Misleading Place in the Sun Home or Away programme

Is it just me getting irritated at the latest series of Place in the Sun Home or Away, currently being shown on Channel 4 on Friday's ?

In the end credits the so called new series states it is based on property prices and exchange rates as at May 2008, when it was filmed! I could understand this if the episodes were repeats, but this is a so called new series on prime time TV. I can only imagine that the series would originally have been planned to be shown in the Autumn 2008, but was delayed due to the the economic crisis.

Last night a couple with young children were looking at properties in the Gard, but it was hopelessly out of date having been filmed well before the credit crunch and collapse of the £. No mention of the changes in the health rules either!

I think these type of 'fantasy' programmes have a lot to answer for in selling a dream, without any reference to the potential pitfalls. But then they have an associated magazine and road show to sell!

Rant over!!

Thankfully, that sort of programme is rather thinner on the ground now, compared with a few years ago. But a search back through this forum will prove that they have always been notable for having little grip on reality and encouraging an unreasonably rose-tinted view of the place they are promoting. I suppose they are there to fuel dreams and fantasies, and things like the need for comprehensive private health insurance and the difficulty and high costs of being self employed provide a jarring note to an otherwise idyllic existence (and that's not a dig at life in France; the same applies to many other ex-pat destinations).

There were a few programmes that went to the other extreme of course, by focussing on the problems and failures of those who had tried to live the dream.

But in the whole, I totally agree with you.

I noticed the dates of the programme also, and wondered about prices now. I especially enjoyed this programme, as it was showing places in our area of France. Prices did move, but seem to have bounced back, particularly in the Uzes area, where the couple were keen to buy.

As you say, Sprogster, no mention of health rules, although as this couple had lived in Italy for some years, it might be assumed they would know about such things, and I think they might have worked in Italy. Money wasn't tight for them. But for others thinking wow - what a wonderful place to live, a pointer to extra info such as health cover might have been useful. Maybe they should at least have a panel giving a health warning!

I think the most misleading thing, gardengirl, is that they were giving prices of all the property in the £ equivalent, not Euros and saying that comparable prices were 30% lower on average than the UK. With the 30% decline in nthe £ since then and house prices in France having been generally more stable over the last eighteen months, the current comparisons would show a very different figure. At the end of the day the Place in the Sun is a commercial enterprise involved in selling property abroad through its associated magazines and road shows, so perhaps one should not be surprised!

[quote user="Sprogster"]Is it just me getting irritated at the latest series of Place in the Sun Home or Away, currently being shown on ITV on Friday's ? [/quote]

Do you get a different broadcast to me ?

It was on channel 4 on my box.

There must be some people who are so well heeled that they can let somebody choose from a few houses they look at which one they will have ....But I dont know any! Most of us have to spend years finding the right place after lots of research . I never gave much credence to these shows when looking for my place .

I think if you move to a country based only on whats on these programs without doing any of your own research then more fool you and I have no sympathy what so ever if things go wrong.

As Will said, and talking about things going wrong, there have been programs on the down side also. Interesting enough with them I often thought, and I bet I am not alone, how absolutely stupid and nieve people are. An example of the lady who's house in Spain burnt down the day after she bought it and she didn't know you need insurance, well excuse me but how utterly stupid was she. I have also seen some pretty stupid things done by Brits round where I live. Many other Brits did do their research and are enjoying their life in France.

Yes, I do think there should be a more exact method of showing price comparison on these programmes.

The couple last night in Devon and the Gard did know that area of France very well, had visited Uzes regularly, so I assumee they'd kept an eye on prices over time rather than just buying cold.

I did think the town was looking lovely on the programme at the little Wednesday market; it must have looked a lot different under a good layer of snow last weekend!

Don't worry - the programme was a repeat - saw this quite some time ago.

What struck me, though, was the way the man kept making references to the value of a property after work had been carried out.    Mentioned several times, with several properties.

I think what he was planning to do was to buy a property that had 'potential' !!!!! - and then redo - or a bit of a makeover - and then 'make a profit'.

I wasn't too impressed with this couple;  I had the feeling they weren't really serious, they also had oodles and oodles of money - and he seemed to be looking at properties with a view to somehow 'making money' from it.

So no - it wasn't the most realistic of programmes - but then I never take these type of programmes seriously.  I just enjoy looking around people's houses, seeing different parts of Europe - and making a bet on the famous phrase 'made an offer which wasn't accepted' !!!!

I always regard these couples as just having a 'freebie' week's holiday somewhere;  and the programme makers are nothing more than glorified estate agents.

Don't take seriously - just enjoy watching some of the different attitudes to house-buying - and smile, smile, smile - we're not stupid enough to be taken in by it - and to be honest I don't think most people who are serious about leaving the UK would be taken in by such a superficial programme anyway.   It's just a bit of fun - and a freebie holiday for the house-hunters and the presenters !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chessie

John, I know the feeling [:D]

For the cynics, the agency for which Mrs W works was involved in some of those programmes a while back. The buyers are genuine enough, and get little out of it other than the thrill (? more like embarrassment) of seeing themselves on the telly, the agency gets a bit of PR (hopefully positive) and a lot of extra hassle. The only people who really benefit seem to be the programme makers, and as they are not particularly cheap programmes to make they probably only benefit from repeat fees. Certain aspects are staged, but not as much as you might think. And yes, some people really were influenced by those programmes and moved to France and other countries with little idea of what life was really like when the TV lights went out.

I think these type of 'fantasy' programmes have a lot to answer for in selling a dream, without any reference to the potential pitfalls.

There is nothing new in these tv programmes. On a drab November night in the early 1960s, Alan Whicker did an item on Tonight on Norfolk Island (see if you can find it!)*.

On the strength of his report 50 families sold up and moved there. They thought it was Paradise!

*It is mid-way between New Zealand and New Caledonia and extends to 13 square miles.