to make major changes to our lives.  We, lesser humans, obviously do not have the same access.

However, do you think you might manage to get advice that is of more benefit to you?[:P]

Morning all; fancy me missing out on the alcoholic drinks! Hope you're all tucked up fast asleep; if not, the kettle's on. It's back to normal to see Frenchie back on here; almost 'all's right with the world'! [:)]

We've had aother little layer of snow; it's very pretty, but hope that's it for now. Our elder son and his partner are setting off from Sussex by 09.00 to get here for a family lunch at 12.00, so hope there's not a problem on the way. I know they had to walk a long way on Friday as driving to work wasn't an option due to the snow and ice. [:(]

Hi GG,

It's a nice feeling to feel welcomed back, ta!

I managed a couple of hours sleep, then listened to the rain ( that immediately ices [blink] ), falling onto the velux in the bedroom.

It's a nice feeling to be comfy in bed while it's so cold outside.

I may sound weird, but I love winter.

Hope your family will have no pb on their way to your home.

Coffee ? Tea? Orange juice ?

Coffee would be nice please Frenchie. I like winter too, it can be so beautiful. But not if I have to go out in bad weather, or when I hear of people stuck in snow as on Friday! We're all going out to a country pub in the next county today, which serves lovely food; it's only small, and there could be problems if they've had much more snow overnight; we'll have the shovel etc in the cars just in case! It's near my brother and SIL's home, as we wanted them to join us too, and she's not very strong just now. It should be lovely driving along all those country lanes. [:)]

Hope you've settled in your new home and not still having to edge round boxes of belongings! Do you have pleasant neighbours? It sounds very rural; hope you don't get stuck on lanes when driving you and your son to school! [:(]

I feel exactly the same GG, I love winter when we can be warm at home or play snow ball fights in the garden. [:)]

Not when I have to drive in bad weather conditions.

It's mid term now, a 2 week holiday for son and I , great!

I only have a few boxes of books left on the mezzanine, which is my office, this will be sorted out these days.

Now the more pleasant stuff lies ahead. Finding new curtains, decorating,

At last our woodburner is working, I have wood, enfin !!

Our place is not so rural, it is only 12 k from Niort, but we are in the countryside.

Since we've been here I ve managed to see chevreuils, chouette, ragondin, rapaces, faisan, squirels, I love seeing them in the wild.

My two dogs Shadow and Jack have a big garden where they play chasing each other.[:)]

There are lots of associations in the village, well, for the moment I love it here.

Here's your coffee, deca or not? a dash of milk comme font les anglais??[:)][;-)]

Sounds lovely with all those creatures to see, Frenchie; although I'm not always pleased with the squirrels. I think they're a delight to watch, but they eat so much of the food we put out for the birds. We have only feeders which are meant to be squirrel-proof, but they are very clever! Last winter I swathed the poles etc with vaseline and tied holly on, but they still got the food! [:(]

We have many squirrels in the woods behind our house (we live in the suburbs of a large town, but bought this house just because of the woods), which are always in the garden, and also have foxes which come in search of food and play in our garden with their young. We haven't seen badgers for a while, unfortunately. We also have owls, which hoot to keep me company through many nights! I don't know 'ragondin'; we have many red kites flying around almost every day, but no pheasants or roe deer around us. Your dogs sound very happy - and I hope your son is too, and well-settled in his new school. [:)]

I'm pleased your burner is working, it's miserable to be cold. As you say, the decor is a very pleasurable part of having a new home.

Milky coffee please; I like it milky in the morning, no milk later in the day.

GG, ragodins are coypus, as far as I know.

Just had a problem having everything I have typed disappear off the screen so this will have to be an abridged version!

My poor neighbour came in this morning, eyes swollen and crying her eyes out about her dog who died on Friday evening within an hour of their moving next door.

She told me her cat also disappeared about 10 days ago and she said that she thought that had probably died as well.

Now she wants to move house again as she feels that, instead of bringing her happiness, this house move has brought the exact reverse.

She was clearly devastated by what had happened and her tears would have moved even the most hard-hearted.

I gave her coffee and many hugs and didn't really know what to say.  I'm going to make some fairy cakes this afternoon and take them over for the children.

In the meantime, a whizz-kid computer buff of a friend is coming over to see why my puter is acting so tempramentally (argh, can't spell that word!) and doing strange things with the email function.

Cold now but nothing like it was.  Sun shining.

I didn't sleep much last night after coming home late and then thinking about my poor neighbour and what she and her family must be going through.

If it was my dog, I'd have been just as bad.  It's terrible that this has coloured their whole experience of moving here.

Must go, more later.........