My puter has pete'd

idun

Quote from Page 5;

A typical failure of a PC power supply is often noticed as a burning smell just before the computer shuts down. Another problem could be the failure of the vital cooling fan, which allows components in the power supply to overheat. Failure symptoms include random rebooting or failure in Windows for no apparent reason.

If you do replace it, any make with similar or greater power ratings will suffice.

Do stick bits of masking tape on male and female connection blocks, no need to be loquacious A to A etc is sufficient.

The wires to the HDs and DVD readers can often be entangled.

Just be methodical.

Cooking a good paella is more difficult.[:D]

If the computer has totally died, it's relatively easy to get contents off the hard drive. Just get one of these

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=hard+disk+case&_sacat=See-All-Categories

take your hard disk out, pop it into the correct size case and connect to another computer via usb and get your files off.

Well I chickened out and took it into my repair shop at 11 o'clock, called me at 13h and it was ready, charged me £20 and I think that that is a bargain and  not worth me attempting myself.

I have been down on my hands and knees plugging all the bits back in, which is about as much as I can do, and not always with success and voila I am up and running with my lovely azerty keyboard.

I truly hate qwerty, feel like my hands have to be held in claw like fashion with an qwerty.

Yes, I knew that, but that would drive the other users in this household wild, if the keys they touched didn't show the right stuff on the screen. At least with my lovely azerty they can see what is what and chose to use it, or go and use the other one[Www]

PSU power supply unit.

Cost to a repairer maybe £ 8-10.

At £ 20 for the whole job you have not been overcharged.

Capacitors, two in a PSU, are rarely replaced. But would cost under a £ 1.

Glad to hear you are up and running.[:)]

P.S. At a car boot in france a second hand functioning PSU would cost € 2.

I wouldn't know what a second hand one looked like if it hit me in the face, so for the price we paid, I think it was just fine. That was including VAT to they got £16.66 from me for the part and the work. Keep local businesses running too, which I do like to do.