Scrapping a Caravan

I need some info.

I will very soon need to scrap a caravan (unless someone on the ''other Forum'' responds to an advert). How to do it is the question, its not French registered and our car is not English registered. Are there any particular rules in France regarding scrapping of same? What is French for 'Scrap yard', do they exist?

Its all such a hassle !!!!!!

Push the caravan to the bottom of the garden and when kids come home with wives/girlfriends/boyfriends, rugrats and other animals in tow, just emigrate there with plenty supplies and take pleasure in playing the grumpy one at the bottom of the garden [:D] Alternatively, tell them to make that hovel into their castle and leave you alone to enjoy the cricket, tennis, whatever takes your fancy!

Its highly unlikely that a scrapyard will take it - even if given for free. The lack of documents will scare them off, besides, there is very little in the way of scrap value in a caravan. The alu side panels are about all that are worth anything to a scrappy, and its a hassle to separate the alu from the insulation without making a mess.

Either park it somewhere out of sight and use as a playhouse / shed / chickenhouse or put an ad on www.leboncoin.fr - If it doesnt go whole, you might find someone will want the interior fittings and appliances for a camper conversion, and the chassis will make a decent trailer (no paperwork though, so should be plated at under 500kgs max weight).

The last one I broke up myself, I recovered the chassis for a trailer, the fridge, cooker hob, sink and chemical chunty went to a friend who is converting a VW T4 van into a camper and the rest I chopped up with an axe into manageable sections and took them to the decheterie - made an impressive mess with polystyrene fragments all over the lawn though.

[quote user="AnOther"]You might try advertising it on the Artificial Intelligence site [Www]

If all else fails I hear there is a vacant spot in Bergerac airport car park [;-)][/quote]

It is on the site quoted, first response from a member within an hour of posting, 'Inshallah', he will collect this afternoon.

Powerdesal - did you ask any money for it or was it free?

I have an old caravan (at the bottom of the garden) that I need to dispose of..  I am not sure how anyone can tow it away as the tyres are gone.  It did have paperwork but it has got lost (the person who sold it to me died before he sorted the papers out and the widow can't find them).

I was thinking of putting it on Le Bon Coin but was unsure whether to say gratuit or 5 euros or whatever...

Hi Kitty,

I gave it away.

I actually advertised it on the ''other'' forum for a price of 1 Euro with a 100% discount on the price !!!!!!!!!!

It may have been worth some money but I just wanted rid of it. It was towable with care for a short distance, at the collectors own responsibility. The lights worked and the tyres held pressure but were at least ten years old if not older. It had not moved in the last 7 years but had been stored under cover for all that time.

It will not be used for anything other than a ''brew-up'' shed for someone doing a house renovation project.

edit. I had many enquires about the van but it obviously went to the first person to respond.