Snow Again!

I read forecasts of this a couple of days ago; I'd been checking for our arrival at Luton, but caught a snow warning for the Gard.

We're here in UK for a few days, where we had a severe frost this morning, but pleasant with sunshine and blue skies for the second day. This is what we hope for in the Gard at this time of year, but it's much chillier here in Berks. I'm pleased we're missing the snow, although I guess it's been looking beautiful!

[quote user="gardengirl "]although I guess it's been looking beautiful![/quote]

No it isn't.  Grey, cold & bloody awful.  Yesterday really nice.

Snowing big time now.  Neighbours say that it's "Comme Angleterre".  As if they'd know.

Lovely day here in the Aude today, but by 4pm clouds were forming, so suspect "something" is on its way - sleet showers are forecast, with snow.

Could do without it - I'm due to be going out for an International Womens' Day lunch tomorrow.  Typical!

[quote user="Judith"]Lovely day here in the Aude today, but by 4pm clouds were forming, so suspect "something" is on its way - sleet showers are forecast, with snow.

Could do without it - I'm due to be going out for an International Womens' Day lunch tomorrow.  Typical!
[/quote]

Well it stopped here an hour or so ago (no more than 15cms), so you'll probably get it before very long. However, we're at 350m here, so maybe more than most parts.

I always tell people that Spring starts end-Feb here: shows how much I know. I've been pruning roses etc for the last couple of weeks - trouble!

Still, we don't need to worry folks - GLOBAL WARMING IS ON ITS WAY [8-)] 

[quote user="Judith"]Lovely day here in the Aude today, but by 4pm clouds were forming, so suspect "something" is on its way - sleet showers are forecast, with snow.

Could do without it - I'm due to be going out for an International Women's Day lunch tomorrow.  Typical!

[/quote]

Well, it's just been cancelled (the lunch that is), and yes, the snow started here sometime before I woke up, light flakes and only just covering, however, in the last hour the flakes have got very large, and it is settling quite well.

Sorry to have to miss a lunch out, but actually, quite glad not to have to go out in it ..... 

In my bit of the Aude it didn't start snowing till last night. I kept telling Mrs 'Q' that snow was on the way and she nodded and smiled with that 'look' on her face. Well I got her this morning as there is a bout 10cm. I managed to get the car out and up to the (clear) main road and have been out shopping (we have guests tomorrow, wonder if they will turn up). The locals say it will stop by around 15:00 and they are normally pretty much on the button. I got a load of logs over to the house last night and have the fire choked right down but it's 24 deg in the lounge, I can always turn it up and offer the guests a sauna I suppose.

Dont know where you are in the Aude Quillan but here in Bize Minervois there is snow like we havent seen in years, even in the UK! and its still coming down. We have a power cut this morning and it appears the Sky box has blown a gasket so it could be early night tonight with a hot toddy and a good book, or man, or both!!

Here in the Jura it is a beautiful sunny day - but 'la bise noire' the worst East wind is blowing a gale- snow is drifting horizontally past our windows and creating the most amazing snow drifts I've ever seen - like Namibia but all white. Tried to take the dog for a walk, but had to retreat - even she wanted to go home!

I like the sound of the JCB Gardian; when we had 30cm in UK earlier in the year we were just left to it. Hundreds of people broke legs etc, mainly because no minor roads were cleared, and paths were cleared at the whim of householders.

Just our luck to have missed it down there again! I was there for the small amount in January last year, and have been sent videos by friends of the deeper snow earlier this year, but I guess it'll be gone by the time we fly out next week.

Hope you've all got good stocks of fuel of all sorts laid up ready! ;o)

J-L came round sometime mid-morning, but since our plonker of a neighbour had left his car in the narrow lane, he couldn't get the JCB right up to our house. Not a problem though, because its pretty level at this end.

The snow has been melting quite well all day and I've just confined myself to brushing the heavy wet snow off of the shrubs & olive tree. Just about finished with cut wood, but plenty more dry stuff to cut to .25cm lengths, which suits our hearth.

I'll need the boys round soon to cut & trim a few trees before long, so that the logs can dry out over the Summer.

The snow will be all gone in a day or so.

[quote user="Gardian"]

The snow has been melting quite well all day ......   The snow will be all gone in a day or so.

[/quote]

Well I  hope so, though  here it only stopped snowing about 5pm last night (we have about 4-6 in) and froze overnight.  Where the sun is getting onto it, it might be thawing very slowly, but it is forecast not to get much above freezing today, and our car is parked in the placette which gets no sun ....  and I have to go out tomorrow.   Fortunately, we did clear the car of snow before it froze last night, unlike our neighbours who were scraping hard this morning, to very little avail ....  their car is still there, covered in snow and ice.

Thought I would share this bit of news with you all.

Train stranded for 18 hours in snow

March 09, 2010

More than a hundred passengers have spent the night stranded on a broken-down sleeper train in the Pyrénées-Orientales after it hit 40cm of snow near the Spanish border yesterday afternoon.

The train, linking Barcelona to Paris, came to a halt in the border town of Cerbère at about 14.00 and is still stuck there 18 hours later, with 110 passengers on board.

The train cannot be reached by emergency services because the roads are blocked.

The local préfecture has requisitioned a local convenience store to supply passengers with food and drink and the SNCF has worked overnight to keep the train heated using an emergency generator after the area lost power yesterday evening.

There are no trains running today between Narbonne and Perpignan because of yesterday's burst of heavy snow, which hit 10 departments in the south of France from the Pyrenees along the Languedoc coast to the Vaucluse.

Some 600 lorries and hundreds of cars were stuck on the A9 motorway and local councils opened emergency shelters for stranded travellers. School is cancelled today in the Pyrénées-Orientales because of the icy roads.

Today it is the turn of Corsica to get snow and winds of up to 110kph. Météo France has issued a weather warning for the island until 6.00 tomorrow morning.