Thin end of the wedge?

I think if you want to become a citizen, then yes you should have to speak the native language. In fact it's essential as with citizenship comes the right to vote. How can you vote if you don't know what each person stands for?

But to move there to be with your spouse or as a resident, then why should there be a requirement? I spent 5 years in France with minimal French. Up to me how much I integrate or not.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]How can you vote if you don't know what each person stands for? [/quote]

I think most people just vote for the party (or the candidate with the best hair) and don't really listen to what the candidates are saying, so from that standpoint I'm not sure that language proficiancy is that important.

I was at school with the children of first generation immigrants (one set Italian, one set Pakistani) whose parents spoke very limited English indeed and yet who in both cases ran businesses and actively contributed to community life. I'm pretty convinced attitude trumps linguistic ability.

Riff-Raff, I guess you have hit the nail on the head.

Mind you, if you woz a midwife like wot I woz in the 1970s and you worked in Luton and you didn't know any Urdu and you want to say, can you please remove your knickers, it's a bit difficult if you have to wait for a child or a husband to appear who will translate for you.

Otherwise, it's a bit of a tug-of-war with yours truly trying to remove the woman's knickers and she trying to keep them firmly on[:D]

[quote user="The Riff-Raff Element"][quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]How can you vote if you don't know what each person stands for? [/quote]

I think most people just vote for the party (or the candidate with the best hair) and don't really listen to what the candidates are saying, so from that standpoint I'm not sure that language proficiancy is that important.

[/quote]

I think that's probably why it would also be a good idea that anyone wishing to vote should have to take some sort of test. It seems many people also vote certain ways because that's how their parents voted. Instead of using their brain and deciding for themselves.

The vote is taken too much for granted imo. I'm only seeing this now, as I have so few rights and the inability to vote is one such thing I no longer have.

[quote user="idun"]

And just where did they think that the babies came out of? How weird that is S17.

[/quote]

Don't ask ME, id, I was only the "stork" [;-)]

Mind you, in those days you had to have a pubic shave AND an enema and they were the difficult bits to explain if your Urdu is not up to scratch.....[:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Mind you, in those days you had to have a pubic shave AND an enema and they were the difficult bits to explain if your Urdu is not up to scratch.....[:D]

[/quote]

Never heard that bit described as an Urdu - but one lives and learns.

John

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Riff-Raff, I guess you have hit the nail on the head.

Mind you, if you woz a midwife like wot I woz in the 1970s and you worked in Luton and you didn't know any Urdu and you want to say, can you please remove your knickers, it's a bit difficult if you have to wait for a child or a husband to appear who will translate for you.

Otherwise, it's a bit of a tug-of-war with yours truly trying to remove the woman's knickers and she trying to keep them firmly on[:D]

[/quote]

Even if you could say "can you remove etc" it isn't much help when you mean "will you".

John

[quote user="sweet 17"][Mind you, in those days you had to have a pubic shave AND an enema and they were the difficult bits to explain if your Urdu is not up to scratch.....[:D][/quote]

And if what I have been told is true, these are now a part of any young woman's normal preparation for a night out on the town!

It is my belief that most young women do not have an enema before going out.

For the rest, it is my belief that many men also pubic shave, although I have no proper proof of that, just what I have 'heard'.

Oh dear. That one fell flat on its face, didn't it! I think I shall have to give up the comedy.  [:(]

However, I did come across a contribution to some forum or other where an American woman admitted to giving herself an enema before going on a date ...  [8-)]

Some women go out with the weirdest men, I must say......[:-))]

Anyway, you lot were just deliberately misunderstanding me.  I meant, of course, that all that stuff with the shaving and the enema was in preparation to giving birth!

It's difficult for English speaking patients too. My mother-in-law was miserable in hospital because she could not understand the many Staff whose English was limited and heavily accented. Nor could she seem to make herself understood. At the time I was less than understanding with her complaints, but being older now, I can see how frustrating that would have been to her.

[quote user="Frecossais"]It's difficult for English speaking patients too. My mother-in-law was miserable in hospital because she could not understand the many Staff whose English was limited and heavily accented. Nor could she seem to make herself understood. At the time I was less than understanding with her complaints, but being older now, I can see how frustrating that would have been to her.

[/quote]

It's like that French hospitals too....

If they have a job where they come into contact with the public then they should be able to speak and understand the language to a good level. If they have a backroom job then they should be able to communicate with their colleagues

[quote user="Rabbie"]If they have a job where they come into contact with the public then they should be able to speak and understand the language to a good level. If they have a backroom job then they should be able to communicate with their colleagues[/quote]

And, if they work on their own, they should be able to understand the instruction manual![:P]