Bit of a problem folks..............

Long story, will condense : we live in quiet cul-de-sac. Opposite there are small chalets, one of which obliquely opposite was recently sold. New owners moved in two weeks ago, and made a huge noise on a Sunday. But since that time, their 2 year old cross Alsatian howls continuously throughout the day [we are retired so are at home] when it is tied up and no-one is at home.

When he is not howling, he is barking non-stop. Talked to our of our neighbours today who tells us the dog is young [see above] and that the owner is a policeman!!!!!!!! Alors, she says, il y a rien a faire. Cannot believe this, but obviously he would die laughing if we threatened him with the police. Have thought to go to the local vet and ask their advice. Is there an RSPCA in France [we have no animals]. Can anything practically be done? For all sensible replies, many thanks in advance as we are going mad here!!!!!

Here are some links for you. Not allowed. And the police know this!

I would go to the Mairie first and mention it. I would consider getting a hussier to constat the noise too, and hopefully the neighbours will join you in this, persue it.

http://www.pap.fr/conseils/voisinage/le-chien-de-mes-voisins-aboie-que-faire/a7651

And from the Ministre de l'Interieur

http://www.interieur.gouv.fr/A-votre-service/Ma-securite/Conseils-pratiques/Mon-domicile/Nuisances-sonores

Nuisances et bruits par animaux

Le propriétaire

peut-il être déclaré responsable des dommages causés par son

animal ?

En vertu de l'article 1385 du code civil, que l'animal soit sous

sa garde ou se soit égaré ou échappé, le propriétaire est

responsable du ou des dommages causés par l'animal. Ainsi si un

chien brise sa laisse et cause la chute d'un enfant, le propriétaire

peut être déclaré responsable. Il en est de même si l'animal

cause des dégradations aux clôtures voisines. Mais il est déchargé

de sa responsabilité si l'animal se trouve, lors de la survenance

des dommages, sous la garde d'une autre personne (vétérinaire).

Il

est possible de s'assurer contre les risques causés par un animal

domestique (assurance responsabilité civile).

Les aboiements

Les aboiements d'un chien, s'ils sont excessifs (par exemple la

nuit et le jour), peuvent être considérés comme des troubles

anormaux de voisinage et le propriétaire du chien peut être déclaré

responsable des troubles causés. Pour faire cesser ce trouble

adressez-vous : à la Mairie de votre domicile, au Commissariat de

Police ou à la Gendarmerie, dont vous dépendez.

Before threatening him with anything including his own employers [:)] I would try talking to him first, think carefully about how you are going to do so as you never get a chance to make a second impression and getting on the wrong side of a new neighbour especially a flic could cost you dearly in the long term.

He might take exception and decide that you are an emmerdeur in any case but far more likely if the first he knows of you is contact via a 3rd party making a complaint.

my neighbour in the UK was dogsitting for a week, the dog was left in the garden for only 1/2 an hour while they were visiting:caring for my bedridden neighbour on the other side and the barking of the dog plus it setting of others was more than I could stand so I sympathise with you.

You have my sympathy too because I had a barking dog opposite me in the UK for a couple of years, it went on literally all night sometimes and I used to lie there planning on wrapping asprins up in mince and throwing it to him. I know it's the owners fault not the dogs but you get so full of hate you just want the thing gone out of your life.

There are laws against it in France but it's a slow process and while it's going on it's added tension on top of the barking.

If there's noone at home maybe you could try one of those devices that emit an ultrasonic signal every time the dog barks, I have no idea if they work but anything's worth a try if it's that bad.

Have been through all of this, although she was not a policewoman. 3 labradors, all night barking. Spoke to her first, no change. Wrote to the Mayor (I was on the council at the time). He ignored the letter! Went to the local gendarmes (knew him as our sons did judo together). he told me to "Porter Plainte" with him, which I did. They visited the neighbour. She ignored the visit. I eventually went outside, stood next to the dogs in our garden and telephoned the Gendarmes and asked them to send out the "patrouille". Took a while as they could not hear me over the barking dogs. They came and forced the dogs into the house and locked them in. They told me to make a "dépôt de plainte". I went to the Gendarmes and made a written complaint against the woman. She was served with a "convocation" to go to the Gendarmes (which she ignored) and then faced a police tribunal. She moved and the problem went away.She was known to the police and had a string of gentlemen callers of very large sizes.

It took months. It would have helped if the mayor had got off his a*s, but he blamed the gendarmes and they blamed him. Even though I knew the gendarme, he did not tell me that the porter" was worthless and the "dépôt" was the only think that counted. ALL the neighbours suffered and muttered, but no-one would do anything. It started to make me ill, stopped me sleeping in our bedroom and I still fume about it. All the info for the steps is on the Service Publique site.

Good luck.

Lehaut, could you please explain the difference between porter plainte and depot plainte?  Sorry about lack of accents.

It's not for this particular problem but for others that might crop up and I need to do something similar.

Sheila, I too had the ghastly neighbours' horrible dogs that did this and I got barked at every time I just put my nose out of doors.  However, they seem to have grown up a bit now and the barking is only occasional.

If you don't get this resolved, I do hope the dog grows up quickly and comes to its senses.

Most of my tenants in the UK have had dogs, as my pied à terre is maybe 7m the other side of the dividing fence and as I am an infrequent visitor initially they bark when I am around but they soon get used to me.

Some South African tenants had two "outdoor dogs" in that ther role in ZA was to protect the family and they had outside kennels, they were used to me and didnt bark, then I took a French girlfriend home with me for Valentines week-end, they did not bark at her either.

However when we were Inside my love shack where they could not possibly hear us every time we got close to being intimate the larger of the dogs would growl menacingly [:-))] and I do mean every time, it had us in fits of laugher [:D]

Knowing how good their sense of smell is it must have been a pheremone thing.

As I understand it, one is where you go to the Gendarmes and speak to them, the other you actually go to the office and put it all in a "statement", written out and signed by you, less easy to be ignored. They are then obliged to take action.

http://droit-finances.commentcamarche.net/contents/1355-depot-de-plainte-comment-porter-plainte

might help.

Thank you everyone, for your support and positive responses. We are contemplating our next move as we do not want to upset anyone in the neighbourhood, especially one who wears a uniform!

Today all is peaceful and quiet - oh what a relief! Either he is at home so the dog is quiet, or he has taken it with him to work.

Very interesting and informative replies so once again, many thanks to all contributors. Keep 'em coming......

Chancer wrote 'Some South African tenants had two "outdoor dogs" in that ther role in ZA was to protect the family and they had outside kennels, they were used to me and didnt bark, then I took a French girlfriend home with me for Valentines week-end, they did not bark at her either.

However when we were Inside my love shack where they could not possibly hear us every time we got close to being intimate the larger of the dogs would growl menacingly Woot! [:-))] and I do mean every time, it had us in fits of laugher Big Smile [:D]'

Must have been a Catholic dog

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Mint, your signature line seems wholly appropriate in this case

[/quote]

You do always make me laugh[:D]

Thank you, lehaut, so I have actually depose plainte twice as they took statements and gave me a copy and kept one and I had to sign and they also signed and tamponé everything.

I am most gratified that they did take me seriously then.......[:)]

This worries me as all three of my dogs have found their barks since I moved to a house where the garden borders the road. Previously they were in the back garden and never barked unless they were in the house and saw someone near the front door (and then it was only one of them). Now they have a courtyard with a big gate that they can see through and a garden with a wall that they can see over and seem to think anyone walking down the path is invading their territory or at least considering it.

Luckily my neighbours aren't close so hopefully it's not a problem and I do lock them in the house at night so hopefully if they bark then, nobody will hear them except us. I know there is another dog somewhere over the other side of the field opposite us because sometime he barks at something and my colie answers and I have to call him in.

I also get a couple of dogs wandering past the gate and they stop to interact with mine and that makes them go a bit nuts too. These dogs have collars on so I assume their owners just let them roam free.

I left my gates open once when I went out, so it was easier to drive back in. The dogs were locked in the house and when I came back they were barking because an old dog had availed itself of the shade in a little outhouse next to the barn and came wandering past the window when it heard me driving in. Poor thing looked thirsty but he plodded away without having the drink I offered him.

I'm wondering if my dogs will ever settle down and not bark so much when people or dogs pass along the boundary.

I've noticed they don't bother if I'm sat with them in the living room with the door open - it's only if they're out there alone or I'm not in the living room but pottering about elsewhere. So I guess they're only trying to let me know that someone is approaching, or perhaps defending their territory when I'm perceived by them as absent. The funny thing is that though they can sound blood curdling, when someone actually comes in they fall over themselves trying to say hello and get a stroke so I don't think they would be any good at all if I actually had burglars.