Mesdames

I agree with Andy4, I don't think you ever use Mesdames in English.

There should be an equivalent of Dear Sirs but I don't think there is, and in any case, I don't think Dear Sirs refers to 2 particular men, it's more impersonal than that.

Also, particularly in certain organisations, you can write Dear Jane Smith and Mary Jones.

I find this form of address used a lot in academic and other "liberal" circles because the use of Mr, Mrs, Ms, Miss is thought to be too fussy and not "equal" enough.

I myself quite like addressing people like that but I am also wary, like you, id, not to cause offence.

On a more serious note (though not in idun's case perhaps), if the name is very foreign as in African, Arabic or Asian, it's sometimes difficult to know whether the person is a man or a woman (or indeed a duck) so addressing them by their full name avoids a lot of head-scratching and speculation.

To two ladies, and I don't know their fore names, one gave their initial, the other did not.

I don't like Mrs Smith and Mrs Jones, just do not like it at all. Don't like Ann Smith and Jill Jones either.

And I do think that the first one who wrote to me actually was 'duck'ing me when she got the other one to write back.[Www]

The thing is that the problem has been sorted out now and I want to thank them.

Mesdames used to be a correct form of address in English for 'plural' ladies, in the same way that Messrs was used for some business letters - presumably a corruption of the French form of address.

However both are rather old fashioned now.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Come to think of it, what is the correct form of address for a duck, or a chicken or a camel for that matter. What about your pet dog or cat or ferret?[/quote]

Use a classification such as dear fowl, animal, bird, reptile, etc?

I have obviously had/have rather retarded pets, coz mine have never been able to read![:D]

Yes, Messrs was certainly in current use when I worked for a bank many many moons ago. And we had a few joint accounts held by spinster sisters and they were addressed as The Misses XYZ.

We never had Mrs 'au pluriel'.

I'm sorry that 'mesdames' won't work. I'll have to bite the bullet and use the Mrs and Mrs. Disappointing really, but thankyou one and all.

[quote user="idun"] I'm sorry that 'mesdames' won't work. I'll have to bite the bullet and use the Mrs and Mrs. [/quote]

I think Thibault has the right idea :

[quote user="Thibault"]Mesdames used to be a correct form of address in

English for 'plural' ladies, in the same way that Messrs was used for

some business letters - presumably a corruption of the French form of

address.

However both are rather old fashioned now.[/quote]

What's wrong with being a bit old-fashioned, especially if you are comfortable with using 'mesdames' ? I would probably use it if I found myself in your situation.

Sue

You could always write to the one you dealt with most, and ask her to pass on your grateful thanks to the other!

I never know how to address Christmas card envelopes to common law couples. I suppose it has to be Mr A Smith and Ms B Jones but I don't like it much. So sometime I just address the envelope to the one I know best.

ET, I had thought about that, but decided that I'll address it to them both.

I just like the french way of dealing with their 'title' to be honest. Women after a certain age are happy enough to be called Madame and the divorced women I know usually go back to their maiden name and remain Madame.  And 'if' I could use the french way, then Mesdames'd suit me nicely......... and I am thinking about it[:)]

Duck is a common form of address where I come from. Oddly enough, here in France 'mon canard' is used in the same way.

There is a problem with couples who aren't married. I feel a bit offended when people address Christmas cards to Mr Smith and Mary. It makes us sound like an old time music hall act and I'm past appearing in fishnet tights.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Does this imply that you used to? We will settle for no less than a foto. If you do, I am sure that Norman can send us the foto of himself playing Puss![/quote]

But I thought that Norman never wears wellies.  When there are floods, the barrique floats well enough and boots of any description are not needed?

Sorry, Norman, I didn't really want to indulge Wooly in his childish games; this is just an excuse to tell him that I have sent him a PM.

Wools, PM alert stp!

Nimt, yes, thank you, I got is earlier but am not really up and about yet but will reply later.

Wellies suit Norman well, waders better.

I see there is a hotel in, I think, Germany, which is now housing its guests in barrels, so, you see, Norman is really a trend setter ( This is a kind of `irish setter that has a striped coat!)