La Rentree !

Gardian

I only found out today that the term 'La Rentree' refers not just to the kids going back to school, but really the end of Summer.

Anyway, its good. The weather has turned more than a bit, although it was quite nice today.

The roads are so much quieter - still a few, but not nearly so many bloody cyclists & runners who you risk mowing down. Not keen on cyclists. Two or even three abreast on a narrow road.

The boulangerie is less of a madhouse - most customers are now local and seem to have some sort of an idea about what they want to buy when their turn comes. Furthermore, the transactions are smallish - some of these people rack up E15+ per day on bread & viennoisseries! Must be a lot of them. As always, the purse or wallet never appears from the handbag or pocket until the sum is pronounced - then the interminable rooting around amongst the coins starts.

Parking is now back to normal - the last 8 weeks has been murder as always in the high season. I don't think that there's been a single soul left in Belgium in the last month or so. They were all down here!

I won't mention the local supermarkets - well, I just did, but you can imagine.

So there you are: Grumpy Grauniad is more than happy that the season is over. Are you?

Quite right, the cyclists (and horses, walkers, runners, tractors, trucks, buses and other miscellaneous road users) should never have been allowed to use the private reserves which are the car-drivers' own reserves.

Sid Froome

On the plus side, OH is back to his ping pong club and I have Wednesday evenings all to myself again![:D]

But, by the law of all that is annoying, gym for me hasn't started because the salle is being relooké (as Betty might put it) and goodness knows when les travaux will be finished.  La rentrée or not, I don't think anybody is up to speed yet, despite there being no more sun beds to lie on[:(]

[quote user="idun"]I love academic diaries. Buy them in the UK, not particularly a french thing.

Love the rentree, just feels like my favourite times of year are on the way, autumn and winter!

[/quote]

Are they academic diaries in France ?

Not trying to be French, but for me the year does start on the 1st September in France. Buying a diary (especially if you have kids in the system) from Sept to Sept is a good idea.

P.S Why can't you quote on this forum ?

What else would you call a diary that starts at the beginning of the school year? Whatever I like them. Do not know why, but I am not any good with diaries that start in January. Maybe it is because it is the end of the year when I am so busy and I never think to transfer things information across.

Love the nights drawing in too, just a good time of year for me.

Well, I'm sad that it's the rentree. I think it's a shame that the shops are full of 'Back to School' from early August, and I enjoy the bustle of summer with all the holidaymakers. At least the weather here is still lovely, although it surely can't last much longer.