Seemed a good idea at the time

PaulT

Towards the end of September 2014 with the £ still at a relatively good rate and oil prices low it seemed a good idea to fill the tank.

Went on line and one of the sites quoted 0,86 per litre for superior oil. Contacted our normal supplier and they matched the price...well happy.

Now, the website sends me regular emails about the good rates. A couple of days ago I got a quote.....0,76 per litre and the £ is still in the same place. Over on the 15th so it would have been better to have waited - aint hindsight wonderful.

Yes the price of gas should drop, but expect a significant wait. French gas is produced as a by-product of oil refining and as such the price should have already dropped, based on the price of oil. However the international market price for gas has not yet moved as significantly as oil. In Europe this is because the major producer is Russia and they are now in such financial straights that they are unlikely to push the price down - preferring to restrict supplies.- which if there is a hard winter could lead to some problems for EU countries, and so punish the EU for its stance over Ukraine.

I suspect the falling gas price will eventually meet a rising oil price. As Powerdesal says, don't hold your breath.