The Wrong Baby

idun

I daresay most of you french residents will have seen the news articles about two baby girls being swapped in their Maternity unit about 20 years ago. The mother ignored at the time when she said that the baby given back to her was not 'hers'. Given all sorts of excuses about her baby's hair.

I was put under when my second was born, and when I awoke, found my self alone, obviously in a hospital wondering why I was there and thought I had been in an accident. Tentatively wiggled toes and fingers and moved my head and tried to feel 'pain' anywhere, nothing...... and then I remembered where I was and why. It felt like an age before anyone came and then a nurse wheeled in a baby. In spite of him looking slightly 'mad'..... he was certainly mine, I had no doubt about it.  He didn't look like his brother, but even if he had been my first, I would still have been sure he was ours.

What would I have done if there had been any doubt........ screamed blue murder!

I'm sure that in the past this has happened quite a lot. Twenty years ago they could have dna tested, could, but obviously they prefered to treat the mother like some 'folle'....... what arrogance.

I believe compensation has been requested, maybe even paid. And for once, I do not blame them, sometimes I do believe that these compensation claims are absurd.

Also, I admit that in the past I have been rather disdainful about people who film the birth of their babies, or take lots of photos, but in reality it sounds like it is a pretty good idea.

Put a wrong right? No way, but just think of the cash you can con out of it [:-))]

The expression pug ugly comes to mind with some of them. You just pour it in one end and wipe it off the other.  That reminds me of how Willy Rushton finished off the expression he was given one time on 'Sorry I haven't a clue' quiz game on Radio4 years back

"Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings" and he replied immediatly "and all down the back of your suit". I almost fell off me perch laughing!!

I'm glad my youngest is 35!!

I too have yet to see a half decent looking new born baby after about 3 months they fill out a bit and they look better, if not great. Mine were not and the youngest looked like he was round the bend, don't know how to describe it really and that 'look' lasted until he was about 4. My friend's daughter born about the same time also looked like a nutcase. As it happens, both grew into very very attractive adults, I wasn't expecting that to happen with my son, that is for sure, but it did.

And all babies, look the same........no, and they don't sound the same either. Nature is actually rather clever at this recognition thing. And that is why that hospital was very arrogant in ignoring the mother.

ps My friend assured me that her son was the most beautiful baby........ what can one say....... best nothing I have found........... and just smile.

No Claridges don't like it when a maman wants to allaité son bebe sur place. They made one young mother cover her baby with a huge serviette. There are things that I have seen women use in the UK when they want to feed their babies and remain covered.

http://www.toysandus.co.uk/mother-baby-products/bebechic-100-cotton-breastfeeding-cover-105cm-x-69cm-with-drawstring-storage-bag-boned-nursing-apron-black-white-dot/

However, I don't understand how the baby does not get too hot under such a cover to be honest. I wouldn't have like to use one in a very hot french summer.

Re Claridges, it is a wonder they didn't ask her to leave and say that one was not allowed to bring one's own 'food'!

Idun, you have been got at. You have been conditioned by prevailing culture to believe that "beauty" is all smoothness and even features. Hence women are beautiful, men are not. Young people are beautiful, old people are not. Warthogs are ugly, gazelles are beautiful.

Babies are beautiful if they are judged for what they are and not for what they might be like in six months time. If we cannot accept this then we are showing that we have been conditioned by sets of artificial and vapid values which are governed by a sense of what might be possible in an idea world, not what is. My latest granddaughter was born a few weeks ago. She conforms to the physical appearance that you describe, but she is beautiful beyond measure to me because she is who she is and what she is.

As for the breastfeeding issue, people should get real. There is nothing shameful, disgusting or degrading about breastfeeding. Claridges should take a full page advertisement in every national newspaper and apologise for their behaviour. (Do you remember, a few years ago, a woman was thrown off a Virgin train for breastfeeding and Richard Branson apologised profusely. Unworthy thought: since virgins cannot give birth and hence breastfeed, could it be that a Virgin employee thought he was upholding the company's honour?)

There has been one positive thing to come from the Claridges incident: Nigel Farage has exposed his inadequacy to be a real political force yet again.

Sadly, what Farage has done, again, is to successfully appeal to his middle-aged, Middle England demographic, who are precisely the sort of people to be "offended" by public breastfeeding. He said that he, personally, had no problem with it, "as long as it wasn't done in an ostentatious manner", which was an interesting thought. How, precisely, does one breastfeed ostentatiously? Perhaps it's when you breastfeed whilst riding a unicycle. Or whilst juggling oranges?

Let's face it, this happened in central London. Spend half an hour in central London and I guarantee you'll notice dozens of examples of behaviour or actions that anyone would find way more offensive than a woman discreetly breastfeeding her baby. And from all eyewitness accounts, discreetly is a fairly accurate description of what this mother was doing. All you could see, should you have chosen to look, apparently, was the baby's head, hence the request was made to cover the baby's head...not anything else.

I thought that sort of moral outrage had died along with Mary Whitehouse....but apparently not.

I don't need to read a transcript. I not only heard it broadcast in extenso on the radio, I heard it rebroadcast ad nauseam throughout the day. It does appear that the oxygen of publicity is in plentiful supply for UKIP, as Mr Farage is now the go-to guy for an opinion on everything from breastfeeding to gardening. If only he would try shaping some policies. After all, there are minority parties with many more seats in Westminster than UKIP who actually HAVE policies on important issues and yet don't seem to generate half the column inches.

As for searching out and reading anything Farage has to say on any topic, I would quite honestly rather amputate a limb with a butter knife. I find him odious beyond description, so I guess that makes me anti-UKIP. And proud of it.

I have never willingly read the Daily Mail in my life, BTW, and seldom read the Grauniad, although I can see how it does appeal to grown-ups, esp. Of the Old Labour persuasion..but if you did read my previous post and indeed a transcript, I'm all ears to know how or where I in any way misquoted or misrepresented Farage.

CK I think that your hard wiring is spot on. Maybe mine isn't....... I

don't like babies full stop; but I do know that that bit is but a tiny

part of a life and so put up with it.

Incidentally babies when

given a screen of human faces to look at, will always look at the most

attractive people first, that is those who we all find pleasing with

symmetrical faces...... hard wiring again.

My mind has run riot with the idea of 'ostentatious' breastfeeding....... I can imagine a Monty Python style sketch, it would be hilarious.

Funny how this news item appeared days before Nigel Farage made his mild comments (on a radio interview) and it was then picked up on and escalated out of all proportions (including, of course, misquotes and outright spinning) into yet another anti-UKIP PR puff by the Liberal left.

Personally, I would not wish to pay £50 for high tea in Claridges, Dorchester, the Ritz etc to be greeted by hoi polloi feminists trying to make points.

Lets not forget, it is quite common for unweaned babies to vomit their meal seconds afterwards: nothing like the wondrous smell of hot baby puke to ruin your appetite.................

Ours did: regularly! I can well remember returning home, in Winter, after 12 hard hours, starving hungry, to my nice warm home and my loving wife, ready for a nice dinner and as I walked into the dining room my son guggled and smiled: and then projectile vomited all over the carpet, me and the room...

Suddenly, my ravenous hunger dissipated rather rapidly!

Well, I watched a young mum struggling with a toddler and a young baby at Gatwick the other day ( she was not alone, but her dad had just nipped off to get supplies for the older child). She dealt with the hungry and therefore grouchy baby quite magnificantly, whipped it onto the breast and into feeding and silent mode in one easy movement. Nothing indiscreet, showy or offensive. As natural and comfortable as anyone would like. And the breast was deilghtfully formed too!

Can't think what the fuss it all about.

Frankly, I would prefer public places like restaurants to ban the use of telephones which is both offensive and intrusive. I do not wish to know whether Diomedes got better marks than Clitoris in the exams or whether Sodomy (well, it sounded like that) has eaten up his sick and can now have a biscuit.

"'ostentatious' breastfeeding" ??

I suppose squirting it around the room may fit that [blink][blink]

There is nowt wrong with breast feeding a baby where and when necessary. It's got to be better than stuffing the child with sweetened, dried, processed cows milk. I wonder if the complainers actually have children of their own and if so I wonder if they employed a wet nurse. After all, it would be SOOOO degrading to feed your own, naturally like wot the animals do init!

[quote user="Gluestick"]Funny how this news item appeared days before Nigel Farage made his mild comments (on a radio interview) and it was then picked up on and escalated out of all proportions (including, of course, misquotes and outright spinning) into yet another anti-UKIP PR puff by the Liberal left.

Personally, I would not wish to pay £50 for high tea in Claridges, Dorchester, the Ritz etc to be greeted by hoi polloi feminists trying to make points.

Lets not forget, it is quite common for unweaned babies to vomit their meal seconds afterwards: nothing like the wondrous smell of hot baby puke to ruin your appetite.................

Ours did: regularly! I can well remember returning home, in Winter, after 12 hard hours, starving hungry, to my nice warm home and my loving wife, ready for a nice dinner and as I walked into the dining room somy son guggled and smiled: and then projectile vomited all over the carpet, me and the room...

[/quote]

Which was, indirectly, my point. Why, days after the event, did Farage even feel the need to comment? What made this particular piece of non-news into news? What made his opinion on the subject appear so vitally important to the debate (what debate?) that it was sought in the first place? Who, in the name of all that is holy, needs Nigel Farage's opinion or approval to formulate a policy or decide a stance on breastfeeding? Oh, hang on though...isn't UKIP generally somewhat of the view that women should be seen and not heard unless they are asking what their menfolk would like for dinner, or whether it's OK for them to get involved in a bit of voluntary work whilst the kids are at school and the breadwinner is out doing his hunter-gatherer duties? And shouldn't anything in any way squidgy or involving people's "bits" be kept behind the closed curtains and in the darkened rooms of suburbia?

''Why, days after the event, did Farage even feel the need to comment?''

Presumably he was asked to comment, by whichever reporter asked him. I can't imagine him ( even Farage ) ringing up the press out of the blue and saying that he would like his views on the subject being printed. Why would he ?

[quote user="You can call me Betty"][quote user="Gluestick"]Funny how this news item appeared days before Nigel Farage made his mild comments (on a radio interview) and it was then picked up on and escalated out of all proportions (including, of course, misquotes and outright spinning) into yet another anti-UKIP PR puff by the Liberal left.

Ours did: regularly! I can well remember returning home, in Winter, after 12 hard hours, starving hungry, to my nice warm home and my loving wife, ready for a nice dinner and as I walked into the dining room somy son guggled and smiled: and then projectile vomited all over the carpet, me and the room...

[/quote]

Which was, indirectly, my point. Why, days after the event, did Farage even feel the need to comment? What made this particular piece of non-news into news? What made his opinion on the subject appear so vitally important to the debate (what debate?) that it was sought in the first place? Who, in the name of all that is holy, needs Nigel Farage's opinion or approval to formulate a policy or decide a stance on breastfeeding? Oh, hang on though...isn't UKIP generally somewhat of the view that women should be seen and not heard unless they are asking what their menfolk would like for dinner, or whether it's OK for them to get involved in a bit of voluntary work whilst the kids are at school and the breadwinner is out doing his hunter-gatherer duties? And shouldn't anything in any way squidgy or involving people's "bits" be kept behind the closed curtains and in the darkened rooms of suburbia?[/quote]

Really?

Then how would you explain this, Betty?

THIS

Let's just hope they're all on board and on message with the UKIP plans to do away with equal pay legislation and curb maternity rights, then?.

I explain it as a rather pathetic attempt to overcome the laddish reputation of UKIP, and as proof positive that there are some extremely gullible and stupid members of both sexes.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]When did you get the job as UKIP press officer, Gluestick??[/quote]

I didn't, Betty. In any case I am anapolitical.

However, I become marginally exercised by mass media escalating what certain people say, by using spin, into storms in teacups.

And perhaps worse, gullible readers quoting such skewed nonsense as "fact".

Farage didn't start this damned nonsense: it was started by a girlie seeking her five minutes of fame: and gaining the support of "outraged" idiots.

Such as the silly woman  Jemima Lewis writing (if her random scrabble can be so dignified) in the Telegraph today.

See here:

If anyone possessed of a half decent upbringing, a modicum of social graces and a soupcon of acceptable behaviour can condone not only her admitted behaviour but defence, then the sooner so-called civilisation returns to the middle ages then the better........