Recorded 'choice' messages when calling a company or government office

idun

Exactement! Then I have to waste time and money redialling to listen again and when I am concentrating again I run out of fingers to count on  or wiggle to help me remember which option number it should have been in the first place... Grrrrrrrr 

like a mad woman, I shout back, well not all the time, just when I have lost patience, and usually only if I am in alone, but not always.

I would scream if I thought it was Felicity Kendal though, wouldn't like her voice telling me off at all.

[quote user="marmite"][quote user="idun"]

Is it just me, or does anyone else go brain dead when they start blathering on?

[/quote]

Try not pressing any buttons when they ask, quite often you are put through to the switchboard. Well it usually works for me.
Give it a try.
[/quote]

Just press any button. The person you are connected to will sort it out. [6]

I had one that wanted me to input a pin number, as I hadn't called them for months I didn't have the faintest idea of what it would be.... did it give me the option to tell somebody that I couldn't remember it? No of course not, I had to put in a pin before I was allowed to speak to anyone.

You could try saying "I want to speak to an operator".

It works for paypal UK.  I recently had to phone them with a query that wasn't included in any of their pre-recorded messages (although I strongly suspect that their call centre isn't in the UK, or even Europe, given the accent of the person I ended up speaking to).  But she was at least a human being, rather than a recorded message!

It may just work with other services too.

The worst one for me was the UK television licensing authority, they are effectively a no contact organisation, if what you need to do/discuss doesnt fit their automated system then tough, you can hold for as long as you like, there are no operators.

I wanted to tell them that I was moving/had moved and hence would not be paying the license fee that they kept sending ever increasing menacing reminders for, there was indeed an option to do that, it then asked you for your postcode, well a French one was no good for that it just triggered the message "sorry I dont understand that" etc, there was not even an address on the reminder letters to contact.

I really pete un cable with some of the automated systems, Pixmania was the last one, its one of the few things in this world that can make me erupt, I always feel so sorry for the operators by the time i do get through to one, all I want to do is vent my spleen about their effing system and how long it has been emmerding me, i would not wish their job on my worst enemy.

Some companies don't do 'press any button'. Unless the press a specific button is obeyed then the line goes dead.

And that was a well timed reminder Chancer, need to contact the TV licensing dept this week. I did manage to talk to someone last time I called, so hopefully will again.