This one is for the Electricians, please!

mint

[quote user="Théière"]

[quote user="pachapapa"]Unique! Never seen one before....a white plastic shroud with a black plastic imitation earth pin and a black bit inside holding two 16 amp fuses.....Cool![/quote]

One of these: single fuse up to a maximum of 13 amp

I saw an adapter in Brico depot that converted the high power cooker socket to a two pin socket, considering there is no fuse in french plugs that potentially makes a very dangerous situation IMO can that be justified?

I wholeheartedly agree with Chancer the small diameter pins on the two pin plugs frequently cause arcing so I don't use them any more.

[/quote]

The reason mentioned 16 amps is because a three pin french plug is rated at 16 amps.

But your piggy back has a two pin europlug rated at 6 amps so a 13 amp fuse is a No No!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="pachapapa"]

Probably not.

FT line 50 volts...maximum voltage winout affecting human.

Earth 100 ohms...maximum resistance of earth spike.

Hence 500 mA twin pole differential breaker.

Dont worry it will trip long before your poxy UK KITEMARK 13 amp fuse.[:D]

C=E/R[I]

[/quote]

?

[/quote]

Why is an EDF breaker 500 mA ?

Your waffling now.

You described the link I gave as having two 16 Amp fuses when in fact it had a single five amp fuse. That's because you don't get six or 16 amp fuses for UK plugs.

I take it your little formula at the bottom of your other post was intended to represent Ohms law as I can't find any formula for c=e/r. If that is the case then i=v/r (v=Volts, i=Current and r=Resistance)

Technically your not supposed to put a two pin Europlug in to a three pin socket, you should use an adapter. That said and assuming the current drawn does not exceed six amps there should be little or no problem. If you do get arcing it's more likely that your drawing more than six amps.

If that is the case then i=v/r (v=Volts, i=Current and r=Resistance)

Oh Dear Q!

In 1951, at secondary school,in General Science I was misinformed that Mr Ohm had proposed that the Current  in a conductor was directly proportional to the Electro-Motive Force and indirectly proportional to the Resistance.[:D]

You mentioned about the 13amp fuse in those adaptor things. Having worked on sewing machines for nearly 20 years, the first thing I did when the machines came into my shop with those adaptors on was take out the fuse and replace them with 5amp fuses.When customers bought their old machines into me for servicing, I always checked the plug and told them to take out the 13amp fuse and replace in with 5amp. It is one of the causes of machine failure, but the customers thought I was just trying to get money out of them. I often did in the end, when their old machine packed up because of them not listening to me and they had to buy a new one!

Nice one T - but - when I tried to explain about the 13amps being too high a voltage for the machine, most of the older generation would not listen/could not understand. So when they came in about a year later and I said 'told you', they realised I knew what i was talking about!

I was just confused, though, looking at a plug (I accidently said 2 pins - was looking at socket), I have never had to re-wire a french plug (yet). But will be doing so over the next few weeks.

• 1 month later...
Hi, thanks for the information everyone - have managed to get the two types of plugs - for 2 and 3 wires and now changing over. It is straightforward! Just trying to find out what I do with the electric toothbrush(honestly) it is a 2 pin UK razor plug - too narrow for the French 2 pins and has to go into a 3 pin razor plug adaptor, then a 2 pin adaptor then into the socket - can I just cut off the plug like the other stuff and just 2-pin plug it?

I've got one of those toothbrushes too, Keni.

Worked OK the way you describe it.  Then, I lost the 2 pin UK adaptor thingie and the toothbrush is now consigned to the back of a cupboard and I now only have battery operated toothbrushes.

The bathroom in France has a razor socket.

Facing precisely the same problem, I searched my electrical draw in the workshop (The charming elderly French gentleman we purchased the house from was a retired electrical engineer and a manic DIY fanatic and left me tonnes of materials, tools and equipment) and found an older French two-pin socket which fitted the pattress.

Problem now solved and electric toothbrush plugs straight in!

BTW Woolly: My hygienist threatened not to treat me until and unless I sported out on an expensive Oral B electric toothbrush.

£70 very well spent.

When one is ancient like me (Ahhh!) serious tooth cleaning becomes a real fag. What's apparently critical is loads of gum massage to promote blood supply and oral health. The poor old wrist becomes tired (And NO rude comments! [:D]   )  Aging causes gums to recede and "pockets" develop between tooth roots and bottom of tooth, which traps food particles,ergo infection; ergo no teeth.

My tooth pockets are now only 10% of previous after just 6 months of using the electric toothbrush.

So, I'm with Sweets!

[:)]

Hi Sweets, yup, some of us still have teeth Wooly! Honestly though, the bathroom has one of those light/razor socket thingys and the two pins for that on the toothbrush are too wide (by about 1 cm on total). So I am resorting to having to charge via the uk adaptor/french adaptor/socket method - am i Ok to just cut off the Uk plug and fit a French 2 wire type plug?

I must admit the toothbrush does what it says on the tin, just a pity my dentist years ago cocked up my teeth!