Monty Don's French Gardens

Gardian

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="dwmcn"]

I didn't like Portillo when he was an MP, but quite like his railway programs. I can't stand that smarmy Brandreth.

David

[/quote]

Yes, I agree, Brandreth is a bit smarmy but he is amusing and can be witty with it!

As for Portillo, I don't like his ugly mug (sorry very un-PC) and the only Tory that I don't mind is Chris Patten, so I'm afraid that that's that (3 thats in a row, but it makes sense, non?[I])

[quote user="dwmcn"]

Our former MP Peter Lilley is a nice man in person. (Remember the Lilley/Portillo kerfuffle?)

David

[/quote]

What kerfuffle, remind me?

Lilley did the NHS no good whatsoever, if memory serves [+o(]

Hmmmm.....I suppose Lilley could have been thought of as a pretty boy when he was young. 

But, Portillo, he could never have been other than ugly........OK, perhaps his mother didn't think so and perhaps his wife didn't either [:D]

dwmcn wrote the following post at 02/03/2013 16:21:

You worked with Martin Biddle? Whast's your name?

David

I also remember him! I was a student on a dig in Winchester, there were lots of American and British students there, though I am not sure we were all there for the archeology [;-)]

Lordy, another Biddleite. I worked on the Brook Street site in Winchester for Biddle in 1970-72. I then stayed on to work for the City Archaeologist for several years. I was one of the Americans who was there to go to pubs. Some were there for, er, other things.

David 

[quote user="dwmcn"]I found the issue of Scallywag. It was printed in 1993 and the cover said Tory Family Values?. It is now out of business, probably because it didn't mention Monty Don.[/quote]

Oh, how you make me laugh [:D]

Still, no danger of anybody accusing you of straying off topic....

totally off topic now.[;-)]

David re. Winchester:

I was a very young student [:$] and would have been there before your time. I worked on Ashley Terrace, I remember Brook St. Did you stay on the old ex army camp outside Winchester? Evenings at the pub were good.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Hmmmm.....I suppose Lilley could have been thought of as a pretty boy when he was young. 

But, Portillo, he could never have been other than ugly........OK, perhaps his mother didn't think so and perhaps his wife didn't either [:D]

[/quote]

I think beauty or ugliness comes from inside.

It's rather ugly to make such superficial judgements [:(]

[quote user="nomoss"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

I think beauty or ugliness comes from inside.

It's rather ugly to make such superficial judgements [:(]

[/quote]

I totally agree but then, I have never claimed to be other than shallow[:D][:P]

I first stayed at an old school, St Marys, now demolished,  not far from the Cathedral, then went to a disused nurses' home in St Thomas Street, then to the old Bendicks chocolate building in St Thomas St/Little Minster St, then to 57 Romsey Road (known as Heinz House). I think the army camp was before my time. I'm telling this from memory, so I might get the streets wrong, but don't think so. Rumor had it that Bill Bryson was in the Chocolate factory once when I was back in the States, but Monty Don wasn't.

David

Yes David the army camp probably was well before your time. We were all taken to and from the Winchester sites on double decker buses and at the end of the day there would be a mad dash to bag the first bath after a hard day of digging! We sometimes had to work in the kitchen as well but the nights in the local pub garden were memorable.

By the way Monty Don had not even been thought of at that time.[;-)][:)] I for one am a fan and enjoyed his recent programme. I think he made a very brave attempt to speak French when required. I bet that he would not have done so had he known of the criticism he would receive from some forum members!