Tour de France

idun

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]

But to reiterate, it was his fault that the situation even occurred, but I think he did all he could to get out of it.[/quote]

Except maybe have his eyes focusing ahead a bit further than the end of the bloody bonnet.

That's the trouble with those trees, they spring up anywhere, always when you least expect it.

[quote user="5-element"]

The car driver was unceremoniously kicked out of the Tour de France, as he should. He had been disobeying orders in any case, and his car shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Hougerland, covered in bandages, still got on the bike yesterday (rest day) for training. Such determination!

And this is his take on the matter:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303812104576439862756666174.html

[/quote]

5-e, reading your link, I cried too....

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]@ Bugsy, I'd already made that point that he should have been looking further forward.[/quote]

Yes but I made the point much more succinctly. [:P]

Anyway, I didn't realise it was a competition. [Www][:D]

Glad I wasn't the only one, Sweet 17...The human spirit, isn't it astonishing? I also found it very humbling that he doesn't hold any grudges.

This goes beyond physical prowess, beyond debates over who broke what rules, or who is taking what drug...

[quote user="NormanH"]Am I the only person who has been watching who is irritated by the extreme bias of the French commentators?
[/quote]

Nope. I was just remarking on all the cocoricos today, much more noticeable than usual. They were so hoping for a French stage victory today in Lourdes.

Well Jeremy Roy certainly is an exceptional young rider, but I was almost wanting him to be beaten by the time the commentators had finished.

Seemed a nice chap in the interviews too, although understandably disappointed.

Will be watching the next stage from Limoux to Montpellier with great interest on Sunday as it passes through places I know intimately.

It's only when you know them that you realise how far the ride everyday!

I would think twice about DRIVING that distance in a day...[blink]

[quote user="NormanH"]Am I the only person who has been watching who is irritated by the extreme bias of the French commentators?
[/quote]

Nothing compared to the BBC commentators when Andy Murray is playing at Wimbledon....[6]

[quote user="NormanH"]Am I the only person who has been watching who is irritated by the extreme bias of the French commentators?[/quote]

Nope. And it happened during the last Olympics too. Or at least, I particularly noticed it then. Sometimes I had to resort to tinternet to find out who'd won if a French competitor had come second or third. Or fifteenth. But I do agree that British commentators are almost as biased... they do usually manage to announce the other placings, though.

And in that respect I was pleasantly surprised when the French commentators (at long last) started to talk about Geraint Thomas as "le Gallois", and in another context, said "les Britanniques" as opposed to "les Anglais". They are learning.[:)]

Not been watching any of it, but it comes through our village tomorrow, so we'll join the merry (and probably damp, if the weather forecast is right) throng to see the riders fly past just after lunch tomorrow ..... all over in 5 minutes...... and no, I don't need or want to see the caravan again, saw it once and that was quite enough!

[quote user="Rabbie"]

In the Olympics for example the BBC always describes competitors from England as English if they win and British when they don't while Scotish/Welsh competitors are British when they win.

[/quote]

Very true, Rabbie.  I have heard that Murray is Scottish again....![:P]