A lickle blague for Norman

YCCMB

All this sort of thing reminds me of the splendid sign that used to be outside the council office in Slough, which announced to all comers:

"Welcome to Slough. A nuclear-free town"

Another example of "We have spoken, and it shall be so" Pffft!

[quote user="nomoss"]

The first "w" of "www" is missing. Copy, paste to your browser, then add it [:D]

[/quote]

nomoss, I am in the midst of reading a Kurt Wallander detective story (fortunately already translated from the Swedish!) and I think that you could help him solve the mystery!

Blimey, talk about attention to detail[:D]  Me, I'm one of these "broad brush" persons and details pass me by[:(]

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]All this sort of thing reminds me of the splendid sign that used to be outside the council office in Slough, which announced to all comers:

"Welcome to Slough. A nuclear-free town"

Another example of "We have spoken, and it shall be so" Pffft![/quote]

I remember that Slough, in the sixties, had signs all the way along the A4 announcing

"Slough is safety town!", together with some very annoying synchronised traffic lights, which some used to try to race[+o(]

Watching events on the TV programmes with cops chasing (mostly) kids in stolen cars in the Thames Valley, I can understand why the signs are no longer there.

[quote user="mint"][quote user="nomoss"]

The first "w" of "www" is missing. Copy, paste to your browser, then add it [:D]

[/quote]

nomoss, I am in the midst of reading a Kurt Wallander detective story (fortunately already translated from the Swedish!) and I think that you could help him solve the mystery!

Blimey, talk about attention to detail[:D]  Me, I'm one of these "broad brush" persons and details pass me by[:(]

[/quote]

Any time you have a problem getting a live link to work, it's worth making sure that it makes sense - e.g. the prefix is complete, and no letters or words have been added to the link due to no spaces being placed before or after it.

All of which was eclipsed, for me, nomoss, when the council in Windsor (of a bit more interest to me then, as that's who we paid local taxes to) festooned the town with banners announcing how much they'd saved on council tax expenditure. I was,left to assume that they'd spent the savings on the poxy banners.

Slough's strap line now appears to be something about being "green" yeah, right.

[quote user="nomoss"]I remember that Slough, in the sixties, had signs all the way along the A4 announcing

together with some very annoying synchronised traffic lights, which some used to try to race[+o(][/quote]

Don't know why you ever bothered Nomoss.  All the time I lived there, I regularly visited a friend in Burnham (of Beeches fame) and returned home via the A4, to the east side of Slough, and I never cracked it .. the more you tried, the more they fought you!! I'm now pretty sure that if you stuck rigidly to the 30mph you got every stuck at everyone, or you got through, depending on the timing when  you arrived at the first one!.  I often went through the industrial estate instead (which had it's own set of challenges of course!)

[quote user="Judith"]

All the time I lived there, I returned home via the A4, to the east side of Slough, and I cracked it !!

[/quote]

I didn't say that I tried to race the lights. I was on a pedal cycle at the time.

You should really quote posts in full[:D]

EDIT:  Thinking back, it was in the '50's, not the '60's